Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

What age did people here start playing D2? Because my 7 year old wants to play ...

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Goldtru, Jul 18, 2013. | Replies: 65 | Views: 4995

1. Goldtru

Goldtru IncGamers Member

I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand I am aware that the game is rated M, 17+, and there are parts of it - monastery, durance of hate, harem - that are wildly inappropriate for a kid.

On the other hand, he's been playing Super Mario Galaxy and it has been making him so angry and frustrated that I had to take it away tonight - not as a punishment, just because he couldn't cope with it any more. I quit playing SMG because it was making me extremely unhappy and generally causing much grief, whereas D2 has almost never made me that frustrated.

My son is fascinated by the necromancer and wants his own minions. He created a necro tonight and already got 2 skellies. He is barely able to pick up gold from the ground, and certainly can't grasp the skill tree or anything like that, so the likelihood that he would get himself to the monastery seems pretty small. I know that there are dead rogues scattered around the fields, but they aren't nearly as graphic as the torture scenes in the monastery.

What do other parents on here think?
  2. srrw

srrw IncGamers Member

Re: What age did people here start playing D2? Because my 7 year old wants to play ..

I've been playing Diablo since I was ~8 years old and I don't really see the problem. I quite frankly don't see the problem parents have with video games in the first place, TV is much, much worse.
  3. dhaos

dhaos IncGamers Member

Re: What age did people here start playing D2? Because my 7 year old wants to play ..

My sister start to play when she has 6 years old. Actually she has 8 years old and lvl 10. :p
  4. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

I would have been 10 since I was born in 1991. I don't think it should be a problem
  5. coju

coju IncGamers Member

If you want a truly unbiased opinion, I would recommend seeking more advise from another forum to add to the opinions here. :)

That being said: do you want him introduced to this genre? Has he played other violent/demonic games before?
    D2, compared to what's out there now, is 'nothing.' It's not a scary as playing doom would be or wolfenstein 3d, but it can be a little intimidating I would imagine.
  6. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

I would not let my 10 year old play it. I'm very strict on that stuff though, and they aren't seeing anything like it on TV either. I'll let them watch me play depending on what I'm doing in the game.

If it's similar to things you let him already view then I don't see an issue with it.
  7. Dazliare

Dazliare IncGamers Member

I started when I was about 10 (22 now), and at first my parents were pretty hesitant. I think for the time it was released, M was definitely warranted. Nowadays, with what's out there right now and what's on TV, I think it's much more mellow. For what it's worth, I seriously doubt it'll have a negative impact on your 7 yr. old :) I honestly feel the whole "violent video games spurs violence" is really overblown.
  8. Goldtru

Goldtru IncGamers Member

Thanks for the input. Super Mario Galaxy is age appropriate, and yet I have had to confiscate it twice in 2 days because it is making him so wildly unhappy and angry. I don't think D2 would do that to him. And I know the game really well, so it's not like I am handing him a complete unknown.

I agree that the angst over videogames is a bit ridiculous. I also find the idea of "limiting screen time" for kids doesn't make a whole lot of sense when you examine it closely. I agree that kids shouldn't veg out in front of the TV all the time, or play video games all the time, but neither should they read books all the time, or play sports all the time. It's all a question of balance. Plus our generation is so glued to smartphones (which I know from first hand observation really bothers kids) so we are total hypocrites to limit their screen time when most of the parents I see barely make eye contact with their kids because they are too busy looking at cats on Facebook (or whatever).

I read an article recently that made me pretty mad. The author's son, who was about 12 or so, loved games and wanted a WoW account. The premise of her article was that "videogames are a drug and we are the pushers!" So it was utterly hysterical. I feel so bad for that poor kid. She made the point in her article that he's active in sports, has tons of friends, and clearly is well adjusted, yet she had a bug in her ear that games were like drugs and just ran hog wild with it.

I'll certainly be keeping an eye on him, but I think I'll let him play for now.
  9. shintyguy

shintyguy IncGamers Member

I started playing at 32!!!!
  10. liquid_mage

liquid_mage IncGamers Member

I was 23 when d2 first launched. I think we let my younger brother play d2 around 9-11 years old, but wouldn't let him play WoW until he was 13-14(because of the online interaction). That being said my brother was pretty mature and responsible for his age. Personally, I think 7 may be a bit on the young side.
  11. Kitteh

Kitteh IncGamers Site Pal

I was in my early teens. Personally I would say no, but then again, I'm not a parent...
  12. Goldtru

Goldtru IncGamers Member

I think he will just be tooling around the blood moor. I seriously doubt he will get very far. I'll keep an eye on it for now - he has already created a character so I can't really take it away at this point without being really inconsistent.
  13. Swamigoon

Swamigoon IncGamers Member

Related question: Do you and your 7-year old celebrate spooky holidays like Halloween or Day of the Dead? Talk to your son and compare his D2 fun to other horror-as-entertainment that he's already certainly experienced.

