Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

[Build] WD short range fire build

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by SnickerSnack, Dec 9, 2012. | Replies: 7 | Views: 2869

1. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack IncGamers Member

I found a Maximus with 310 intelligence not too long ago, and then I found a Zunimassa's Marrow a little while ago. Some weeks ago, I found a pretty nice WD helm (int,resAll, crit, socket). It would seem the game wants me to play my WD. I hadn't even finished Hell with my WD, so I slapped those on him (with a star emerald in the weapon) and finished off Hell difficulty, which I had been playing at MP 5.

I then started Inferno at MP 0. I played around with the skills a bit, and then after finishing the SK, I bumped it up to MP 1 and have been using the following build:

http://diablonut.incgamers.com/skil...uZV9CK1J1bmVfRSsyMTgxOTErMjE3OTY4KzIxODU4OCsx

I'm going to try out some more skill possibilities. I haven't tried other runes for Spirit Walk, and I'm considering swapping out Fetish Sycophants.

One of the things I like about the build is that it's both long and short ranged as needed. You can run up to enemies, drop a Grasp of the Dead, then a Soul Harvest if you don't currently have it running, and then spam Firebats. Once a few things die, Soul Harvest is off cooldown and can be used a modest heal. Spirit Walk can be used to escape if needed or to position yourself at the center of a big group at the beginning of a fight - once a few things have died, SW is ready to use again.

OTOH, you can let your minions engage first and cast Grasp of the Dead and Firebomb from a distance. You can then engage closely if you want to speed things up. Conversely, if you start a fight up close, but things get too hot for you, hit SW to escape and continue the fight from range. Between you follower, gargantuan, dogs, and fetishes, you usually have at least 6 minions total.

This build really benefits from using a Maximus:

[​IMG]

Notice the mod "Fire skills deal 22% more damage." That helps a lot when your two main damage skills are fire based. The summoned demon helps a bit as a meat shield. I'm not sure if the demon's damage output is significant.

As a bonus, you get to look like this:

[​IMG]

It's quite a fun build and you don't have to kite much. It's really only against really nasty elite packs that kiting is ever required.

Also, if anyone with more WD experience has any recommendations on improving the skills, I'd be happy to hear them.

Also, here's a link to the gear I'm using: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/mordell-1747/hero/5159802 I have a better shoulder piece (with pickup radius) out on loan. All of the items on this character were found using my barbarian.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  2. BaronScarpia

BaronScarpia IncGamers Member

My WD:
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Baron-1545/hero/954277

I was playing a pure fire doc before, but due to the (lack of speed) of firebats, I'm going with Acid Rain w/ extra radius (I used fire bats/hungry bats and firebomb/flashfire - both runes have auto-aim, so I could dodge mortars while clicking anywhere).

I play with him mostly because it's fun and it was the only char that did alkaizer runs semi-decently. I plan to Mf with him and reach paragon 100.

If the number of ApS works for you and you don't plan to use thing of the deep for extra radius, I wouldn't care a lot for stats/items. Maybe more crit chance, if you find some gloves, since firebombs seem to work well with it (crit chance, int and FR or AR is enough, since you can do it with around 30-33k life, considering your high armor, resists, jungle fortitude and no zombie dogs).

My build and gear choices, aka "story of my life + vacation plans":

My previous build was:

L: Firebomb/Flashfire: auto-aim + breaking objects for extra gold
    R: Fire Bats/Hungry bats: against elites, wardens, golgors, big stuff. (Now I'm using acid cloud/acid rain - very useful to one-shot white mobs)
    1: Soul harvest/Vengeful spirit: area damage. Big time. If you don't need the extra damage, Horrify/Stalker is great for running faster (not barb-fast, but fast enough).
    2: Spirit Walk/Honored Guest: I need the mana recharge, but Jaunt is better (namely against RD or mortar) if you don't.
    3: Zombie Dogs/Leeching Beasts: extra tanks, plus some life-leech-ish if you don't have loh/ls/etc. They ain't game-changing, but you notice the difference sometimes. One of the things I need to use due to not being careful.
    4: Gargatuan/anything except the fire one with duration: it just needs to be there.

P: Pierce the veil: Should be Grave injustice, considering thing of the deep... I like to 1-shot white mobs if possible on A3. I didn't check if it really works or if it's necessary...
    P: Jungle Fortitude: Reflect damage and mortar. Zombie dogs seem to like it, as well.
    P: Vision Quest: Reflect damage and attention problems. If I have a problem against a elite pack, it's very likely it has RD and/or mortar/extra fast. If the elite pack is nasty enough, dying is kinda part of the process. It's useful on keep dephts level 2, when you're running and gets in the middle of a bunch of fallen maniacs.

Nowadays (w/ acid rain), I throw acid rain and a couple firebombs to kill the survivors. Once in a while I use Soul Harvest + Spirit walk.

A few things I noticed with my WD, shopping loads of trash on GAH:

1) Soj: firebomb seems too take too long to kill elite mobs for my taste, so a fire wd soj is very good for elite packs. Your all res seems to be high enough to deal with RD safely. While it isn't the greatest thing dps-on-screen-wise, it's great for killing speed. I had some extra fire dps (part tals), but the soj was all I needed. Imo, WD has something I call "SoJ-bug" - your non-Zombie Bears skills only work as intended against elites if you're wearing a soj.

2) Thing of the deep: the huge pickup radius is a great thing for mf runs. Totd is one of the reasons I play with WD as my main.

