Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

(Urgent!!) Diablo III Laptop Build — Any beta testers on laptops?? o

Discussion in 'Tech Support for Diablo 3, Battle.Net & Systems' started by SanjaV, Apr 25, 2012. | Replies: 14 | Views: 1877

1. SanjaV

SanjaV IncGamers Member

(Urgent!!) Diablo III Laptop Build — Any beta testers on laptops??

I intend to take Diablo III very seriously, and the open beta opened my eyes to the fact that my 4-year-old MacBook Pro just isn't up to the task (15 fps at 800 x 600 with the widescreen aspect ratio locked — ridiculous).

Here are the key variables in my proposed solution - a Metabox 17' gaming laptop:
    - i7-3820K processor (3.6 - 3.8Ghz)
    - Nvidia GTX 675M with 2GB VRAM
    - 128 GB Crucial M4 SSD
    - 16GB RAM @ 1600MHz (I wanted 8 @ 1866 ideally, but can't get it on this model)

My question is this: should I plunk down the money ($500!!!) to get two 675M's in SLI, or is this system gratuitous enough as it is? I want to be able to run the game on high, at 60fps minimum, everywhere. If this system as it stands, won't get that, then it's money well spent in my eyes.

Some anecdotal evidence from beta testers playing on laptops is a huge huge plus—so ask your neighbours, PM your friends on the forums, whatever. If anyone is running the game at 60 fps on high (and on a laptop!) please post your specs to allay my concerns. And ensure it runs at 60 fps through the Royal Chambers and the Cathedral, with 3 other human players and huge mobs, where the game really slowed down on my Mac.

Needless to say, this is immensely important, as we're talking a lot of money, and time is of the essence. I have to order in a couple of days to be assured of my machine before May 15th. If significantly cheaper machines achieve the gameplay I'm after, I can save myself even more... so if anyone can take a few minutes out of there day to double check their laptops performance, I'd be immensely grateful.

Thanks you so much everyone, I appreciate it this more than I can say...
  2. aerial

aerial IncGamers Member

Re: (Urgent!!) Diablo III Laptop Build — Any beta testers on laptops??

I would be careful with sli when it comes to blizzard games, it might take some times before d3 will use sli/cf setups to its full potential, even beta has problems with it, in many cases disabling second cards results in better performance. You should be more than fine with one of these cards.
    Also note that sli laptops are ridiculously loud and hot.
  3. Berwulf

Berwulf IncGamers Member

Those specs are more than fine. You should never touch to SLI in laptops, it just boils your system at a long run.

Core 2 Duo P8600 2.4Ghz
    4GB ram
    9700M GT

Thats my laptop and the game runs at 50-60fps, if i remember i was using everything high but with a lower resolution.
  4. SanjaV

SanjaV IncGamers Member

Right. Okay then, that's very helpful, thank you. I suppose if the need arrises, I can buy a second card down the track and have it put in, right? I'm not really a techie person, but, that's possible, right? It's not something that has to be installed during the initial build?

Are you serious? I find that very hard to believe, not that I'm doubting you. My MacBook Pro has a 2.53 GHz dual core, 4 GB of RAM, and a GeForce 9600M, and it was really chugging along absolutely awfully, and on the lowest settings! Is the Mac build of Diablo III just an inferior port or something? By my reckoning our machines are eerily similar—could something else be in play here? My fps rating isn't affected by latency or something like that is it?

Hmmm...

5. aerial

aerial IncGamers Member

Wait for final release, because beta has some serious issues, regardless of specs, some people experiencing very low fps, using monstrously powerful dekstop PCs.

As for laptops and optional adding another card, it depends. It must be correct model with motherboard and space inside to fit that extra card, because usually laptops don't allow adding another graphic card (to save space, and reduce cost). So if you want laptop with such option, you need to be very specific that you want one with such feature (it will cost more).

