Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

"Veteran" returning for advice and chit-chat

Discussion in 'Diablo 1' started by doughnutjimmy, Jul 18, 2012. | Replies: 13 | Views: 7269

1. doughnutjimmy

doughnutjimmy IncGamers Member

Hi all, i've registered for the forums after spending a good couple of weeks' worth of lunch hours scouring all these threads and having a whale of a time (no pun intended) reminiscing over them.

I've recently dusted off the game that i first started playing probably 10 years ago, and finally got it working in XP. Got a 20clvl rogue and just turned my sorc (my fave character) in to a 30clvl so will probably attempt some hell/church runs for more books and shrines later today.

I thought i played this game to death but obviously didn't as i never did find these ridiculously good zodiac rings you all talk about. I would imagine these are mostly found in hell/hell runs and i think in the past my best character level was around 35 so didn't attempt too many of them. I therefore feel i have a lot more playing to do before i reach my goals :)

I have a few more boring things i would like help with if you please, and have come across some threads in my travels but;

I am currently playing on the straight-out-of-the-box v1.0 which is less through choice and more through not successfully finding a patch i can get to work.

I have tried a few v1.07 patches but when i try and patch them i get some sort of error that i cannot think of off the top of my head.

Could anyone give me links to any working patches for the most up to date or best version of D1 and a quick little step-by-step on how to patch it successfully?

One reason for doing so is because i understand on newer patches the MP character directories are saved in a more obvious folder for easier backing up. This is my main reason for wanting to update, as i am currently playing this on a flat-mates laptop and will be moving out in a month. I don't particularly want to start all over again and want to legitimately take my characters with me (for the record, i have only ever been a legitimate player in any game).

Any help/tips/advice/random chit-chat is appreciated!
  2. ravenlore

ravenlore IncGamers Member

http://freshmeat-blog.de.tl/Battle-.-net.htm

did you try to DL it from there? Im pretty sure that one works. they have the latest 1.09
    good luck!

...once you get that sorted out you should be able to build a clvl35+ sorc in 2 days (maybe 3) so getting past your previous high should be pretty easy and then youll be able to find some elite zods. :yes:
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  3. USEast Tristan

USEast Tristan IncGamers Member

my understanding is that hell drops are identical to normal drops except for the gold pieces, which are scaled (and of no consequence). most of the badass items are dropped by laz'n'girls. I've found some zodiac jewels running him in normal, but have not lucked out on getting second mods with them. I try to mule any good items by backing up the character at that moment, naming the file for the item.

The latest patch is 1.09b I think. I thought bnet loaded patches for clients, but I guess it doesn't for diablo. use google then
  4. ravenlore

ravenlore IncGamers Member

yeah, pretty much the same droprate per difficulty on most things. (exceptions- cursed items vary a ton, some uniques like HoS) some will have a tiny bit less on norm, but your hourly clear rate will be so much better that it never matters. (example- awe/stars shows a .0007 difference, lol)

as for how to run to get the best stuff you should do all of dlvl16 as well as any soulies, cages, dlvl15 bodies/chests etc, and all the unique monsters along the way. these are all drag/zod obs/zod possible monsters.

5. sojourn

sojourn IncGamers Member

Here are all the official files you may or may not need: http://ftp.blizzard.com/pub/diablo/
    The d109_x64 / x86 is a registry fix for those getting pixelated color problems. There are some various tools and programs you can use to enhance your Diablo 1 experience, like windowed mode, stash, LAN patches, etc, but these are all unofficial and don't work with bnet.

To get the old chars (before 1.09 patch) they are saved in your C:\Windows\ folder as dlinfo_#.drv.
    I think you might have some errors with the conversion, as I had the same issue 12+ years ago and think I lost some items after the patch to 1.09. You can also use an item exporter/importer to transfer your items from the old patch to the new patch, but there's also a question of 'legitness' involved in using those programs.

As for drops, the rest of the posters have pretty much gotten it set.
    You might want to refer to Jarulf's Guide when it comes to drops, there are a few categories you have to consider.
    I'll use some general terms in my own definition: blvl, milvl, and pslvl to make it easier to understand (JG's takes awhile till you can fully understand it).

blvl = base item level. IE, a full plate mail is 25, while a ring mail is 9.
    milvl = monster level for dropping items. Some might have a separate level for the monster, and a level for the items they drop.
    pslvl = quality level of the prefix/suffix. King's is 28, while Vampire is 19, Haste is 27, Awesome is 25, etc. Consult JG for the full list.

In order to get a specific drop, all three abbreviations above have to satisfy the kill/monster's conditions. in Nightmare and Hell mode, the blvl is increased for all monsters, but the milvl remains the same.
    A Fallen One in normal has a milvl of 1, while in Hell difficulty it can have a monster level of 31, but the milvl is still 1. The blvl is increased appropriately.

