Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

unbeatable Ancients in NM

Discussion in 'Single Player' started by Allie, Jun 8, 2013. | Replies: 4 | Views: 1325

1. Allie

Allie IncGamers Member

My level 69 barb who is equipped with a Passion Great Sword, Lionheart Armor,A winged helm with 2 perfect skulls and a Dol Rune, Sanders Taboo Heavy gloves and a Saracens Amlet that adds 12 to attributes, cannot beat the Ancients in NM. I have jumped through all the hoops, using as all Super Rejuvenation potions etc. My merc has a skystrike Edge bow and full resistence with 1600 pts in defense. My last Barb got thru the Ancients and my Amazon finished Hell. Trying to beat the Ancients to get to Hell has become tedious and boring. HELP! Allie
  2. FredOfErik

FredOfErik IncGamers Member

First of all - wrong forum. I'm sure Thy will be around to move the thread soon enough :)

Second of all, your gear is very far from optimal - even from an untwinked POV.

What attack are you using?

Helm: regeneration is basically useless in PvM. Optimally you will want Arreat's Face, which is however not easy to come by untwinked. With some luck you would be able to get it off NM Meph. If not feeling like running for a specific item (which sucks), there is other options. Look for something with resists/MF/life/stats/leech depending on your needs. Rare and magical barb helms with a couple of sockets and some good stats can make for very nice helms.

Amulet: Saracens doesn't really do that much for you. Stat points aren't too important for a barb (already great life from BO). Resists are nice though, if you are low on them.

Gloves: Sander's are nice if you need the IAS. Click here to see your IAS breakpoints.

Weapon: Passion is by no means a bad weapon. However, depending on your build (are you WW?) you might wanna consider going dual wield. Other possible weapon options (in the cheap-ish range) are the runewords Black, Crescent Moon and Oath. Check rare and magical weapons of your preferred type.

Merc: I would strongly recommend changing your merc to a A2 NM Offensive merc. This Merc provides the Might aura, which will enhance your damage.

Strategy: If having trouble with ancients you can try using battle cry on them. Further, if you try seperating them from each other, so that you only have to fight them 1 vs. 1, you will most likely find the task quite a bit easier.

Good luck!
  3. Allie

Allie IncGamers Member

Thanks for your help. My Attack has been Bash. I've been waiting to get to Hell to decide on best Attack.

Sorry about posting in the wrong forum. will you tell me how to move my post and to where? I thought I was in SP. In the future How can I determine where to post? Allie
  4. FredOfErik

FredOfErik IncGamers Member

Bash is not a very good attack. Usually you would go with either Concentration or Beserk if you want single target attacks or Frenzy or WW for multiple target attacks. All four are much better solutions than Bash.

You can PM the moderator Thyiad and ask her to move your post. You are in the Single Player Trading Forum, not the Single Player Forum.
  5. ScGuy

ScGuy IncGamers Member

Based on having started a few barbs in the past when I was entirely inexperienced and having them fail at various stages due to me really not really having any idea of how to build them (I now cringe when I open them up, see an array of crappy items and skill/attribute points all over the show) I would suggest: reading a number of barb guides, then making an informed decision about which path you would like to follow. Making a rough plan as how you intend to get through Hell difficulty, then getting a good idea of valuable and non-valuable item properties for your build and consider starting a new character. I have found the game to become very fun starting builds which I have lots of faith in their ability to get through the game. For me thus far that has meant a Fishymancer and a Berserker barb, both of which I've thoroughly enjoyed. Happy gaming :)
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2014