I'd strongly suggest wait till release, when retail fully optimized version shows up.
  6. Berwulf

Berwulf IncGamers Member

I agree with aerial, im 100% sure that the beta is just badly optimized and the full release will be alot better.. What i realized with the beta that longer you play better it runs, for me the start was stuttering even if fps is normal, but after several hours it was better.

Just gotta wait to may 15th and hope for a smooth experience! :thumbup:
  7. SanjaV

SanjaV IncGamers Member

I appreciate the additional insights, even if they leave me in a bit of a bind. Waiting is obviously the safest option, but I'm really keen to get off to a flying start on release day. *Sigh* I don't know what to do. I thought a beta would be reflective of the final thing...
  8. gruenel

gruenel IncGamers Member

The i7-3820 is a desktop processor, you sure you listed the right one?
  9. SanjaV

SanjaV IncGamers Member

Yes. Have a look here.

10. Felix

Felix IncGamers Member

The GTX675M is really just the GTX580M, given a new name. You can hardly in other words, get a bigger GPU for your laptop. I think it performs on par with a desktop AMD HD 6850/GTX 460, which should have no problems playing Diablo III. Whether you'd always get 60 FPS I don't know, but any serious dips in FPS would be an error on Blizzards side.

SLI in laptops is not a good idea, and this is even moreso with the topend cards. Now if Blizzard has done it's job, SLI scaling will be pretty good and it will make the machine quite abit stronger (giving it a score somewhere in the neighbourhood of the GTX 480 desktop card). But asides the usual gripes about SLI such as micro-stuttering, you may have to face a laptop with a short longevity, or griefing you in other ways, because it just can't deal with the heat.

Personally I'd accept the current limitations of laptops and go with a single GTX675M. It will play Diablo III for you.

If you really are set on spending that much money, I would not leave out an SSD drive. It's quiter, faster, cooler and use less battery.
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  11. SanjaV

SanjaV IncGamers Member

Okay, thanks for that. I didn't realise desktop video cards eclipsed notebook ones but such a margin. I always assumed that would be the case, but not by as much as it appears to be on the link you provided. Does the fact that my proposed laptop has a desktop-grade i7 processor in it mean much in the grand scheme of things?

While I'm at it, what exactly does resolution mean? Irrespective of which one you choose, the game fills up the entire screen and it looks identical—at least I got that impression when experimenting with it. So what does tinkering with it actually do? And would reducing that, while keeping the other graphic settings on their highest, make a difference to fps?

12. Felix

Felix IncGamers Member

The resolution is the amount of pixels (small colored dots) that the screen uses to "paint the picture". 1900 pixels sideways and 1080 pixels upwards is whats called full HD. A screen always has a native resolution, and should preferably be run in that resolution.

You can lower the resolution and games become easier for the graphicscard to handle, and yes FPS will increase. But it really isn't the correct approach to take. It will not look as good, but be blurry. You also get a lesser view of whats going on. It's better to lower the graphical settings.
  13. SanjaV

SanjaV IncGamers Member

Well, I went ahead and made my order, I decided to save a bit of money and get a laptop with an i7-2760qm instead of an i7-3820k—I'm informed it will handle Diablo III without a hitch. Otherwise, the specs are identical to those I originally posts, and I was even able to spring for a 90% gamut glossy screen and still save money. That original configuration was expensive.

Thanks for the feedback. Irrespective of whether or not the Mac version will be considerably smoother than the Beta implied, I needed a portable gaming rig. Now I have one en route.
  14. gruenel

gruenel IncGamers Member

Much better choice, I don't even want to imagine how hot the i7-3820 gets in a laptop.
    The i7-2760QM only draws 1/3 the power and yes, it will run D3 perfectly.

15. SanjaV

SanjaV IncGamers Member

Thanks. I'm quite happy with my purchase too. The money's been paid and I'm very excited. They'll build, optimise, and test it for a few days, then ship it off to me ready to roar.