Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Weapon range for PvP

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by lionk, Sep 21, 2012. | Replies: 4 | Views: 959

1. lionk

lionk IncGamers Member

Hello!
    Did anybody try to duel with WW barb, using 5 range weapon (EBOTD GPA for example)? Is it possible to defeat smiter or bvb with short weapons using distance advantage of poleaxe? May be use also items with knockback or slow on him... Do u know how exactly slow works vs [SIZE=-1]uninterruptible attacks (ww, concentrate, zeal)?
    Thanks.
    [/SIZE]
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  2. Barloc

Barloc IncGamers Member

I messed with a GPA briefly didn't care for it. Anyone can toss on enigma and close the distance, then all you have left is lower damage and lower AR then a Grief/Beast combo. Besides, even without enigma, a BvB can namelock you or just maneuver to get some hits, and with shield, they need way less opportunity then you do. You might be able to clown on some newbs though with it and some of those BM tactics though.
  3. lionk

lionk IncGamers Member

Thanks for ur reply, Barloc.

I dont think that real damage will be much lower then BvC barb has. First 2 hits, on 4 and 8 frame, will have the same speed, no mutter u have 2 fast weapons or one big slow weapon, but EBOTD GPA hits some harder then Grief even including fana and 20%DS. Then, when he tele close to me and WW - I just WW away, and his face will be longer in contact with my weapon because range. With enigma it will be big sacrifice in damage by the way, near 200%. Also it danger to tele on me when i already WW and take 1-2 hits before he begin his own WW. It might be very interesting duel.

What about BvB guys? They have some higher AR and defence, because they have much more DEX and shield, and of course 75% block. But we have not just longer weapon, poleaxe barb has higher averange damage (much higher when BvB use Enigma) and much more life. Wich CoA +1 ber, Verdungo and fade from assassin armor we have maximum DR just like them. So i think some chances vs these melee-killers we have) It's so borring to duel just with small weapons, after all!) But it is just theory, not practice. I plan to make this barb and try him...

How can we slow WW speed of opponets? Cold damage - counter with ravenfrost. Decrepifity - too short duration, plus we lost time swaping weapons and casting it. Doom poleaxe - too low damage, may be with good OW and some poison it can works, may be... Knockback doesn't work when enemy in WW, but works when he just tele to us, and our WW already started. But what about slow items? How slow works on spead attack and speed movement of WW barb, and what is duration of slow effect? Do u know this? Or can u give me links about slow, how it works vs WW.

P.S. Sorry for my wooden English. But i hope u understand what i sayed)
  4. Barloc

Barloc IncGamers Member

It is lower, but you'll have to experience that for yourself.

Beast hits too, don't forget. They are the best damage combo. GPA is functional, But it is not a better damage choice

This would only be interesting if something was better. You give way too much credit to range. Most decent Smiters do not just sit there and shift/smite you. They use enigma/teleport/smite. Also common is Fist of Heavens. These things negate weapon range.

When I say toss on an enigma, I don't mean you. Anyone can put it on and get inside your range, including BvB. Your damage will be lower then grief/beast, and I can speak from experience that either damage from those or your GPA is going to be meaningless versus a shield. The extra BvC life is also meaningless vs shield.

I'm not saying you can't duel this way, you just give way too much credit to range. You might do ok vs other classes. If you were dueling inexperienced players then it might be more interesting. But it's an old game and there are alot of people who know what they are doing. I'm not a fan of slow because it is bad mannered. However, a pair of dooms on switch vs melee can be effective. If you want to do well vs a BvB with a BvC, make a BvB.
  5. lionk

lionk IncGamers Member

I couldn't answer because i was banned for a week.
    I see, Barloc, that u have experience in barb dueling. I think how effective will be thorns in BvB. For example bramble armor and lacerators on swap for amplify. Do u know how much damage will oponnent get back from thorns when he under amplify? I asked in pvp forum. but nobody knows.
    PS I dont understand why u call slow items BM, but Doom is OK for use, if they work in the same way.