Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Warhammer 40K Mafia Game Thread

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Caluin Graye, Aug 25, 2013. | Replies: 1032 | Views: 39442

1. Caluin Graye

Caluin Graye IncGamers Member

"In the Grim Darkness of the Far Future, there is only [STRIKE]war[/STRIKE] mafia."

This is the game thread for our latest mafia game. It is themed with Warhammer 40K, a tabletop game and fictional universe owned by Games Workshop.

The game starts promptly on August 25th at 5:00pm EST, and will start with a 72 hour 'twilight' phase where votes will not be counted and no lynch will occur. After that the game will proceed as normal, alternating between night and day phases.

Game Rules:
    For your convenience, rules that differ from our standard games are placed in bold. (Basically, just the voting rules)

1) You do not talk about your role or any other relevant information concerning the game outside this thread.

2) If you post at night I will kill you, no matter what.

3) If you edit your post I will kill you. This includes editing for spelling mistakes.

4) If your role allows you to communicate with others during the night, feel free to do so via PM, instant messaging or any other form you choose. Only those roles expressly allowed to communicate privately with each other at night are allowed to. If you have any questions, contact me privately.

5) Once you're dead, stay that way. Dead people tell no tales, or in this case, dead people make no posts. Suck up your death and keep watching and rooting for your team. There's always the next round.

6) Every player gets one lynch vote during the day. Votes and unvotes need to be bolded . If your unvote isn't bold, it doesn't count. The only part I'm concerned with is the 'vote:' part. As long as I can type that into a Find field and see your vote or unvote, I will count it. Case sensitivity is not required. Names do not need to be exact, but if it takes me more than a second to determine who you're voting for, I'll disregard your vote.

7) This game utilizes majority lynch rules. Unlike standard games, a lock happens the moment a majority is reached. There is no lynch + 1 rule.

8) Any posts that come AFTER the end day post or the intended end day time will not be counted, unless specified by the host. This includes votes.

9) Never post anything in the thread that shouldn't be known to the town. Don't flame in the thread. If you have a problem with anything in the thread, please PM me and I'll do my best to handle it.

10) Any player may claim any role. I.E. Any player may claim to be something that they are not.

11) Do not post any information sent to you in a pm, including your original role PM.

12) I won't be telling you the starting roles.

13) Day lasts 48 hours and night lasts 24 hours.

14) Do not post at night or edit or I will kill you.

15) You will get mod killed if you are inactive (at least 2 contributive posts a day phase) or you get a forum temp ban.

16) Read the rules once more. Have Fun! Good luck! May the best team win.

Win Conditions:
    Fairly standard stuff for my games: The legalese is just for show. Try not to read too much into it.

Town:
    Regardless if they are alive or dead, all Town players win when all anti-town threats are removed from the game. This includes neutrals that cannot win along side the town.

Mafia:
    Regardless if they are alive or dead, Mafia players win when their team controls the lynch, and no other roles outside their team can prevent them from retaining control of it.

Neutral:
    Neutrals have a special win condition that may or may not be compatible with Town/Mafia. Check your Role PM for details.

Please note again that your win condition may change at any point in this game, so check often for PMs from me.

A sample Town role PM:
    And a sample Mafia role PM:
    To help combat speculation: The Town is a Guardsman Detachment, and the Mafia are Chaos cultists that have infiltrated the unit. I will interchangeably use the words 'Mafia' and 'Chaos'.

Moderator Involvement:
    A special section just for the things that I will or will not do for this game.

I will:
    1. Try to provide at least three vote counts a day phase: I will try to post one at the half-way mark (24 hours to deadline), [STRIKE]one at the 75% mark (12 hours before deadline)[/STRIKE]When my lazy butt wakes up in the morning, and one more two hours before deadline. I may or may not do more than that, depending upon my schedule, mood, and speed of the game.
    2. Answer any and all questions relating specifically to the lore of the Warhammer universe, A.K.A. the 'fluff'. You may post in the thread such questions, or PM me directly. I will answer in the same method. Also, there is this resource: wh40k.lexicanum.com
    3. Answer mechanics questions relating to your specific role, but via Private Message or QuikTopic chat only. If you're unclear how your role works, ask for clarification and I'll happily give as much clarity as I can.

