Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

We need viable Maul pvp build!

Discussion in 'Druid' started by Jary, Oct 31, 2006. | Replies: 16 | Views: 885

1. Jary

Jary IncGamers Member

We need viable Maul pvp build!

Someone needs to come up with a legit Maul build that works for pvp using legitimate items, too. I've done a lot of thinking on "HOW THE HECK IS MAUL GONNA POSSIBLY WORK IN DUELZ" and I've come up with a few thoughts, but basically I come to the same conclusion.... as a skill, it doesn't:

1) ar bonus is too low, compared to fireclaw
    2) you'd have to hit like 15 times to reach peak damage, where if u just put 1 pt into the skill you'd have the same damage accumulated by the end of the duel as you would maxing it. So basically, that's a LOT of points to waste JUST for the ar bonus for dueling.

The only item setup that I see working would be using 40ias Grief PB with Fortitude and SS (phoenix vs casters?), then with 15%oias you'd swing a healthy 7 frames... sry but I think its the only item that competes in damage and speed.

Some different ideas for skill placements might be like:
    20 lycanth
    20 werebear
    8 maul
    20 oak/20 HoW (if needed ar)
    ~40 cyclone synergies

or...
    20 lycanth
    20 werebear (for %damage/defense)
    1 maul
    20 fireclaw
    ~40 fireclaw synergies
    1 oak

Both setups would make a lot more sense than by wasting 20 full points in maul for dueling
  2. Verashiden

Verashiden IncGamers Member

Maul works for LLD/MLD. It just doesn't have HLD potential :(
  3. Voice

Voice IncGamers Member

It's not only the build .... gear is a very essential thing in this topic. You cant talk about one w/o the other ... it makes no sense. I have very very very very good knowledge in mauler ... at least top 15 on all realms since it is what i deal w/ a lot. But .... as a curiousity ... tell me what gear and thoughts you have with those builds ... i want to see what viability they may have. I will reply w/ what i think after you state your thoughts.

4. Jary

Jary IncGamers Member

Basically, my point was for duels, maul never reaches its potential unless your able to town charge... and most smiters would pwn u rather than let u do that anyways, and it sucks up too many points... so my point was to sorta "build around" using maul and maybe try going Grief-Maul/Fireclaw hybrid with better ar, or getting some crazy cyclone synergies... and just rely on items for ar bonuses... 'cause even a lvl 18 maul should be good enough for duelz since it'll never reach its potential damage 99% time.

Relative Gear, I'd recommend at least:

Armor: Fortitude (must) *amazing defensive bonuses, ~30 resists, +much needed damage boost
    Weap: Grief PB (must--no exceptions... I'm serious, I've tried a lot they just dont work)
    Helm: Jalal 'Um' --no shael, 'cause I recommend bloodfists...plus you'll need the resists
    Shield: SS -->melee, Phoenix--> casters (great resists/damage additition)
    Gloves: bloodfist (30%fhr, 40 life, enough said) 2nd place: draculs, not 4 lifetap but 4 openwounds
    Boots: Marrowalk (strength 4 Fort, dext 4 ar/block +lifetap on cast, perfect) Since I use bloodfist I dont care for Treks, sry
    Ammy/rings: anghellic ammy, ring; ravenfrost: I can't think of any other better combo really

Stash: ~6Shape/lifers, torch, anni, reist/lifers+++

The advantages are, at around lvl 92 this is an easy 8-10k life build. Also, with an xtra +15% oias (I need to find a way to get an xtra 5% besides bloodfists : / ) grief Mauls at 7 frames, but the slowness in my opinion can easily be made up with good ar and the stun from maul, which sorta evens the score. A good +4shape Cerebrus is also a viable melee duel switch too, since it gives great ar bonus and open wounds ^^
    Well, that's my 2 cents itemwise... wut u think barney
  5. Jary

Jary IncGamers Member

One other method... just to try, might just going all out "lightning stick"--get like 20k+ar with 110% ias phase blade and just go MEGA open wounds+ poison charms with Cerebrus, draculs, Gore Riders, and Duress... something like that. I mean, it'd be sorta a hit and run build... which I never liked, but might have potential in some areas.

