Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Update messed up somehow, game won't start

Discussion in 'Tech Support for Diablo 3, Battle.Net & Systems' started by Greizer, Sep 23, 2012. | Replies: 3 | Views: 5203

1. Greizer

Greizer IncGamers Member

Grand. Simply splendid. So it went:

1. I click on 'D3' icon, eager to start playing (well, as eager as you can with D3 :p)
    2. 'Updating setup' (or something like that) appears, with a neat green progress bar
    3. Progress bar goes 2/3 of the way, then stops and stays there for 10 minutes without movement
    4. I click 'cancel' *puts on sunglasses* :badteeth::party:
    5. BOOOOM! I click on the icon again, only to be greeted by a little box that says: "File is being used by another program".
    6. I restart computer (took a good 15 minutes, maybe random, maybe related to this somehow) --> back to step 1, rinse and repeat :jig::jig::jig::hang:

So... Any suggestions? What the hell kind of update was that, anyway? Something to do with 1.0.5. and the PTR? All other people peachy keen with that or someone having similar conundrums? Any advice before I take the blue pill and go back to D2, where you could actually find items and didn't have to deal with updates that messed up your game? :scratchchin::banghead::pancake:
  2. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

Try this and report back :)

You can also try re-installing :thankyou:
  3. Greizer

Greizer IncGamers Member

I did and it worked out! :yes: Thank you sir; now I can continue my saga of constant disappointments. One good legendary in 300 hours... Granted a lot spent leveling alts, but still.

Now that I comb my head a bit, I seem to recall this same problem happening before, and the fix was similar back then. Turns out that the patch was simply 1.0.4., which I hadn't installed on this comp yet. I wonder if 1.0.5. will bring along similar nice side effects...

I *could* try water torture, too, but I'm not going to. :smug: It's already a great courtesy to install D3 once in its current state; twice would be overdoing it (imo). Anyway, my hat would be off to you, if I ever wore a hat, that is. :thankyou:
  4. nurman

nurman IncGamers Member

Glad it worked. The past month they actually "patched" the agent.exe that also poops up the SC2 & WoW.