I will not:

1. Answer questions about other people's roles or mechanics.
    2. Give any game spoilers away in the stories.

Players signed up to play this game:

• pharphis
    • BipolarChemist
    • Phillinicus
    • Bad Ash
    • crawlingdeadman
    • flubbucket
    • Goryani
    • Drixx
    • ThunderCat
    • Sathoris
    • Jcakes
    • Pyrotechnician
    • Jason Maher
    • Gwaihir
    • djmbanddie
    • Zauper
    • Numbers
    • kestegs
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  2. Caluin Graye

Twilight Ends.

Day One Begins.
    Day One Ends.

Day Two Begins.
    Day Two Ends.

Day Three Begins.
    Day Three Ends.

Day Four Begins.
    Day Four Ends.

Day Five Begins.
    Day Five Ends.

Day Six Begins.
    Day Six Ends. End of Game.

Current Live Players:
    • Drixx
    • ThunderCat
    • Pyrotechnician
    • Jason Maher
    • Gwaihir
    • Zauper
    Current Dead Players:
    • Goryani - Killed Night One. Guardsman Solomon.
    • kestegs - Killed Night Two. Guardsman Mallear.
    • Jcakes - Killed Night Two. Guardsman Praetus.
    • Phillinicus - Lynched Day Two. Guardsman Narcia. Town. Macho Cop.
    • Sathoris - Killed Night Three. Guardsman Pontius.
    • Numbers - Killed Night Three. Guardsman Akadaia.
    • djmbanddie - Lynched Day Three. Commissar Alaric. Town. Vigilante. Hidden Recruit.
    • BiPolarChemist - Killed Night Four. Guardsman Dariel.
    • crawlingdeadman - Modkilled Day Four. Guardsman Drustos.
    • Bad Ash - Killed Night Five. Guardsman Quintos.
    • flubbucket - Lynched Day Five. Guardsman Jericus. Town. Vanilla.
    • pharphis - Lynched Day Six. Gaurdsman Xanthis. Town. Vanilla.

Vote History:
    Day One:
    Phillinnicus (5): Sathoris (208); Drixx (214); ThunderCat (242); Bad Ash (245); Numbers (247)
    Numbers (2): kestegs (249); djmbbandie (250)
    Sathoris (1): Jason Maher (240), [STRIKE]Bad Ash (156/213); Phillinicus (209/234); Bad Ash (213/245);[/STRIKE]
    Drixx (1): pharphis (229)
    Bad Ash (0): [STRIKE]Sathoris (152/208)[/STRIKE]
    Gwaihir (0): [STRIKE]pharphis (190/229)[/STRIKE]

Day Two:
    Phillinicus (8): Drixx (308), Gwaihir (320), Sathoris (336), Thundercat (341), crawlingdeadman (353), Bad Ash (358), flubbucket (374), Numbers (392)
    Drixx (2): Pharphis (281), BipolarChemist (369), [STRIKE]flubbucket (304/355)[/STRIKE]
    Sathoris (2): Zauper (315), Phillinicus (349)
    Bad Ash (0): [STRIKE]Sathoris (264/284)[/STRIKE]
    Pharphis (0): [STRIKE]Sathoris (284/336)[/STRIKE]