Worth Mentions (but not)

4) 1 hander: Burning axe of Sankins has extra fire damage, but damage is often low and it only can have 1 of int/crit d/socket, if any.

5) Attack speed: I noticed firebomb works better for me when I have at least 1.4 aps. Maybe it's a personal thing (it's funnier to play when fire bombs are going faster), not a fact. I've played with skorn, grand vizier and manticore for a while and it felt slower, even when I had the same DPS with 1-hander.

6) Part tal set - ammy + armor can net you extra FD, problem is that the ammy can be a little expensive to be ideal... In the end of the day Zuni's seem to be better all around (or almost "mandatory" for wardens/ubers - I don't do it, but people say so).

If I could afford the gear, I would run with Crit Zuni helm + Zuni Boots + "1337" Zuni pox + SoJ(ubers)/Hellfire ring(XP) + Tal Armor/Zuni Chest (for ubers) + Tal Ammy with fire dmg and crit or something rare + Lacunis + Witching hour + Vile Wards + Inna pants... Since I'm not doing uber runs at all and maybe will try to gear a barb to do the task someday, I'm not really considering it. The build is very ok for what he's doing (act 3 mp0, Alkaizer runs in around 20 min), to the point it's better save money and sell stuff to gear up the barb than switching gear. I upgraded the emerald up to Flawless star just to reach 70k untwinked DPS - which was unnecessary with soj, but cool.

Have fun! Firebombs = win.

:wave:

PS: Your WD would look sick if you dye the helm and shoulders with infernal dye, abyssal on the rest. And that isn't optional :crazyeyes:.

PS2: Locust Swarm has a rune that deals fire damage (Searing Locusts). I never really tested it, since it was too expensive for me. Depending on the duration of the fights agains elites and on playstyle, it can be good.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  3. SnickerSnack

Actually, I have dogs from the rune on Grasp of the Dead. I can't recast a whole group whenever I want, but playing for a few minutes gets 3 dogs. I also have some pretty good gloves that I keep on my barb, but swap over for the WD. It has str,int,vit,ias,critChance, and pickup radius.

Done. :) But, I can't dye the legendaries, so I'm stuck with white armor and blue boots.

Maybe I'll try that out.

One of the things I wanted to do with this was have a close range WD. My barbarian is my paragon level (up to 25 now), so I'm not even thinking about that for this character yet.

Thanks for all the tips. I'll keep them in mind.

4. BaronScarpia

BaronScarpia IncGamers Member

I dunno, but iirc the leeching dogs are from the skill rune. The dogs are useful as tanks in the Battlefield, but I took that place out on my route.

My favored route so far is:

Crater 3, Tower 1, Crater 2 (I leave using WP on the other tower), Keep 3, Keep 2, <Rakiss> Crossing. The goal is to spend some extra time with 5 stacks and have some fun in the process. The run takes around 30 min. I can do Alkaizer route in around 20 min, iirc, but I'm rather use some mf, pick some trash and avoid Battlefield entirely, since the stuff there can go out of control.

As for boss tips, stuff on act 2 inferno dies easily, with some struggle against a few chosen elite packs. If you don't manage to kill some bosses before enrage timer, try again using Zombie Bears (namely against Cydaea, since they hit the boss and kill spiderlings in the process). Diablo fight was kinda drilling and boring on 1.0.4, but it seems to be doable nowadays (I have almost zero experience on act 4, all I know is that I managed to do "plan runs" on mp 2-3 and it worked after a couple times).

Anytime stuff mobs around you and kiting is impossible (enraged cydaea, Iskatsu), Zombie Bears + Spirit Walk + Spirit Vessel can help. Probably you won't have trouble, since your skills aren't auto-aiming, probably the source of my few troubles on inferno.

5. Pijus

Pijus IncGamers Member

@Snicker: While I won't be trying this build myself, I applaud you for coming up with it. It's pretty much the first one I've seen to take advantage of otherwise uselss items.

I won't be trying this because I'm too attached to the 20yard pickup radius on my Thing of the Deeps. Speaking of radius, you seem to have 13 on your WD. You should probably try Gruesome feast passive to see if you can boost your deeps. If you damage an elite pack enough the start dropping globes. When they start dropping globes you get healed and get more damage, and this will let you to continue to damage them.

And if I may suggest something unrelated: 1k life on hit with Rain of Toads. While the toads are hitting something I can pretty much tank the act2 keywarden.

6. SnickerSnack

That's true, but I do get plain dogs from the rune on grasp of the dead. I was considering changing that out though.

I've been getting a lot of render errors and crashes in Depths 2 when xp running with my barb. I stopped doing that area and added stonefort, which is pretty dense. Alkaizer runs are pretty short, so I'll try Keep Depths 3 and Rakiss Crossing.

I'll keep that in mind, though I generally want to be swarmed with this build. I often use SW to get into the middle of a group.

Thanks. Maximus had been sitting in my stash for a while with no purpose.

I actually swapped out my gloves and am now at 20 yards of pickup. :) I was also looking at Gruesome Feast earlier today and was trying to think of a way to work it in. I might drop Fetish Sycophants in favor GF. FS is a great skill for close range, though.

Changed an amulet and am now 1038 LoH. :) Bnet profile is not updated yet.

7. Crunchy II

Crunchy II IncGamers Member

I've heard of people using it on their Enchantress. It procs a lot, the demon is a decent tank and the fire chains does decent damage, IIRC.

8. SnickerSnack

I've been doing that with my monk. Since the enchantress buffs were nerfed, I switched to the scoundrel on my barbarian.