Personally I just like the Grief idea better :wink3:
  6. Jary

Jary IncGamers Member

All right, quick calculation: but with ~lvl 8 maul, u get 20-320% damage with about +18 shape skills & ~300% enhanced damage from Werebear.

So basically, Damage= 300% + 20%x, where x is each successive hit. At 320%, you'd have to hit 16 times! factor in +300% from Fort and strength, maybe around +100%, and u get Damage= +700%(weapon) +20%x. This would leave you a good 35 points or so to go cyclone or something.

If your LUCKY you might get 5 hits in a duel, gl....so with enough ar, we can clearly see that maul is worthless so can be disregarded at all costs as long as the ar is there.
  7. naturebunns

naturebunns IncGamers Member

:( just doesn't do enough damage, especially considering how the dynamics of melee dueling, DR, and life leech have changed since .09

I don't think the problem is as much AR as it is damage
  8. Verashiden

Yep, especially with everyone running around with CTA and stuff :(. However, as I said earlier (quit ignoring me :p), it's a viable build for LLD and MLD. I guess just some skills that are good in LLD and MLD can't be converted to HLD T-T
  9. Kosmos

Kosmos IncGamers Member

The problem is a combination of low damage, slow attack, slow blockrate and interruptable attack.

But i still like the Mauler. Have one myself. I like all underpowered chars for some reason. More of a challange i guess..

10. Jary

Jary IncGamers Member

Is open wounds viable though? I know that at high clvl it can be pretty deadly, although it can be used with some nice poison it doesn't stack : /

I think the equation was like:
    Open Wounds== (clvl*9+40)/256 over 4 secs.

so at like lvl 92, you'll do around 339 damage/4 secs... not bad, since it can't be sorbed or reduced ^^
    Maybe an idea would be to go like 90% open wounds with a lil' bit of poison thrown in and rely on speed and stun to get away? Widowmaker might also be an idea on switch, hmmmmm methinks
  11. Jary

Jary IncGamers Member

LOL...NOOOOOOOOoooooooooo, it MUST BE DONE! jk.
    I won't sleep till I make every crappy build work ><

12. Verashiden

Lol that's gonna take QUITE a bit of time. Maybe you can go CB crazy to try to even out the low dmg?
  13. superjayson

superjayson IncGamers Member

LLD
    MLD
    HLD
    ?
    I probably know these, just suck at remembering short forms.
  14. naturebunns

LLD: who cares
    MLD: LLD wannabe's
    HLD: ebayers

general definition anymore
  15. Josiphos

Josiphos IncGamers Member

Well. I thought about a Mauler a few months ago. The only way I could get the damages into the 'good' range were to use Ebotz or Grief Pb. Problem here was they swung too slowly.

Gris caddy with mega ias jewels, shaels, etc gave a really good fpa, but damage sucked....until you hit them like 7-8 times to get the maul going. By then, they are either dead or you are. :thumbsup:
    I suppose you could go sneak out and charge it up on some fallen and then tear into the blood moor with a full maul charge <---sorta cheap! But fair for a low-powered build.

I ended up making a fireclaws bear with some facets and stuff...4 fpa. He's only l 30 so far though.

I think the best you could hope for is to surprise some people and get some kills on zons and stupid sorcs who tele on top of you. The low AR would kill you against barbs and pallys though. My werewolf has 23k AR and HE has trouble connecting...I wish you luck though, its fun to try something different!

Maul for LLD <---Never thought about that. That actually work?
  16. Zabo

Zabo IncGamers Member

Unless you're talking about me. Then it's:

LLD: proness
    Mld: lld wannabe's
    HLD: who care's

And honestly, good luck on the entire maul thing.

17. naturebunns

<3 Zabo

but lld still blows