Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Want to share a share a quick comparison i made

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by Tarvold, Apr 12, 2012. | Replies: 5 | Views: 808

1. Tarvold

Tarvold IncGamers Member

Want to share a share a quick comparison i made

Hi all barb lovers out there. I've recently grown to love my all purpose frenzy barb without a merc, so much in fact, that i wanted to test the killing speed of it against my regular booring cookie-cutter hammerdin. So that maybe if it performed well, i could finally delete the hammerdin from my account for ever.

The comparison i made was over a series of 5 CS runs with each character, basically because of the static map in CS. The time started at the WP and the goal was to kill every single monster inside CS including Big D himself. This was to be done with easy access gear and without any super gozu stuff.

A little recap of the gear they're using:

Barb (5 fpa frenzy, 63 fcr tele):

Dual grief PB
    Highlords
    Arreat
    Eni
    Gore
    dracs
    string
    raven/manald
    Switch: (dual spirit for BO, mana, fcr)

Paladin (125 fcr):
    Shako
    mara
    hoto
    eni
    spirit st
    wt
    arach
    mage
    soj/fcr

So here's the result:
    RUN1:
    Barb: 6:21.6
    Pala: 3:40.6

RUN2:
    Barb: 5:33.7
    Pala: 4:05.8

RUN3:
    Barb: 5:43.4
    Pala: 4:09.5

RUN4:
    Barb: 4:16.1
    Pala: 3:37.3

RUN5:
    Barb: 5:34.5
    Pala: 3:20.2

Final score:

Barb: 27 mins 29.3 seconds
    Avarage run: 5 mins 29.9 seconds

Pala: 18 mins 53.2 seconds
    Avarage run: 3 mins 46.6 seconds

So in avarage with my gear setup, the paladin does the run in 2/3 of the time compared with the barb.

To reflect on the results, CS is much more suited for a hammerdin with its large packs of undead monsters which is not very good for leeching (i'm going to do a similar test trying out different gear setting for barbs such as azurewrath,LoH and Guillames).

A more suitable place for the barb would be baalruns where the hammerdin would struggle with 2nd wave or The Pit where the monsters are not so clogged together.

As I said, a really small comparision to give you a little reference of how a frenzy barb stand against a hammerlol.

Thanks, hopefully you'll find it somewhat intresting.

Please suggest further battles that i can put my barb and hammerdin through.

Edit: Forgot to mention the whole point of why i prefer my barb...he doesn't use/rely on a merc
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  2. Karth

Karth IncGamers Member

Re: Want to share a share a quick comparison i made

You didn't use a merc on the barbarian at all? Or just didn't rely on it for mana or whatever? There's a big difference. The merc could make up for a lot of the speed difference with might+conc or might+decrep.
  3. Tarvold

Tarvold IncGamers Member

No merc at all, that was the whole point with this barb (and i still forgot to mention it).

I realize that i could cut the time with a merc but i dont intend on getting one.
  4. crawlingdeadman

crawlingdeadman IncGamers Site Pal

hammerdins dont need mercs either...
  5. Tarvold

Tarvold IncGamers Member

But in this test I did...

I guess without a merc on paladin the time would be a little closer to the barb.

Update: Got myself a last wish so im probably going to run a couple of times to compare with the other results. Also going to run with a azurewrath.

For the sake of it i am also planning on using a merc with eth reapers, eth fort and guilliames to see how much time that can cut

6. hubb

hubb IncGamers Member

With Enigma the Reaper's makes a pretty big difference, as Decrep usually procs immediately after you tele into a pack. Azurewrath might make a difference but I doubt that LW will do much for you (especially once you get the merc).

As you won't be facing Gloams or Frenzytaurs or anything else that might catch you unawares, you can also swap out Arreat's and Dracs for Guillaume's and Laying of Hands without any real danger of dying. In any case if you throw a War Cry or two once you've landed in a pack you can hack away at them with impunity :yes: (edit: Only saw now that you already said you were gonna try these out)