Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Weapons - shields

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by Panos, Oct 10, 2013. | Replies: 2 | Views: 1511

1. Panos

Panos IncGamers Member

In Diablo2 Hell
    Is any weapon getting more than socketed 6? I have a scepter 5. Is it getting any 6? I have seen another weapon 6 (didn't like it though)
    Shields get more than socketed 3?
  2. Ladvarian

Ladvarian IncGamers Member

There are two things that determine the maximum sockets an item can have. The first is the item level (or ilvl) which is determined by the level of the monster that dropped it or the level at which it was gambled at and so on. The second is a hard cap for that version of the item.

So lets take an example of a Buckler. It will always have a maximum of one socket because that is the hard maximum number of sockets it can have. If we take a death mask it has a hard maximum limit of 3 sockets. It has a maximum of 2 sockets at ilvl 1-25 and 26-40. Once its ilvl reaches level 41+ it can achieve its hard maximum limit of 3 sockets. Until then no matter how many times it drops it will only have up to 2 sockets.

I hope that makes sense. I use the The Arreat Summit for the maximum number of slots because of the ease of finding items for me. I also used the maximum sockets wiki entry for the ilvl requirements of the items. Are you still playing classic or did you get the expansion? According to the Arreat Summit the maximum slots a shield can have is 4 on elite shields or the paladin only shields. In non-expansion the maximum number of sockets is 3 I believe as you do not have access to exceptional and elite items. For weapons it depends on the type.
  3. Dawnmaster

Dawnmaster IncGamers Member

I think the reason for that is because you have no runewords, hence no "real need" for 4 socketed shields (it would however be more convenient, but then again, so would having 6 sockets shields in the expansion ^^)