Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Video with some odd claims about Diablo

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Klathum, Apr 7, 2012. | Replies: 22 | Views: 1562

1. Klathum

Klathum IncGamers Member

Video with some odd claims about Diablo

I came across a pretty good video on youtube summing the lore before humans were created. However, I reed all Diablo books there are I am really a huge fan of it's lore and some claims in this video stroke me like a lightning :) I am not sure if the video is correct, if it is then there must be a book I've missed :) so I guess someone here could explain it to me.

First of all it says "both sides fought over the heart of creation". Now it sounds to me like it's implying that the whole war started because of the worldstone. But wasn't it discovered in the course of the war, after it started? Well maybe it's not implying, but I kinda am not sure.
    Second it says "Inarius, the servant of Archangel Tyrael" Now wasn't he the brother of Tyrael? I know angels can't be born as brothers, they can be brothers in arms etc, but kinda odd for someone to be a brother and a servant at the same time. I never heard he was a servant of Tyrael, and it's also odd to have a "servant" screw them all over... So I just wanna know is this correct?
    Third the video shows Rhatma in the form of some snake oO

so yeah, I guess I need an update. What happened to Dablo lore? :) I thought Blizzard will stay true to Diablo...
    soz on bad spelling

here is the video:
    [video=youtube;Td-PzXTCcoU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td-PzXTCcoU[/video]
  2. grunge

grunge Banned

Re: Video with some odd claims about Diablo

It's probably going to get butchered just like SC2. Pity.
  3. marshmallow

marshmallow IncGamers Member

No.

Tyrael in DII:

4. Wildmoon

Wildmoon IncGamers Member

There are some part that were retconed. Not necessary a bad thing.
  5. Wildmoon

How SC2 lore got butchered? -_-" The story around Jim Raynor was told pretty well. It is even better if you read Devils' Due.

6. IgorAl

IgorAl IncGamers Member

Just ignore him! I started arguing with him recantly before i realized he is one of those people who whines about everything. Save yourself time and dont dignify him with a discussion!

7. JackalYYC

JackalYYC IncGamers Member

Izual does not = Inarius.

Read the Sin War trilogy, Inarius is covered in great depth.

8. z00t

z00t IncGamers Member

Yeah, they retconned some stuff - the Worldstone has indeed existed since possibly before Angels and Demons came into being, since it's a remnant of the final cataclysmic battle between Anu and Tethamet (these guys are also new to the canon).

Instead of the Worldstone being something that Heaven and Hell find during the course of their war, the Worldstone WAS the reason for their endless war.

Of course, now that it's blown up, I'm pretty sure that Heaven and Hell would still be happy to see the other destroyed all the same.
  9. JackalYYC

IIRC the Worldstone was something that changed hands constantly. It didn't move from faction to faction, but the hold which housed it (Pandemonium Fortress I think) came under demonic and angelic control, back and forth.

Then, Inarius teamed up with Lilith (Mephisto's rugrat) and they stole it away, hid it, and took on the role of "the Creator". They birthed Sanctuary and the Nephalem, kept it veiled to the rest of the universe, and lived happily ever just a little while.

The angels and demons kept warring with each other, each side believing that the other had taken the Worldstone and were playing keep-away with it.

I may need to read them again, but pretty sure this is somewhat accurate. Feel free to throw in corrections!
  10. marshmallow

marshmallow IncGamers Member

LOL OOPS! That's what I get for reading too fast. In that case, the only pre-Knaak reference to Inarius I know of is from the D1 manual as background for the overlord enemies:

I guess you could call that a retcon but I think they did a good job updating it and keeping it mostly consistent considering they wrote the original material in '96 or thereabouts. They kept the main points of him making his own world, fighting demonic religions, and being a prisoner of Hell.

As for the worldstone, it's not even mentioned in the manuals and just kinda appears in LoD as a MacGuffin with no backstory and very vague references to what it even does. So Blizz can do and say pretty much whatever they want about it for D3 without being accused of retconning.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  11. Namik

Namik IncGamers Member

As for Worldstone, quotes from "Book of Cain" (current canon for Blizzard):
    "In the epicenter of reality lies Pandemonium, the scar of the universe's violent birth. At its chaotic center lay Heart of Creation, a massive jewel unlike any other: the Eye of Anu -- the Worldstone. It is the foundation stone of all places and times, a nexus of realities and vast, untold possibility."

