Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Using MP for Normal Leveling

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Hardcore Forum' started by Delano, Mar 13, 2013. | Replies: 8 | Views: 2595

1. Delano

Delano IncGamers Member

I finally caved to HC about a week ago, and have been experimenting with using a high monster power on normal difficulty. I just started in HC so I'm effectively self found no ah. I was doing well at MP 10 with my first barb until act 4, when things got dramatically more dangerous. Are there any common knowledge tips about how to use MP to throttle difficulty vs. reward?
    I just started playing for the first time since release so I'm sorry if this has been gone over but I didn't see any recent threads about it.

Also Stalkman #1754 Americas if anyone wants to show me the ropes/flounder with me.
  2. oOmpie

oOmpie IncGamers Member

Tbh I wouldn't recommend MP10 when you're playing selffound.
    When you can twink from previous characters it works, but selffound I'd stick to MP1...
  3. Delano

Delano IncGamers Member

Well I'm on my 3rd barb at this point so there's a stash of heirloom items. Partially it's to keep act 1 interesting.
  4. Malentros

Malentros IncGamers Member

I'd say A1 at MP10 self-found is unefficient, unnecessary difficulty, but SO MUCH FUN! Man, when I finally got those Skeleton Mage dudes who spawn other skeletons on Crypts lvl2 (I was playing with a DH, my friend on his Wizard) and we spent about 10 minutes running around the room killing them slowly while kiting / avoiding the huge packs of skele's that had spawned. Was it worth the 3x experience gain to take 10x longer to kill things. Probably not. But yeah it did keep things fun and interesting.

MP10 becomes efficient for leveling once you get level 15 and can put a ruby in a socketed weapon. If you're playing fully self found, that would be cheating though. With heirloom items, you definitely want to be somewhere between MP5 and MP10, based on how safely you can deal with elite packs with your class and the skills available.
  5. spiffymcbang

spiffymcbang D3 Trade Moderator<br> America, USEast (D2)<br> Ne

I prefer MP0 for safety and just move along farther faster rather then move slower.

So instead of finishing ACT at level 15 or 17 since you had the MP turned up I prefer to finish it faster and finish at level 13 or 14 if you can and move on into act 2 sooner and get more experience from those monsters rather than staying in act 1 longer.

If you think about it the there is a monster somewhere in act 2 on MP0 giving you the same experience as cultist in act 1 at MP10 (or whatever MP you pick) So I want to find the sweet spot further along than the earlier in the game. Plus I feel MP0 is safer.

This applies to solo leveling style rather than power leveling with buddy.
    This also applies more to a walk thru rather than just farming certain high monster density area over and over and skipping other content. If you do this method then you just need to balance exp with kill speed. Run some tests and see how much exp you get over time (20 minutes or so) at various MP difficulties and see what is most effiecient for your gear.
  6. Delano

Delano IncGamers Member

Excellent thoughts, I appreciate the different approaches. I find a balance between overleveling the monsters at mp10 and not getting items my level vs. overleveling the monsters and using the overleveled advantage to be safer. The crafting system doesn't care what act I'm on, and that allows me to upgrade my items while banking crafting mats from what I do find. It feels a lot safer to go slowly at MP10, or more specifically; it keeps me present, focused and honest than barreling through at mp 0.
    Easy makes me reckless, and a large part of the challenge of HC has been for me that normal difficulty MP0 is so easy I push myself until I'm face down.
  7. slyraje

slyraje IncGamers Site Pal

I went through Normal-Hell at higher mp's a couple times, and enjoyed the experience. However, I've died enough to make getting back to 60 as fast as possible my prime objective. I've stockpiled enough mid level legendaries and decent rares to see me through mp0 pretty quickly.
  8. Muggs

Muggs Clan Officer - US West Hardcore

I run mp5 till about level15 then I use a socketed weapon and do up mp10. If you are running with any type of socketed weapon with a ruby in normal you are overkilling mobs 10fold and you are wasting damage. Also for me normal is a chore and boring as all get out so I prefer mp10 for the tiny bit of challenge. I am currently leveling another wizard in act3 NM and lvl52 because of playing in MP10. If you are going self found then it is not an option but if you are like me and have pages of shared stash for leveling gear then you are better off with adding a few MP and having a bit of fun. YMMV.
  9. Flux

Flux Administrator

I recently did a new Monk with not much in twinks but about 200k gold to start with, so I could at least buy socketed weapons/helms and rubies. I did almost all of Act 1 on MP10 and got way above the level curve, something like level 21 at the end of it (without replaying anything)... and then I did all of Act 2 on MP0 in about an hour so I could get asap to A3 and turn the MP back up and level up there.

I didn't actually run past enemies in A2 (well, maybe some fallen and wasps) but I took every shortcut I could find and as I was well above the level curve and had some AH stuff, I felt pretty secure in racing through.

My theory was that 1) I get really bored in act two, 2) it's full of annoying monsters and giant empty levels with crappy monster density, and 3) Act 3 is VASTLY more profitable in terms of exp and item drops. So I was about 21 to start Act 2, I leveled up 4 or 5x even hurrying through, and that had me still a bit above the normal exp curve into act 3, where I immediately went back to MP6 or7 and began to gain exp at at least twice the pace I would have in A2.

I eventually did A4 much as I'd done A2, skipping through it in about 30m on MP0 since A1/NM is much better rewards and lower risk than A4/Normal. I don't recommend this to everyone, but it's certainly an option to minimize your time spent in the unrewarding A2/A4 areas, while leveraging A3 for maximum profit.