Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Weapons: One handed, two handed or dual wielding

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Community Forum' started by Scipio, May 5, 2012. | Replies: 10 | Views: 24521

1. Scipio

Scipio IncGamers Member

Weapons: One handed, two handed or dual wielding

Can someone please explain the difference between the aforementioned - preferably including the more technical details as well? I can't seem to find a proper explanation anywhere.

2. The Magic

The Magic IncGamers Member

Re: Weapons: One handed, two handed or dual wielding

Well it is pretty self-explanatory.

1 handed- Fast attack, lower damage. Allows you to use an off-hand item such as a shield or mojo (WD only).
    2 handed- Slow attack, more damage
    Dual wielding - You use 2 1-handed weapons for faster attack, but no off-hand shield.

2 handers will be better for doing large damage. 1 handers are better for generating a resource such as fury, which generates per attack. Faster attacks = more fury = more usable skills

More info here http://www.diablowiki.net/Weapons
  3. flamebeerd

flamebeerd IncGamers Member

Also, for dual wielding you get a bonus to attack speed. 15% I think.
  4. Scipio

Scipio IncGamers Member

Re: Weapons: One handed, two handed or dual wielding<iframe src=http://forums.wedding

Thanks for you replies! Are there any thoughts on what will end up being better for the different classes? I know it's a complicated question, but what are people favoring?
  5. Tryzx

Tryzx IncGamers Member

Re: Weapons: One handed, two handed or dual wielding<iframe src=http://forums.wedding

My opinion:

WD: 1-Handed + Off-Hand
    Barb: Dual Wielding (Melee Weapons)
    DH: Dual Wielding (Hand Crossbows)
    Monk: Dual Wielding (Melee Weapons)
    Wizard: 1-Handed + Off-Hand

6. Incompetent

Incompetent IncGamers Member

2H weapons are usually the slowest but have by far the best base weapon damage (even in DPS terms). Demon Hunters can use quivers with a 2H (cross)bow, so this setup is particularly strong for them. But for other characters, going 2H is the least versatile option because they can't put anything in the off-hand slot.

With a single 1H weapon the DPS is less, but attack rate is higher. You have two basic options for the off hand: a class-specific booster with mostly offensive benefits (DH, WD and Wiz only), or a shield. Only true shields give the ability to block (but there may be other items that enhance block chance).

DH, Barb and Monk can use two 1h weapons at once (hand xbows only in the case of the DH). The damage and attack speed are averaged between the weapons somehow (not sure how this is done exactly), but on top of that you get a 15% speed boost.

Finally, the DH, Barb and Monk each have a passive skill whose effect depends on which weapon(s) they use, so this may affect your choice of weapon.
  7. Srikandi

Srikandi IncGamers Member

An important consideration in D3 specifically relates to resource generators and spenders. Since your skill will hit less frequently with a slower weapon (e.g. a two-hander), it will spend less resource for a hit with a spender skill, but also generate less resource with a hit with a generator skill. Obviously the converse is true with a faster weapon (DW), while a one-hander + offhand should provide a balance.

So your weapon speed choice is probably going to be driven by what specific skills you use most... which is a matter of build and playstyle. For that reason, I don't think the choice between dual-wield, 1-hand and 2-hand is going to be driven by class so much as by build.

Which is a very nice design feature of D3, IMO :) Should make for more variety in weapon choices.
  8. Raesene

Raesene IncGamers Member

This matches my opinion based on the content I've seen so far (admittedly very little). 2-handers are going to need to do significantly more dps than 1h or DW in order to be equivalent in power. Looking at the datamining though, this may very well be the case.

9. Incompetent

Incompetent IncGamers Member

For the Barbarian I think all three options look plausible depending on build. Depending on how mitigation works, shields could definitely offer enough protection to make up for the loss of +15% attack speed, for instance, and a 2h mega weapon is great for the Barb's many timered skills. That said, a heavy Fury spender build will probably need a fast attack.
    The Monk is all about speed but Daibos at least ought to be viable Monk weapons. My guess is that dual wield and staff combat will both be good depending on build, but a shield will be a waste of time.
    2h bow/xbow + quiver could be very strong for Demon Hunters. Fast hitting with resource generators is less of a priority than for the melee classes, since Hatred regenerates fairly fast on its own.
    Wizard will depend on build, but I think a Wizard who uses a lot of AP-chugging spells might prefer to maximise damage per hit with a 2-hander - gives her more damage for her AP bulb, but the bulb refills just as fast. Depends on how strong Sources are, of course, but 2h maces for instance are going to give huge damage per hit.
    WD could be a similar story to the Wizard depending on how Mana is balanced and what Mojos give him.

10. Karth

Karth IncGamers Member

Developers have said that all weapon choices are going to be viable (with tailored builds) and have their own advantages and disadvantages. The more I examine skills, passive options, gear, and monster stats, the more this looks to be correct.
  11. Frosty_The_Snowman

Frosty_The_Snowman IncGamers Member

That's very good news. Btw, I'm gonna love the look of those female barbarians with huge 2H-axes / maces / swords ! :badteeth:

[​IMG]