Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Warrior mage build try

Discussion in 'Diablo 1' started by Warriouge, Dec 19, 2012. | Replies: 9 | Views: 3462

1. Warriouge

Warriouge IncGamers Member

Thought id try put some of my magic gear on my clvl 42 warrior to see how he would do lvling.

My gear

Head: RC
    Armor: Awesome plate of tiger 133,75,42
    Shield: Crimson shield of brilliance 33,12,13
    weapon: Dreamflange
    amu: Drakes amu of sorc 47,20
    rings Dragons of wizardry 53,27 and dragons heavens 59,15

Roughly ending up with 400 hp, 460 mana and 240 ac

depending on resist requirements i put on Obsidian plate of sorcery 40,52,20 jade shield of the moon 27,16,6 or obisidan ring of life 40,25

Started out by leveling my chainl to 11 and fireb to 12 and headed down to hell/nightmare. Got really surprised how well I could clear the levels 13-15 despite the incredibly slow cast-rate by the warrior.

Have also tried playing catocombs/hell and caves/hell, mainly to find ring of dark and enchanted shrines to max the spells and also jade shield of brilliance in caves. Even though cato and early levels of caves give less than max exp it pays well since they are cleared out so fast

Turns out I could actually clear these levels faster than I would playing melee warrior, going from 42 to 44 in 3 days of casual playing. Positive i've found the fastest way of leveling with this clvl. Optimal is monsters sensetive to chainlightning bcause of the warriors slow cast being able to maximize targets recieving damage. What do the pro's say?

And what are your experience with warrior mage?
  2. AntAnkh

AntAnkh IncGamers Member

I think going for a mini-mage setup is good for the areas you've mentioned, but doesn't do well once you get to Hell/Hell. In fact, it is probably the fastest way to level from 30, but begins to slow down at later levels. Why don't you try to run some tests to see if you get faster experience at your level from chaining your way through Hell/Caves or from meleeing through Hell/Hell?
  3. Warriouge

A good idea you suggested so I tried it out.

Calculated experience gained per dungeon level and recorded the time per dungeon level so I could get experience/second in the dungeon

Caves on hell using spells

lvl9 clear time 2:49 minutes----> experience/second=5551
    lvl10 3:15 --->exp/s=5280
    lvl11 4:05--->5100
    lvl12 4:10--->5139

round2
    lvl9 2:55--->5815
    lvl10 4:55--->3549

Hell/Hell Melee
    Only did lvl13 and 14 under the assumption that 15 and 16 take equal or more time to clear

lvl13 clear time 6:20 minutes--->exp/s=3867
    lvl14 9:50--->2326

round2

lvl13 7:05--->3499
    lvl14 9:35--->2794
    My sometimes poor witch control on these levels made the clear time a bit more than necessary

Seems clear from this that at clvl 44 I could exp faster in caves/hell doing magic than melee battle in hell/hell
  4. AntAnkh

AntAnkh IncGamers Member

That's surprising and counter intuitive. I suppose this could be effective leveling even until 50. Jarulf's guide doesn't mention the exp flow completely stopping for most monsters in the caves, although I only had a quick skim through it.
  5. ravenlore

ravenlore IncGamers Member

6. Warriouge

Interesting table there, I wasn't sure either how long you could actually exp caves without losing exp due to clvl.

Nice having a plate of sorcery there, hoping to find one too. Give the guy a dreamflange, 80 mana extra and equip him the sword instead when its time to bash immunes.

Am at clvl 45 now, still doing cato/caves, need to find one more enchanded shrine then I will stick to caves

Tried to send a msg to u ravenlore, u get it? That blue scorpio mule program redecorates my inventory :/
  7. ravenlore

sorry didnt see it till today, PM sent.

as for a possible quicker way maybe this would work- 6 bountiful apoc staves, id gotter, awe/stars, 1 drag zod, 2 drag wiz. :alright:
  8. Warriouge

Clvl 46 now

I Usually complete caves and if I have potions left I try the first levels of hell/hell. It turns out the most of what you encounter on dlvl 13 and 14 you could clear faster with magic than melee.

Playable hell/hell monsters

Easy ones:
    Black knight, cave viper and fire drakes, succubusses, guardians, doom guards, snow witches

Surprised how useful fireball became when I uped it to slvl 16 even considering the cast rate of the warr. U could clear 3-5 black knights and snow witches with a single fireball

More cumbersome ones:
    Venom lords, Gold vipers, the red dogs, lightning demons

Unplayable ones:
    Blood knight, steel lords, hell spawn, balrogs (right now at clvl 46 and fireball slvl 16 it takes minimum 3 shots for a BK, had it taken 2 maybe it could be done)

Not sufficiently tested ones:
    Counselors, magistrates

There are ofcourse preferrable mixes of these monsters you would want to encounter, e.g only chainlightning or only fireball levels.

Some points to optimize the build:

-Currently playing without maxed resist on caster levels (sometimes not necessary though)

-Armor class, currently at 240ish, too little for red dogs, gold vipers, stormlords etc. Btw someone having figures of max useful armorclass as a function of clvl? Think ive seen it in jarufls but cant find it again...

-Better jewelry, plate of sorcery
  9. ravenlore

10. Warriouge

Realized I should have :) Turning it into a competition I guess I would play too much :p

Thanks for the link, great site

Only have slvl 13 on chainlightning, and actually thought it stopped dmg increase after 12 or something, guess I was wrong. Have to find a few enchanted shrines to up it

According to the calculators what i mostly need is better dexterity for block, so ideally dragzods would be used to equip the warrior for magic