Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

[Guide] [Video] The Archon Guide

Discussion in 'Wizard' started by Jaetch, Jul 31, 2013. | Replies: 3 | Views: 5078

1. Jaetch

Jaetch IncGamers Member

The Archon Guide
    Compiled by Jaetch

I'm pleased to announce that after working on this video for over three months, I finally have something to show.

This is a video guide designed to help players who are new to (or confused about) the Archon wizard build. Most experienced players may find much of the content in this guide very familiar, but hopefully there are some elements in the guide that can still prove to be enlightening.

Disclaimer: names, items, places, etc. featured in the video belong to Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. All music used belong to their respective recording artists. All included footage credited to their original recorders. No copyright infringements are intended. This video is not to be used for personal profits.

(00:02:14) Chapter I: Overview

(00:03:40) Chapter II: Gearing
    - Gear Choices
    - Upgrading Demo
    - FAQs

(00:49:10) Chapter III: Skill Selection
    - Active skill choices
    - Passive skill choices
    - Alternate skill choices

(00:55:41) Chapter IV: Gameplay
    - Using Archon
    - Using Critical Mass
    - Tips & Tricks

(01:02:49) Chapter V: Farming
    - Act I, II & III Routes
    - MP Selection
    - Paragon Farming

(01:17:46) Chapter VI: Ubers & Bosses

(01:20:17) Chapter VII: The Future

Approximate run time: 86 minutes

Notes:
    - On occasion, pop-ups will show up on the screen. Feel free to pause the video to read them as they act as supplementary information to what I'm talking about.
    - I speak very fast and I apologize in advance for that (I've considered subtitling this; perhaps in the future if absolutely necessary).
    - There are some things I intentionally left out of the video because they pertain to elements not specific to the Archon build. If I covered absolutely everything that remotely deals with the build, this video would be as long as "Gone With the Wind" and I'd be locked up in an asylum by now.
  2. Lord_Vega

Lord_Vega IncGamers Site Pal

Wonderful guide, thank you! :)

The only thing I am left wondering, is how would one new to the game (or at least coming back to the game, and HC at that) approach the issue of building up an archon wiz upon hitting level 60. This would be a really low budget.

Any suggestions?
  3. Jaetch

Jaetch IncGamers Member

I avoided talking about budgets and item costs because they're fickle and change over time.

The point is to understand what type of stats to look for not the items themselves (it just so happens many legendary/set items have the necessary stats). You can go for low stats, but the right stats, then jump into low MP levels and work from there.

Low DPS, low EHP, but the right type of stats can do low MPs. You raise DPS/EHP to slightly higher numbers—still with the right type of stats—and you go a little higher in MP level. You'll gain paragon levels for bonus stats as well to contribute to the growth. That's progression right there.
  4. Lord_Vega

Lord_Vega IncGamers Site Pal

That line of logic makes perfect sense, and will definitely be the guiding line in my future questing, thanks!

I was wondering more about whether there's some sort of issue with speccing into an archon wiz as early as level 60 from a fresh players' POV. I guess that with the multiplayer boni to Archon since 1.08 it's a lot easier to sustain perma-archon either way.

I want to thank you again for an extremely comprehensive guide which obviously took tons of time to put together and edit! Greatly appreciated, Jaetch!