Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Weekly Diablo 2 challenge contest

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by zaphodbrx, Feb 19, 2013. | Replies: 54 | Views: 2969

1. zaphodbrx

zaphodbrx IncGamers Member

This is an idea I had, and received positive replies in the D2 lounge, so I posted a thread here.

We have a lot of themed tournaments, and while I like that, not everyone has the time to make a whole character and play through the game just for that. Instead for this contest we will have some simple challenges that anyone can do with pre existing characters.

The winner of the weekly contest shall propose the theme and rules for the next.

Here are some ideas that I had for the themes.
    -Low level. Clear chaos sanctuary in hell with items that all have a clvl requirement less than 10
    -Shopper. You are allowed one round of shopping at each merchant. Then go kill hell ancients.
    -Tank. Sit in the middle of De Seis gang for 1 minute without moving your mouse, and don't die.
    -Gloamkiller. Kill a gloam infested area ( like Plains of Despair ) with -70% LR.

And many more that you can think of on your own.

Current challenge

Lord of Pain

Kill Hell Duriel on players 8, using only one piece of equipment.

Rules

No mercs, but summons can be used.
    One piece of equipment applies to everything. Inventory, charms, potions, scrolls, whatever. You can only pick one.
    You can use any thing to get to Duriel's room, the restriction is only for Duriel himself.
    HC or SC are both fine, though I suggest SC. Use S&E to avoid death.
    Arrows and bolts don't count towards items used
    You can use iron golems, but whatever is used would count as an item used.
    No prebuffing with better equipment allowed.

Challenge ends Sunday, 24th Feb.

Okay, go for it!
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  2. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

You mean w/o using your mouse, right?

Are you allowed to use potions, or do you HAVE to be a wolfbarb to survive de seis? :p

Edit: I know this was just in the idea list.
  3. zaphodbrx

Those are just the ideas. The current challenge is only to kill Duriel.
  4. Dazliare

Dazliare IncGamers Member

I'm definitely in on this. Do you want some discussion about ideas for accomplishing the challenge, or should we keep our methods a secret?
  5. Kitteh

Kitteh IncGamers Site Pal

As I said before, I'm definitely getting involved in this. I was planning to video it, am I going to be the only one and look a bit silly? :loving:
  6. Twibz

Twibz IncGamers Member

I know you say 1 item so does this mean i cant use a bow, owing to the fact you need arrows :whistling:
  7. zaphodbrx

Arrows and bolts are allowed. They don't do anything by themselves after all.

You can discuss in this thread, its just a bit of fun really.
  8. FredOfErik

FredOfErik IncGamers Member

potions?

Edit: or, i could read the initial post..

I'm thinking of doing this, but it would obviously be in HC.. Dangerous but fun :p
  9. japanzaman

japanzaman IncGamers Member

Hmmm... A summoner wielding a Beast could probably handle this. Other classes would be a bit tricky. Perhaps a trapper?
  10. felixbavaria

felixbavaria IncGamers Site Pal

I'm thinking of BF trapsin with a CB item.

Pre-buffing allowed?
  11. Twibz

Twibz IncGamers Member

Ideas for each class:

Amazon: Your run of the mill, LF/CS wielding just a thunderstroke would cut him down in seconds using CS.
    Assassin: Upped goreriders, summon a shadow, and kick to death!
    Barbarian: Use Kitteh's new big BotD and zerker to death!
    Druid: Fury wolf using ribcracker? Maybe? Kinda stuck on this one?
    Necromancer: Summoner, and use beast, simples.
    Paladin: Hmmmm, Dream shield with conviction on and smite to death? would this work?
    Sorceress: Equip infinity and choose your element
  12. khuzgan

khuzgan IncGamers Member

Any class with a reliable summon can do it with any build. It will only vary in how safe and how fast it is. I believe the real easymode is a summoner necro preparing with urdars. A fun twist could be gumby +iron maiden and no other summons.
    Amazon and assasin would not be too hard I reckon. Using valk+decoy and shadow master respectively, they'd be able to do it safely from a distance. Add som heavy dmg skill for a faster run. Druids should be pretty straightforward using a grizzly as well.

