Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Welcome to the Billionaire Club

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Hardcore Forum' started by Flux, Jul 5, 2013. | Replies: 17 | Views: 1526

1. Flux

Flux Administrator

We've had threads about the HC economy lately, but as I just had my (first?) really huge windfall, I wondered about some high end econ conversation. I found a spectacular roll on IK gloves (270 str, 98 vit, 77% res all) and sold it for 1.1b. (I was amazed to see that they'd sold, and happy enough that it took me maybe 5 seconds before I began to wish I'd been more patient listing them at 1.5b.)

So, now I'm over a billion in the bank, and contemplating what to do with the riches. I'm wondering how have other people handled it when they suddenly had a huge gold boost. (You can hypothetical if it your jackpot hasn't come in yet.)

(Xanth detailed this months ago, but with smaller numbers.) How much of an improvement is really worth buying? If you had this sudden fortune, what would you do with it? Bank it, make some small improvements and continue playing safely? Spend half on immediate big upgrades? Spend it all?

And how much improvement is really worth it? Would you try to leverage your sudden fortune into markedly improved performance, for ego/fun, or increased income from item finds? Would you spend 1B to go up from say, MP2 to MP4 or MP5? Or make fewer improvements and just improve your killing time on MP1 or MP2?

[​IMG]
  2. ZappaFan

ZappaFan Hardcore Moderator and America Trade Moderator

That's always a tough call, because it gets to a point where upgrading an item for a 10% improvement means spending 10 times the gold as what the replaced item cost. When my bank got up over a bil I wanted to keep it there for a while, I didn't make any improvements right away, but I did start doing a lot of "window shopping" at just what I could upgrade, looking for the best value based on %EHP improvement vs. DPS improvement, etc. Having a bil in the bank is great to look at but it doesn't take long to find things to put those resources to use. :)
  3. ClaytonH

ClaytonH IncGamers Member

My biggest sale was a Zuni's Pox for 175 mil, which put my bank balance at 166mil after tax and with the gold I already had. I hunted for upgrades, blew 34mil on a IK helm for my barb and eventually realised I couldnt get the big upgrades I wanted with such little cash (no matter how rich I felt). In the end I simply started a monk, got it to 60 and am now in the process of gearing her. Down to 50mil gold already. It goes fast.

My second biggest find was Nat's boots worth around 250 to 300 mil, but I never got to sell them because a monk friend took them to the grave with him.

I know the next big find is right around the corner though, and I shall not despair. We press on and hope the money comes :)
  4. ZappaFan

ZappaFan Hardcore Moderator and America Trade Moderator

Personally I think the #1 goal for anybody would be to get one character up into the Paragon 80+ range and then grind to Paragon 100. My last barb did exceptionally well item finding in those final 20 paragon levels.
  5. stonerdoom

stonerdoom IncGamers Member

jesus i have only found <10M. although i flipped for larger sums but nothing over 100M.
  6. oOmpie

oOmpie IncGamers Member

Well, not quite there yet (currently sitting on around 100M). I keep oogling upgrades for my barb's items, but most of 'em are in the 9 figure range, so I simply spend some of my gold on gearing new 60's and then will hoard a bit so my bankaccount fills up a bit and hopefully it'll allow me to significantly increase my barb. That's the one I want to bring to PL100 and high MP's, the rest will be doomed to lower MP's for quite a while until the barb starts finding the good stuff :badteeth:

If I did one major find and was instant billionaire I'd probably take some time ti finally get acquainted with the market and spend like 700-800M on the barb, 100M or so on my demonhunter and the rest will have to be the start of another big upgrade in the future.
  7. Kornkills

Kornkills IncGamers Member

When I sold an item for 1 billion back in 1.0.7, I spent it all with in a week. It was awesome. And then that character died, but I had enough back up gear to hold me over for the remake to die, and to build another, my present monk.
  8. BLueBeRRy

BLueBeRRy IncGamers Member

Over the past year, I've been (overly) conservative with my bank, sold a few items for a few hundred millions and I'm currently hovering at about 640M.

My thought now, is to simply hold on to those godly items for when you need cash, and only sell them then. I keep a bunch of blackthorne ammy/pants, natalya boots, unique rings, etc. And I sell those in time of need, when I want an upgrade or need to rebuild, but inflation simply makes it not worth selling stuff and having a billion gold sleeping in my account.

I had initially been very conservative in the hypothetical event I would die and need to rebuild a similar monk. Initially, the HC economy being much less prone to inflation, it was viable to keep substantial amounts of gold. I died (to a DC), and had to rebuild what was (gradually throughout the year) a 50M monk: this cost about 150M, a year after release, and I had backup gear available. I had a break for about a month or so, and now, the price has more than tripled again for each item...

Of course, that speculation strategy calls for reconsideration with every major itemization patch that will come, or when an expansion will be released (the same way people speculated on brimstones). Oddly enough, in Europe, I find it more and more difficult to even find high-end 1H available on the AH, even at ridiculously high prices. Maybe people are doing the same thing: wait until they need gold to actually sell their stuff, to counter the effects of inflation.

--

On what to do with an insanely high balance, there's always a point where your character will only improve if you change almost half of your gear to perfect items, and change your build or way of playing somehow. Look at my current monk "Yukuri", I'm trying to get upgrades, but the truth is NO SINGLE ITEM will be an improvement, without compromising either EHP, DPS or self-healing. I'm trying, but it would require trading LoH for high LS, while keeping base DPS high enough, and being an actual upgrade requires high rolls of dex / vita / res everywhere. Compensating for 100 dex, vita or 50 all res requires me to change so much gear it costs about half a billion to a billion per upgrade... not worth it.