"In time, the Lords of Hell and the angels of Heaven met and clashed. The battle raged unceasing, and thus would come to be known as the Eternal Conflict. It is written in the Book of Long Shadows that the Eternal Conflict shall continue on forever across countless planes of existence, until futher mysteries, unknown even to the angels and the demons, shall reveal themselves."

"This war was most commonly fought within the realm of Pandemonium. According to one of the earliest necromancers, the angels and demons battled over control of one essential object, the Heart of Creating -- the Worldstone."

"Further research suggest that in time, an archangel called Tyrael ordered a bastion to be built around the Worldstone, a stronghold which would come to be known as the Pandemonium Fortress."

"Long ago, an angel known as Inarius seized the Worldstone and, through some impossible act of magic, veiled it from the sight of both Heaven and Hell. He had accomplished this with the aid, I presume, of the mysterious demoness Lilith and cadre of the other angels and demons who had grown disillusioned with the Eternal Conflict. Inarius succeeded in manipulating the power of the stone to create the world of Sanctuary, a hidden paradise where he and his followers could live free from the madness of unending strife."

"The day of Sanctuary's creation, the nature of the Eternal Conflict changed. Much confusion spread through the Burning Hells and the High Heavens. The center of all things they had fought over the countless millennia had vanished. It was simply gone. At first both sides suspected the other, but in time, they realized that the truth was something diffrent. Thus it was that the battle for possession of the Worldstone became the search for it."
  12. Spens

Spens IncGamers Member

They retconned the Demon Hunter (he is no longer blind) and nobody seems to care about that.
  13. grunge

grunge Banned

Well maybe you should just look at the game. For example, at the end of Brood War Raynor swears to kill Kerrigan. In SC2 all of a sudden she is a long lost love and damsel in distress of Raynor who needs saving pronto. Maybe add some sideboob. About the novel, I don't really care cause it was written to back up the SC2 nonexistant-story.
    You can kick the on-topic back into overdrive.

14. Mage Slayer

Mage Slayer IncGamers Member

When was the Demon Hunter blind?

15. Zorrah

Zorrah IncGamers Member

The Demon hunter was blind in WoW.
  16. JackalYYC

Warcraft lore, races, bestiary, etc., abide by different rules and facets than Diablo.

In Warcraft, demons are members of the Burning Legion, many of whom have been converted and transformed when their home-worlds were conquered. Originally, there was a race called the Eredar, but once Sargeras the Destroyer discovered them, he converted some (into "demons") and sought to slay the rest who would not join him.

As we all know, demons do not fit this bill in the Diablo universe.

I'm sure there are plenty of other examples that could be used to illustrate how WoW does not = Diablo, but I'm only a little bit (see this post) motivated to point them out.

17. Klathum

Klathum IncGamers Member

So I guess it's the book of caine then. Damn, I'll have to get it somehow. Thanks, your post enlightened me :) Now I know the video was not bull****ing me XD

18. JackalYYC

If you really want to get in some good Diablo lore / background, definitely get The Book of Cain, Sin War Trilogy (a much deeper read, but great) and the Diablo Archive which is 4 books in one: Legacy of Blood, The Black Road, Kingdom of Shadow, and Demonsbane.

There's also Moon of the Spider, but I can't recommend it as I have yet to find it (haven't looked very hard).
  19. Wildmoon

"James Raynor, I bring tidings of doom. I have pierced the veil of the future, and beheld only oblivion. Yet one spark of hope remains. You will hold her life in your hands, and though justice demands that she die for her crimes, only she can save us." Zeratul

This is why he didn't kill her. Anyway, He still feel responsible for what happened to Kerrigan and I can't see what's wrong with that. The story still has 2 part left.

20. fmulder

fmulder Site Contributor

Moon of the Spider is by far the best Diablo novel IMHO, I highly recommend it.