Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

We need a duriel thread.

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Killboy, Sep 16, 2013. | Replies: 17 | Views: 1538

1. Killboy

Killboy IncGamers Member

We need duriel thread.

My zealer pally doesn't stand a chance against Nightmare Duriel.
    I've already lost 200,000 xp
    (I don't think he's underpowered at his level, he kills every enemy 1-2 hits, killed regular Baal without dying or leaving, killed nightmare Andariel without dying/leaving)
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  2. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

If you do physical dmg and have life leech act bosses should never be an issue for a zealot.

You could buy a life tap wand if you need a source of leech for these tougher situations.
  3. Killboy

Killboy IncGamers Member

Bosses have never been an issue minus Duriel. Like I sadi Nightmare Andariel and Normal Baal weren't a problem in the least.

I do use phsyical damage and life leach and then often Charge away back to town. Life leach doesn't seem to be doing a difference. :(

It doesnt help that I accidentally saved and quit when I had his hp halved.
  4. sebhehe

sebhehe IncGamers Member

Keep Thawin Potion on. It's 50+ cold res and +10 max cold res.
  5. Namtar

Namtar IncGamers Member

You haven't said anything about the paladin other than that he's using Zeal. My first guess would be that maybe your AR, life leech, or resistances are kind of low, but it could be something else.
  6. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

Thanks for editing your original post. While being annoyed is understandable a load of ** looks a bit ... rubbish on the forum. :)

As regards Duriel. He's always been a royal pain in the rear. I almost quit D2 because of him.

Tactics:
    - Buy a load of thawing potions
    - Have a teleport scroll on your belt (I like it bound to space - nice big button to press)
    - Drink several thawing potions (they stack) and give some to your merc too
    - Enter Duriels lair and let him wail on your merc, while you hit him from behind
    - Use the TP scroll and get out of there, heal up, take more thawing potions
    - Re-enter Duriel's lair and repeat previous steps
    - Don't be surprised if this takes you SEVERAL times doing the TPing out/healing/re-entering trick.

I also found swearing at the screen during the battle was distracting. Much better to use vigorous hand signals at the screen once he's dead. And jumping up and down on his corpse.

Good luck.
  7. srrw

srrw IncGamers Member

Even my untwinked, single-pass zealot didn't have ANY issues with NM Duriel. Thawing potions are nice, but not necessary unless your cold resist is deep it the red. Get yourself some Full Juves and a faster weapon.
  8. Dazliare

Dazliare IncGamers Member

I can't remember who recommended this, but ever since I read it, normal duriel has been a cakewalk. The basic idea is that you tank him and let your merc do the damage. Steelclash is just about perfect for the job, but any shield with "deflecting" on it will do. You can shop a bone shield of deflecting from Drognan (might get lucky with a suffix too!), which helps a lot. A wand with lifetap is also very helpful, but I can't remember if it's available for shopping in normal A2. Shop or gamble a pike for your mercenary (you need to be level 20+, though realistically, 22 will make it much easier to gamble one) and go to town. Load up on rejuvs if you have them, or lots of hp pots, and make sure to have a portal up. Also be sure to use a thawing potion on you and your merc. The holy freeze doesn't do a ton of damage, but the extra cold resist will help noticeably. Good luck :)
  9. mir

mir IncGamers Member

Can you post his equipment?
    You use zeal or smite vs duriel?

^This is the best solution
  10. RobbyD

RobbyD IncGamers Member

I second Dazliare's advice: Tank lil' D - never run from him. Get a good shield and a source of leech.
  11. khuzgan

khuzgan IncGamers Member

Also, make sure to get a source of crushing blow to deal with duriel. You don't really need it for normal Duriel or if your weapon is very good dmg-wise, but on nightmare with a weak weapon it helps alot. Any source will do and the more you get the better. If you lack it from other sources, making black (thul+io+nef in a [SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]Club/Hammer/Mace) is a good and cheap solution.[/SIZE][/SIZE]

If hitting is a problem, use smite, otherwise you can just zeal away.
  12. RobbyD

RobbyD IncGamers Member

Or a Strength Cutlass - it's faster than a Black Knout, has CB, and come with built-in leech.
  13. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

To be honest, my zealers never had any serious problems with any act boss when questing. My zealer steps forward and kills him, without reatreating for new potions etc., but that might be a matter of different circumstances. We still don't know which level your paladin is or which leveling equipment you are using... if any at all, perhaps you are playing untwinked?

I'm sure you can kill nightmare Duriel with Sigon's set, Manald and Cathan's ring (perhaps replacing gloves and belt with the death set parts). Regarding the weapon, it depends on your level. A few ideas: Butcher's Pupil, Headstriker, Atlantean or ethereal Ginther's Rift. Two Sigon's parts and Cathan give you 16%LL and if that's still not enough (which it should be with ease), add an Eye ot Etlich amulet.

Other good L40-45 equipment: HoZ (surprise!), Duriel's Shell, Gaze, String of Ears, Ravenfrost, ML ring which is better than Manald's (3%ML is enough BTW).

If you can leech back more than you suffer, with the help of healing potions, you don't need CB.

*points at that*

If you run away, Duriel will charge you and that can hurts much more. That charge might not be blockable, but I'm not sure, and besides, if you are running, any monster will hit you with 95% certainty and blocking will be at one third.
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  14. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

Smite with a fast setup and a good amount of crushing blow is what I recommend against most act bosses (and Ancients). Since you are a Pally you probably have good blocking, so try to shield your merc from Duriel's hits. If he seems to prefer attacking the merc, try to click so you order your Pally to try to run *through* Duriel. That often puts you as close to him as you can get.
  15. qwernt

qwernt IncGamers Member

Do you have a source of "Cannot be frozen"? For me that was the difference for Big D for my zealer attempt. Rhyme is a nice runeword.
  16. krischan

You can also have it from Duriel's Shell (level req 41 or 42) or from the belt of the Death set (level req 6), see my tips above. From L45 on, you are using Ravenfrost, of course.
  17. onderduiker

onderduiker IncGamers Member

Duriel does not use Charge (anymore). I don't know when this changed (most likely 1.10, possibly 1.11), but if he did use Charge you'd really know about it: it would always hit and it could not be blocked, and it would apply 57-66 physical damage in Normal, 192-278 in Nightmare and 547-784 in Hell, as well as stun length (0.6, 0.8 and 1.2 seconds respectively). That would increase by 1/16 with each additional player in Nightmare and Hell, so any player without damage reduction and less than 1,500 life would always be killed outright by a critical hit in Hell at /players 8. If Smite didn't require a hit check or could not be blocked when used by a monster, he would be the bane of any Hardcore player's existence: any lag upon entering Tal Rasha's Chamber, and you might be killed by a Charge-Smite-Charge combo before you could do anything about it.

If you are running and within melee range of a monster when its attack is actually executed, it will always hit you because there is no hit check (the 95% ceiling on chance to hit only applies when there is one).

To expand, Act bosses apply 200% damage to a mercenary, while a mercenary only applies 35% damage to them in Nightmare. This reduction also applies to percentage Life Stolen, rounded down, so 2% Life Stolen per hit becomes 0% since [2*0.35] = [0.7] = 0.

Cannot be Frozen does not apply to Holy Freeze and Duriel doesn't apply any cold or freeze length. However, it would help against the Pandemonium Event's Duriel online, since he's Cold Enchanted, adding cold damage and length to his attacks: with it, only -44% attack and walk/run speeds applies; without it, it would be -94%.
  18. krischan

No charge? Hmm, that might explain my recent sorcs being so succesful with hit and run :).