Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Unasked/Unanswered wireless card question

Discussion in 'Tech Support for Diablo 3, Battle.Net & Systems' started by endo, May 3, 2012. | Replies: 4 | Views: 477

1. endo

endo IncGamers Member

Unasked/Unanswered wireless card question

Ok, I did look at the forums, and unless I just missed it somehow, there does not seem to be anything on what a good wireless card would be for my laptop that I'm building ;)

We've got an m18x alienware laptop here, it's got an intel centrino wireless n 2230 atm.
    I can't find any info out there on these cards and I'd like some super nerd opinions on what card I can put in this to where
    I wont notice a real difference between running wireless or being hardwired. The only info I've found were two people recommending the intel centrino 6300... If neither of these are at the top of my options here I'd like to know the absolute best choice.

Thanks Diablo Nerds! :D

2. Tilitoon

Tilitoon IncGamers Member

Re: Unasked/Unanswered wireless card question

First I'd like to make sure you are aware that you won't find any Wireless adapters that would provide you with anything near the reliability and latency of wired network, wireless is just not meant for gaming, packets are always lost in big quantity and the signal is very variable depending on the distance, interferences etc... Also note that your router has a big influence, so even if you buy the best wireless adapter for your network and you have a cheap router, the signal will be bad. Now if you have reasonable expectations, you can play DIII on wireless. I can't recommend any particular model because I haven't tested many, all I can tell you is that you want to look for one with the lowest latency, don't bother looking for high bandwidth, it won't help for gaming.

3. endo

endo IncGamers Member

I am fully aware that it is unlikely I will find a wireless device for this laptop that will be comparable to being hardwired. However, I need a strong option, as I will be needing to game wirelessly for a portion of my adventuring. I got this laptop because I travel a lot and I play at work a lot. I wont be able to hard wire in most of these scenarios. I would love some helpful opinions however.

4. gruenel

gruenel IncGamers Member

The Centrino 6300 is probably the best wireless chipset currently out there... you won't notice any difference to a cabled connection while gaming for sure. Unless your access point is a mile away of course :)

5. endo

endo IncGamers Member

How much better is it than the 2230 that is currently in my hardware approximately?