Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Useless Legendary/Set items? No more

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by demasked, Dec 4, 2012. | Replies: 2 | Views: 1513

1. demasked

demasked IncGamers Member

My thread on D3:http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7200053288?page=1

Basically there are a few things to fix when it comes to legendary/set items.

1: Some legendary/set items (and set bonuses) were made to fail.

2: Low level legendary/set items are nearly useless (except a few) since you can just use a weapon with high damage, low level req, and a socket for high loh.

3: Crafting still sucks.

What does this have to do in common?

1: Fix a bunch of those horribly designed legendary/set items so that they can actually be good. Make new interesting affixes (for rares as well -- or change those lousy affixes to be better) or fix bad affixes so they are better as well.

2: Allow all legendary/set items to drop in all difficulties with stats/ilvl/dmg/armor/affixes based on what difficulty you get the drop in.

3: Like Diablo 2 in a way: Let the blacksmith have the ability to upgrade your legendary items (you keep the stats on the item, but the ilvl goes up and the rolls on the stats go higher as well) by using materials, gold and at high levels (60-63) brimstone.

By doing this there is a ton more itemization available, there are more gold/material/brimstone sinks, there will be more diversity on the AH/RMAH, characters will look a little more different then they are right now, ALL legendary/set items can be useful to a level 60 if rolled right.

If you support my idea please go to the thread and comment/recommend/and like it.

Thanks!

Let the discussion begin...
  2. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

If all legendary set and unique items are usable (read: equal), that would make the game's itemization dull. Honestly, I like the way that high level gear drops from HIGH LEVELS and not on the first 20 minutes of the game.

You need some items to "fail" in order for you to have item diversity, so that some items are good and the badder some items are, it makes the good ones look even better. If somebody made me choose between a cheeseburger and a lettuce, I would obviously go for the cheeseburger. But it does not make the lettuce bad. The reason why I think some legendaries ect. are bad is because 2h melee weapons in general have issues and need a buff (except skorn).

I kinda liked the fake picture which suggested the "take one affix and change it to another".

Your idea has the issue that now the market is filled with max rolled items and effectively does the same thing as duping. (though, at a smaller rate)
  3. demasked

demasked IncGamers Member

First of all not all legendary/set items are the same, if so Blizzard could change them so that they are more unique in comparison to each other. Also high level drops wouldn't drop the first 20 minutes of the game. The item that drops would be a lower item level with lower stats, so it wouldn't be a high level item.

Having items that are made to fail just shows bad game design. If anything unique items need to compliment different builds not only when it comes to skills used but obviously in general terms with stats. I don't want items that resemble each other too closely but I don't want items that in the end are completely useless. Item diversity isn't having good items and bad items, it's having items that compliment your character in different ways that can still be beneficial.

The idea with the blacksmith is pretty much just an option that I added after the "let every legendary/set item drop in all difficulties with related ilvl/stats/etc...)". It would still add a large material/gold/brimstone sink to upgrade the item. And you already have to deal with RNG on the item rolling the right affixes. If anything Legendary items could instead have less fixed affixes and more random affixes so that RNG is even higher on legendary/set pieces to make it harder in finding the right combination of affixes.

Also affixes in general need to be improved with Blizzard adding more affixes that are useful and changing lousy affixes to buff them a little more.