Day Three:
    djmbbandie (7): ThunderCat (504), Zauper (508); Drixx (513); Bad Ash (514); pharphis (517); Gwaihir (518); Pyrotechnician (521)
    crawlingdeadman (2): flubbucket (480); Jason Maher (510); [STRIKE]pharphis (482/517); Drixx (489/513),[/STRIKE]
    Drixx (1): BipolarChemist (415); [STRIKE]ThunderCat (429/438)[/STRIKE]
    Zauper (1): crawlingdeadman (475)
    Jason Maher (1): djmbbandie (503), [STRIKE]pharphis (430/482)[/STRIKE]
    Pyrotechnician (0): [STRIKE]Bad Ash (499/514)[/STRIKE]

Day Four:
    ThunderCat (4): Pyrotechnician (613); pharphis (616); Gwaihir (618); Zauper (619)
    Drixx (1):
    Jason Maher (605); [STRIKE]pharphis (608/616)[/STRIKE]
    pharphis (1): Bad Ash (579), [STRIKE]flubbucket (588/610)[/STRIKE]
    Gwaihir (1): Drixx (569); [STRIKE]pharphis (530/608) [/STRIKE]
    Jason Maher (0): [STRIKE]Gwaihir (611/618)[/STRIKE]
    flubbucket (0): [STRIKE]Jason Maher (599/605)[/STRIKE]
    Zauper (0): [STRIKE]Drixx (561/569); Drixx (528/540)[/STRIKE]

Day Five:
    flubbucket (6): ThunderCat (643); pharphis (674); Drixx (729); Pyrotechnician (732); Jason Maher (737); Zauper (741) [STRIKE]Drixx (647/691)[/STRIKE]
    Gwaihir (0): [STRIKE]Drixx (691/729); pharphis (651/674) ; Jason Maher (725/737)[/STRIKE]
    ThunderCat (0): [STRIKE]flubbucket (639/681)[/STRIKE]

End of Game Stuff!
    Dead Thread (Listen to everyone rant about how the town isn't lynching Drixx!)
    http://www.quicktopic.com/50/H/W4qVrjF4ZUR8t

Mafia Thread (Listen to everyone rave about how Pyro isn't getting lynched!)
    http://www.quicktopic.com/50/H/i64bVWcysDaC

Topic that I keep Mod Notes in, which includes the game setup:
    http://www.quicktopic.com/50/H/4AZb5QsGy5q
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  3. Caluin Graye

About seven years ago, I wrote a short story for another site's fiction writing contest. I composed a story called 'Outpost Sixteen' which took second place out of around eight entries. I recently stumbled across my old handi-work, and decided to expand upon it a bit via mafia.

--------------

OUTPOST SIXTEEN

"Start from the beginning, Guardsman. I want to know everything that transpired."

"Y-y-yes... s-s-sir. Well, the Captain had lost contact with a patrol unit about 25 klicks north of the FOB. Our unit, the 'Mud Grunts', as he liked to call us, were dispatched to investigate."

Guardsman Ignace coughed into his hand reflexively, which drew the stares from at least a dozen of his companions. Even the Sergeant glared menacingly, and in hushed whispers scolded him.

"What part of 'Stealth Recon Mission' doesn't make sense to you, Guardsman?" The Sergeant was a grizzled, weathered man. The stereotypical kind of officer that you expect to strike equal parts fear and respect into the men in his charge. Even at a soft whisper his voice carried weight, like a landslide of small pebbles that could easily dislodge any boulders in their path.

"Sorry, sir." Ignace looked sheepish, but resumed his watch. Ignace was a good fellow, but could often forget where he was at times. It was a habit that the Sergeant was trying to break him of.

Guardsman Carmine sidled up to the Sergeant, tapped him thrice on the shoulder to get his attention, and then signed in the sloppy, quick communication of hand signals that the Mud Grunts had invented for themselves.

"It would help if we knew what we were avoiding notice from, Sergeant." Carmine's fingers flashed furiously. "With all due respect, of course." A single cupped hand in a slow, slashing arch conveyed the last thought.