I wonder how it can be done with a paladin or a barb. Can't really see how to deal enough dmg to outlast the dmg taken given that you are pretty much naked save for one item. Should I get any idea I think might work, I'll try one of those. Else we'll see what other class I come up with. I'm not that much in favor of the easy solutions here ;)

Edit: Would an Iron golem count as your item to use? Or could you summon him from some item and then equip another?
  13. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

I think some of you are underestimating what p8 durial is going to do to you and your summons with no gear.

I do agree that Necro would be the easiest, but I think all other classes are going to have serious problems surviving the fight.
  14. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

Superdave could do it easily with Valk.
  15. SunsetVista

SunsetVista IncGamers Member

Without using summons, AR, life, and mana are going to be problems with no gear. And you don't have access to many +skills either.
    ES sorc? But few +skills and not much mana regen....
    Prevent Monster Heal or a poison source will help against his regen... if you can hit.
    Is this patch 1.13d only?
  16. scrcrw

scrcrw IncGamers Member

Done. :)

I'll spoiler the details, so you can keep guessing if you want to.

My first thought was a Blizzard Sorc wielding Insight. As it turns out, teleporting in Duriel's Lair is really, really annoying and you don't have a lot of room for error. I probably should have remembered that from my tournament sorcs.

My next idea, the winning one, is a BotD-wielding WW Barb. As it turns out, the leech is barely enough to keep life up and plenty to sustain with maxed Whirlwind. The second crucial piece is maxed Battle Cry to get Duriel's defense nice and low. Pictures. The potions and extra items were used to actually get to Duriel. Stupid ghosts...

I'll add details and maybe a video of a second attempt later.

The BotD I used (1.13 15%ed base, iirc):
    Code:
     well this broke...

Breath of the Dying  Superior Great Poleaxe  VexHelElEldZodEth  Two Hand Damage: 349 - 961  Durability: 28 of 28  Required Level: 69  Required Strength: 136  Required Dexterity: 72  Fingerprint: 0x978ee95  Item Level: 85  Version: Expansion 1.10+  50% Chance to cast level 20 Poison Nova when you Kill an Enemy  Indestructible  +60% Increased Attack Speed  406% Enhanced Damage  -25% Target Defense  +53 to Attack Rating  +200% Damage to Undead  +50 to Attack Rating against Undead  7% Mana stolen per hit  14% Life stolen per hit  Prevent Monster Heal  All Stats +30  +1 to Light Radius  Requirements -20% Ethereal  6 Sockets (6 used)  Socketed: Vex Rune  Socketed: Hel Rune  Socketed: El Rune  Socketed: Eld Rune  Socketed: Zod Rune  Socketed: Eth Rune

I'm not completely satisfied with this solution, since it uses an item that's not (yet) completely common and fairly specific.

Video:
    I hope someone comes up with a more exciting solution...
  17. zaphodbrx

Some more clarifications..

Arrows and bolts don't count towards items used
    You can use iron golems, but whatever is used would count as an item used.
    No prebuffing with better equipment allowed. ( this is to prevent all those bugger call to arms ).

--

Actually I would be quite surprised if summoner necro were to win here. Yes you can use urdars, but with no prebuffing I can't see any of them getting there without choosing enigma as the item. And skeletons without enough +skills aren't that hot either.
  18. SunsetVista

SunsetVista IncGamers Member

Grats scrcrw!
    Could a Hunger Werebear with HoW and a big hurty stick do this?

Is prebuffing with shrines allowed? Combat and Mana Regen shrines would be nice.
  19. Dazliare

Dazliare IncGamers Member

I have an idea that I'll probably try tonight or tomorrow, on a paladin :)
  20. Kitteh

Kitteh IncGamers Site Pal