Your judgment about the child's ability to distinguish between fantasy dread and horror, versus terrorism or gore in real-life, should count for something. Has your 7 year old learned to laugh at his nightmares after waking up and getting a reassuring hug from dad? Has your 7 year old also learned appropriate empathy or grief for victims (and moral outrage at perpetrators) of real-life horrors? Are you concerned about whether the child becomes either overly-sensitive or desensitized?
  14. Vang

Vang IncGamers Member

Well here is my take: My five year old plays most computer games with me that I play that he can click the mouse or number keys or WASD. Tab targeting is off his knowledge at the moment.
    So with that said he has played Diablo 3, Path of Exile, and what got him started was The Secret World. I'm sure I've missed a few other oddball games that we tried(KOTOR comes to mind)
    Now he by far enjoys The Secret World the most due to its massive skill system and dressing system so he can use different weapons and change his outfit and get pets(Anniversary event for example we got 8 of the 9 pets for him). He also will do instances up to Elite level with me in a pug (I'm a tank) Sure he dies, but he understands when to move and such after seeing what kills him, and plays better than some adults IMO.
    I think if he is playing with you it is not a problem, my son started off by himself using my account, then I finally got him his own, but I think it is awesome that he plays with me. I find games such as MMO's and games like Diablo don't hold the same type of "failure" mentality as a typical console game would by having you unable to progress if he can't beat it, which could lead to anger issues.
  15. Mungojerry

Mungojerry IncGamers Member

How can this even be a discussion... you barely see what kind of creeps your whacking or shooting a fireball at. Seems like micro managing / curling to me. You seem to understand the value of balance in life etc, which, personally, I think is far more important.. i.e not spending his (pre)teens in front of screens.
  16. Twibz

Twibz IncGamers Member

I say let him play if you are supervising and helping him out and let him watch you play, could be some great father/son time :)
  17. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

Caveat: I don't have kids and as a child, I watched "The Sweeney". You can Google that, I'll wait.

Personally, I don't think a seven year old is going to have an issue playing D2 because:
    - The graphics are not realistic (see Call of Duty)
    - If you stay offline (or just play LAN or with the forum members here) you aren't going to come across the 13 year old potty-mouths
    - I doubt they're going to be reading the story so will not understand stuff about harem
    - As regards some of the torture stuff, I doubt it will even register with them
    - Remember when you're playing, often you're so busy clicking, you don't get to look at the scenery
    - If they are at the wander and whack stage, I doubt they'll be getting to Act 3 onwards anytime soon

Unless you'd turned off the chat, I'd say the guy trying to get into the knickers of the other companion in D3 is worse.

The real kid-friendly stuff that I remember is stuff like Rodlands, Bubble Bobble or any of it's sequels. Which were great fun and friendly.
  18. Goldtru

Goldtru IncGamers Member

Thanks for the replies. Thyiad, you are right on the money. Regarding the harem, it was the mutilated corpses that concerned me rather than explaining what a harem is.

As I suspected, he is tootling around the blood moor whacking things. His main interest is in having "minions", which he thinks is awesome. There is certainly nothing on the blood moor that is objectionable, and I seriously doubt he will get beyond that. The game has a lot of "safety features" that are probably inadvertent, i.e. you simply can't see a lot of stuff until you have done other stuff.

He's actually pretty bored by the kid-friendly stuff. The first time I killed Big D it was a total surprise to both of us and he ended up watching the movie about Baal and Harrogath, and he thought it was so awesome that he rushed off to play it for real with a toy castle and toy dragons etc. The real stuff seems to fire his imagination in a way that the toned-down kid stuff leaves him flat.

Remember the Grimm's fairy tales? Those were read to kids younger than 7, and some of those still give me the shivers. Read "The Princess in the Chest" which is probably online - it's really spooky.

Thanks for the input, guys. It's interesting to hear about how people came to the game.
  19. Unfadable

Unfadable IncGamers Member

If you are going to let him play, balance is the key. My personal opinion is no, don't let him. Making sure he is in the habit of an active lifestyle now is very important and will lead him to good habits as an adult.
  20. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

<3 Bubble Bobble.