Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Untweaked HC Septevariate (Not PvP, gasp!)

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Zhao_Yue, Apr 30, 2012. | Replies: 6 | Views: 493

1. Zhao_Yue

Zhao_Yue IncGamers Member

Untweaked HC Septevariate (Not PvP, gasp!)

Inspired by Shagsbeard’s untweaked hardcore septevariate thread sometime ago, I thought to try something similar. I’ve never tried HC in all the years I’ve played Diablo and it’s got me semi-hooked back in the game. It’s been an interesting experience as I’d have to take a different mentality into HC, as I have learned through the death of my first Paladin and Necromancer.

Yesterday I finally achieved my first ever Guardian, as my Amazon handily slew Baal, saving the world once again.

Her Vitals
    Level 86
    Life 1140
    Mana 223
    75/75/75/56 Resistances

‘Lore’ War Hat
    The Cat’s Eye
    Rare Cerimonial Javalins (+2 Jav, 40% IAS)/’Rhyme’ Grim Shield
    ‘Hel’ Windforce
    Rare Light Gauntlets (+15 Str, +14 Dex, 24% Fire Res, +1 Passives)
    Crafted Mesh Belt (+14 Life, +26 Fire Res, 17% FHR, 3% LL, 6% OW)
    2x Rare Rings (+Nrg, Fire/Lit/Poi Res)
    Natalya’s Soul
    Charms – 1 plain Acrobatic GC, other charms with various resistance and life

Charge Strike 1-1659
    Lightning Fury 1-944
    Guided Arrow 139-1383 + 46% Crit
    Lv29 Prebuffed Valk

Comments
    My first Necromancer found some good items for her that helped immensely in questing, especially the Windforce and Cat’s Eye. For Normal and Nightmare, I had statted her for a pure strafter and really had no problems, maybe one near death when Diablo lightning hosed me during a straft cycle.

I had my heart set on sticking to straft in Hell, especially since I had a Windforce waiting at clvl73, but I was stopped cold by a Physical Immune Corpsefried. Reluctantly I restated my Amazon to a Lightning Fury/Charged Strike build, with a maxxed Valk and Guided Arrow backup.

Non-LI’s were easily dispatched with LF/CS. I only had 1 base point in GA but Windforce’s raw damage and the Might Aura from the merc was enough to deal with LI’s. The Valk was such a good tank, I don’t think she ever died, except once to Andariel. It was a pretty solid setup.

Once I got to Hell Ancients the first time, Korlic was Lightning Immune and Stone Skin, Talic was Stone Skin and Mana Burn and Madawc was Fire Enhanced and Lightning Immune. Not a great roll but I decided to just go with it. I first tried using Charged Strike on Talic but his WW were painful and I couldn’t tank them. I then tried sniping with Guided Arrow but for some reason Korlic and Madawc would disengage from my merc and Valk and chase after me. So I was forced to resort to an old PvP tactic and walk away from the enemy with shield up, taking shots once and a while as my merc and Valk got their hits in when they could. After about 20 minutes Talic finally goes down and the other 2 are at around 15% health. However I started fooling around, I tried putting decoy in front of Madawc so my merc would stop eating his axes, when my merc goes down before I could potion him. I got so mad at myself that I immediately left the game.

I took a break for a few days before reattempting Ancients again. I knew I had to have 100% focus during this battle. I rerolled them a few times avoiding Amp, Fanaticism, Might or any other nasty mods. I got a decent roll where Madawc was Lightning Immune and Talic Stone Skinned. I rushed Korlic and he went down fast, down in the first 2 minutes. The rest of the fight was uneventful as if the Ancients were letting up out of pity. I was once hit with Madawc’s axes and they did a fraction of the damage, compared to the first fight. After 5 minutes, Talic went down, and then Madawc shortly after. Victory!

The trek to Baal was pretty anti-climatic. I was hoping for no Gloams and I lucked out. Baals 5 waves easily fell to a barrage of Lightning Furies save for Bartuc. But my merc and Valk took care of that. Baal himself ate about a 2 minutes of constant Charged Strike and he expired.

For now I think I’ll retire my Amazon and distribute here gear and charms to my other 6 characters to help them in their quest for Guardian. I might restat her back to a pure Strafter and run Hell Chaos Sanctuary in the future, but for now I should concentrate on the remaining Septevariate.

View attachment 1540
  2. crawlingdeadman

crawlingdeadman IncGamers Site Pal

Re: Untweaked HC Septevariate (Not PvP, gasp!)

congratulations:thumbup:! the first is the hardest and the most rewarding.
  3. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

Congrats! Thanks for reminding me to work on mine :p
    That must have been quite the scare at Diablo.
  4. DaveW

DaveW IncGamers Member

Nice stuff Zhao Yue, HC indeed requires a different approach. And The Ancients deserve mad respect as well. Just a question tho: if you distribute charms and gear to the other 6 chars, then they won't be untweaked. Or are you playing them as a collective group that can use only the gear they themselves find? Anyways good luck with your travels and look forward to reading more of your adventures.
  5. Zhao_Yue

I'm a newbie with HC, so I decided on more lenient guidelines. You're right, I started all 7 characters from scratch but they share a common stash for items they find. Have HC players in the past prefer their Guardians to keep their final gear?

It's difficult to gear everyone to decently ... I'd kill for some damage resistant equipment. But the main problem I find is obtaining viable elite weapons ... I'm constrained in what character builds I can go with and some characters have been stagnant at the beginning of Hell. Rune drops have been good, but proper base weapons have been elusive.

On the flip side, Spirit and Insight are pretty overpowered. Casters FTW!

6. crawlingdeadman

crawlingdeadman IncGamers Site Pal

I usually keep my Guardians geared for a while once they're "done". I wanted to Baal regularly with a couple of them, but since HC MP Baal runs are so few and far between I've since stripped the characters. I've started to keep track of what the characters wore when stripped so i can re-equip them later if I want, but I find that where my new characters interfere with older characters most is resistance charms and/or life charms.

Do you have a dedicated MFer yet? Between new projects I tend to run some MF and/or rune find runs. I cannot stand going all in when it comes to MFing, but every once in a while is not bad.

Good luck in HC and if you need anything be sure to post in the trade forum, there's a couple of us that have loads to offer.

7. Zhao_Yue

Thanks but my septevariate only use what they find.

I ran NM Meph with my Sorc for a while and picked up a few items, but got tired of running and got her back to questing. Otherwise I have been leveling everyone in Hell Pits up to lv80-82 with some good finds.

Actually I re-geared my Amazon to run Hell Chaos Santuary but now my Druid is lacking in gear to proceed further. Everyone else should be alright though.