Character customization through permanent stats/skill points where in D2 what made you roll multiple characters of the same class (your gear being somewhat tied to your build choices)... now the economy is what made me build another monk: to free myself from the constraint of finding a cheap enough upgrade.
    That could also put your freshly earned billion to good use, and have a backup toon that you'll play differently, hence a more diverse play style.
  9. tougeznut

tougeznut IncGamers Member

When I broke into the billionaire club I upgraded most of my toons to be able to handle MP10 with ease. I had about 300m left and I used the rest for flipping to try and get back up to a billion. I'm at about 650m right now since no one is really buying high end items at the moment.

I did find that 1,000,000,000 gold affords you a great deal of flexibility in regards to flipping and making a lot more gold quickly. I used to find/look for flips in the 1-10m bracket, but suddenly realized I could flip 100m+ items, and they went much faster than the 10m items.

It's also a weird position to be in because you've finally amounted that almost imaginary number of gold coins where you can almost afford anything, but if you do buy anything then you won't have it anymore... also by the time you've earned up to 1B gold all your upgrades cost about 10-50% of that, so it's kind of the same as having 1m because all of it goes to your upgrades (if you actually spend it on upgrades anyway...)

sent from my GalaxySIII
  10. VagrantKing

VagrantKing IncGamers Member

I've never broken 1B but if I did, I think I would go on a spending spree.

If you're already well geared, I would gear a second or third toon.
  11. Flux

Flux Administrator

My stay in the B club didn't last long, though I didn't get carried away and I've still got 700m or so. I dropped 85m on some Lacunis, 90m on a weapon that's only slightly better dps than my old self-found Fist, but has 7k hps as well, bought 2 radiant star rubies (43m each, +20m for the craft to make a Marquise), and spent about 50m on crafting mats and crafts (none of which yielded an upgrade for my Nun, but did get me some very nice Vit amulets and Vit gloves for some future an INT or STR char).

I hadn't shopped upgrades in months, and was surprised to see how hard it was to make any real upgrades (other than the marquise ruby and a few other gem upgrades, which made instant 10k dps and 1k hps improvements) For 100-200m I could add 1000 hps or dps on almost every slot, but those didn't seem worth it for the price. To really boost anything on my Monk I'd have needed to spend 1-2b per item. That seems crazy, as all my current gear is 20-60m per slot, but as others have pointed out, the improvements become very gradual and extremely expensive once you get past about 50m per slot. You're looking at 2b for trifecta Nat's rings and such, if you want to make a big improvement with a single item.

I did enjoy some of the much lower leg prices. My spare boots for Ubers or high MP games were Ice Climbers with about 180 dex, 50 vit, and 45 arcane in my stash. Those cost me 60m a couple of months ago, and today I spent 29m on an upgraded version with 225 dex, 80 vit, and 35 arcane. I'm trying to sell my old boots ones for 15m now, or 1/4 what I paid for them in like, April. (If you've got spare 10-50m quality gear that's not very near the highest seed on that given item, I'd recommend selling it ASAP. The value is dropping steadily if it's not 1B+ quality, and you can replace/upgrade it for a fraction what you paid in a month or 3.)
  12. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

Hi Flux :D

So is it the Fed that sets the rates here or what I'm not up on the current Economy?

Any relation to the the IRL rates?

Like as Asia stock market goes down IRL prices drop or what?

Does the NSA have access?

Just Teasing - Welcome to Off topic All
  13. Grishok

Grishok IncGamers Member

I was close to 1B, spent it all on improving my monk which was pretty kick *** and then let him die in a stupid way, and I did all this to sink some gold for the economy! ^^

Interesting point from Zappa, with a high paragon char you'll find lots of nice stuff and get/stay rich. Quickest way to richdom is banking it all on 1 char, but the catch is he can't die or you'll lose it all. Currently at 25M btw just for contrast :)
  14. Flux

Flux Administrator

I can 2nd that. I was up to around 200m in the bank with my first Monk at p61 and making 10-20m a day on leg sales. When he died I had just done some pricey upgrades, but that meant I had about 1/2 of his gear from P50 in the stash, and was able to stick that right onto my new Monk. Even with that gear, plus most of the 200m bankroll spent on upgrades, I was markedly weaker as a char until P50 or so, and only with the recent windfall has my new Monk grown stronger than the old one was, 2 months ago.

It costs a lot more to rebuild and replace than you'd expect, and it's much harder today to bank up than months ago, since HC legendaries are selling for much less than back then.
  15. Grishok

Grishok IncGamers Member

I'm in the same boat as you were, rebuilding my 2nd monk, now at P25 so getting there slowly. Yesterday I found Inna's pants (MF roll, yeah...) and I was shocked they're listed for 2-3M... I'll focus on staying alive and the Plevels and richdom will come eventually!
  16. Lord_Vega

Lord_Vega IncGamers Site Pal

That's a really nice hypothetical question, Flux!

Personally, I have never found an item worth more than around 20-30m, and even those were considered a great find in my eyes. Guess I don't really play as seriously as I used to, in order to really gather the needed paragon levels, mf and playtime to get into that club.

When it comes to what I would do with 1B gold? Knowing myself, and knowing perfectly clear that each and every char is destined to die in the end, I would probably go on a shopping spree, and buy 1-2 really great items, instead of many minor upgrades. Then again, at the rate I am losing my chars lately (RIP my beautiful Plvl 23 DH...) I would probably need a whole set of decent gear, so I would probably go that way if this happened today.
  17. Xanth

Xanth Diablo: IncGamers Columnist<br>Clan Officer - US N

I think you should invest in flawless square topazes. You could corner the market!
  18. Kornkills

Kornkills IncGamers Member

Haha. I lost like 20 million doing that.