Sergeant sighed, saw that nearly all the eyes were upon him, and nodded. "Fine," he signed back at nobody in particular. "Bravo Squad was sent to an outpost two klicks north of our current position. There was suspicion of Xenos infestation. Specifically, a Genestealer Cult from the nearby hive city."

A few eyes glimmered, and a couple of the newest recruits audibly gasped before remembering the Act of Silence. The veterans, though. The ones who had been around for a while? We had faced Genestealer Cults before. Horrible things, but with judicious use of Holy Flamers and Stubbers they were broken apart just like any other sack of meat. The hardest part was locating the damned nests, and it seemed like that had already been done beforehand. So what happened to Bravo Squad?

The Sergeant seemed to have read my thoughts. "That's what we're to find out, Guardsmen."

----------------------

Twilight has started. It ends in roughly 72 hours from now, on Wednesday the 28th. No votes will be counted during this phase, and no lynch will occur.

Edit:
    13:41 PST: All role PMs are out. If you don't have one, let me know ASAP. Players can start posting immediately. I'll update the opening story shortly.
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  4. Gwaihir

Gwaihir IncGamers Member

Well, in seems we don't even know who we are fighting yet. For those who know the lore, are there a lot of options? Do you think the genestealer cult would act as an actual cult?
  5. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

Oh, twilight started.

TIME TO SPAM.

(no I don't know any lore this time)
  6. Zauper

Zauper IncGamers Member

I also know nothing about the 40k world.
  7. crawlingdeadman

crawlingdeadman IncGamers Site Pal

The only thing I know about 40k is that they have some really cool designs and the miniatures can be f'n cool to look at. *Goes to read about the lore*
  8. djmbbandie

djmbbandie IncGamers Member

I know nothing and am exhausted from driving these two days from Houston back to Cleveland. Night all.
  9. Phillinnicus

Phillinnicus IncGamers Member

Who even reads anymore?
  10. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

CG is a cultist. I read it in a magazine.

O, and I heard that 40k is Jay Wilson's favorite game.
  11. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

Please don't spam, think of the children.
  12. Drixx

Drixx IncGamers Site Pal

The starving children could use some SPAM I think. Lots of protein and fats and electrolytes in that stuff ... the kind of things they need in their diet.

Does anyone have like a 40k lore wiki link or something? I played the warhammer online MMO a bit but it was kind of a disaster and I'm not sure it was a very good representation of this setting.

Also, I'm totally trying to quit the bad habit/addiction of making wall o' text posts, so if you could help me through the 10-step process and not tempt me to fall back into my old habits of using that would be awesome. WoT posts are like a drug and I have to just quit cold turkey. Although now that I think about it, cold turkey is kind of gross.
  13. Phillinnicus

Drixx, give us detailed WoT's for every post in the thread so far. Including CG's.
  14. Drixx

Drixx IncGamers Site Pal

LOL. 10chars.
  15. BipolarChemist

BipolarChemist IncGamers Site Pal

*applauds the effort*
  16. Caluin Graye

Check the sign up thread opening post. There's a link there to a good wiki. I'll provide an actual link later, when I'm not on my phone in the theatre.

Also, the Fantasy Warhammer universe shares some minor similarities, but the MMO was just not very good gameplay wise nor lore wise.
  17. Phillinnicus

Some things I've noticed so far:

- Drixx's posts aren't long enough, therefore mafia

That's it. :p
  18. Drixx

Drixx IncGamers Site Pal

You're just mad that I made the redshirt joke about your avatar in the last game. To be fair, it totally wasn't meant as an insult. I was thinking of the LOST episode when Boone was explaining the redshirts to Locke when I made the post. Wait ... you had that avatar last game and you were totally mafia then!!!
  19. Jason Maher

Jason Maher IncGamers Member

That CG person looks dodgy as hell to me... :badteeth:
  20. flubbucket

flubbucket IncGamers Member

So I'm currently playing a mafia game based on a piece of fan fiction which could only win second place?!?!

I am disappoint