So, in normal mode a fallen would never drop a Full Plate, but in Hell it can.
    Then when it comes to pslvl, while that Fallen One might drop the Full Plate in Hell mode, but it'll be a crappy prefix or suffix of the item.

Finally, when it comes to getting both a Prefix and a Suffix to spawn on an item, it gets harder. You might find Rings of the Zodiac or Obsidian Rings fairly more often than getting an Obsidian Ring of Harmony, Obsidian Ring of the Zodiac, etc.
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  6. doughnutjimmy

Thanks for all the help so far guys. So i'm trying the patches from the link given and i get the following error message after downloading:

Blizzard PrePatch v2.23 compiled on Mar 17 2000
    This program patches Diablo retail version
    Log created at 9:22 am on 07/27/2012
    ERROR: unable to execute command 'C:\Diablo\BNUPDATE.EXE'
    The requested operation requires elevation.
    RESULT: Prepatch failed

Any ideas? Do i need to alter the compatibility settings on the .exe?
  7. sojourn

sojourn IncGamers Member

I think you should probably run the patch with administrator privileges. Right click, "Run as Administrator" and it should probably work.
  8. doughnutjimmy

That is fantastic sojourn, worked a treat! :)

Is there a list of updates and bug fixes with v1.09 so i can see what's updated/fixed?

I'm hoping i can copy my characters more easily now when i move out and start playing on a new laptop.
  9. doughnutjimmy

This does not bode well my friends. Since updating to 1.09, i have managed to play Diablo once, maybe twice with no problems.

However, last night i tried to play, and the game kept crashing whenever i went down in to a dungeon. It just stuck on the loading screen and the CD kept whizzing round really noisily. Tried a restart, same problem, different characters and different dungeons, still the same problem.

Pretty gutted as i dropped all my sick rings and spare gear in town the first time and lost it all.

Any idea what is going on? Can it be related to the updated version at all?
  10. AntAnkh

AntAnkh IncGamers Member

I've never had such a problem, and I doubt if it's related to playing with the newest patch. Is it possibly a CD problem? Try cleaning your CD and check if there are any scratches or marks on it.
  11. doughnutjimmy

Very strange. That seemed to do the trick. The CD hasn't been out of the drive for a couple of months so not quite sure what happened.

The disc does have a few minor scratches, and the spinning noise would suggest it had trouble reading the CD.

All good now though, thanks! :)
  12. TeneiStarSierra

TeneiStarSierra IncGamers Member

Hi there,

I too didn't have such extreme problems with the 1.09 patch. Another option to eliminate the color issue is to just open the screen resolution window from your desktop via right mouse click. With that window opened start Diablo. The color bug just reappears by chance if any other window opens on itself while playing Diablo. Then just return to your desktop, close the window and re-enter your Diablo game.

@doughtnutjimmy: I'm very sorry to hear that happen to you. I don't know if there's a link between your problem and following information. Look at that remark in Jarulf's Guide (http://www.bigd-online.com/JG/JGFrame.html):
    "10.5 Daylight-saving time problems in Diablo

Version 1.00 of Diablo had a bug concerning the daylight-saving time. Due to
    this bug, any character saved by a game from a later version will lose
    all its items if you run version 1.00. This is important to remember if you ever
    have to reinstall Diablo. If you do so, you should not update via
    Battle.net. You should not press the "Multi player" option on the game
    menu until you have manually updated to a later version. An alternative would be
    to backup your characters, update in whatever way you want, and then restore
    your characters after you have updated."
  13. doughnutjimmy

Thank you TeneiStarSierra, i have had the colour bug just twice, but as you say, closing and re-entering fixes that.

I will definately remember to do the above in bold when i copy my multiplayer characters in a couple of weeks, certainly don't want to lose all my items ;)
  14. doughnutjimmy

So i finally got myself a laptop at the weekend, and successfully transferred my characters. Thanks for the tips above!

I have managed to patch the game, which was much easier on Windows 7 than XP i found, and the game runs generally OK with no issues, as long as i don't hit certain keys on the keyboard by mistake!

However, the laptop i bought has a pretty strange keyboard set-up. Basically to change my spell shortcuts i have to hold "FN" and then press the relevant Fbutton. This is a ball-ache for my sorceror and means i can't tele around and fireball/chain lightning very quickly at all.

I suppose i have 2 questions; is there a way to change the keyboard/shortcut set up from within Diablo, or even the back-end?

Or is there a way to CAPS this FN key on this laptop? The laptop is a Toshiba C850.

Any help is greatly appreciated!