Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

[Guide] Ultimate Witch Doctor Summoner Build

Discussion in 'Witch Doctor' started by illusions, Jan 17, 2013. | Replies: 16 | Views: 89225

1. illusions

illusions IncGamers Member

I haven't seen this built around so decided to create a thread about it because the Summoner Witch Doctor is under-rated.

I use a Summoner Build for my Witch Doctor and I'm able to solo inferno 5 and up with very minimal repairs required for this build. What is so special about this build is it requires absolutely NO MANA BOOST. You will never run out of mana.

Active Skills

Personally I would recommend Spirit Walk if your DPS is 120k + , if lower then that, you would need to boost damage with either Mass Confusion (Paranoia) or Soul Harvest (rune of your choice, I wouldn't pick the mana one)

Passive Skills

• Tribal Rites (25% reduce cooldown on most of your skills, IT IS A MUST, your Fetish Army cooldown goes down to 51 secs)
    • Pierce The Veil (your overall dmg increased by 20%. Your mana cost increased by 30%, who cares about increase of mana? The main skill you're gonna be spamming is 12 mana which is regenerated instantly when u cast almost.)
    • Fetish Sycophants (these little guys are A LOT STRONGER than the active skill, but both are a deadly combination. If anyone knows the exact weapon dmg % of this passive skill please share.)

http://diablonut.incgamers.com/skil...lX0ErUnVuZV9CKzIwODYwMSsyMDg2MjgrMjE4NTg4KzE=

My DPS is around 175k without Big Bad Voodoo activated, so with Big Bad Voodoo activated , your Summon Zombie dogs get 9% + 30% so 39% of 175k , Gargantuan is 200% weapon dmg + 30% so 230% of 175k , Fetish Army is 20% base + 30% so 50% of 175k. The Fetish Sycophants are much stronger, I heard around 150% base or more but cant guarantee this.

You're probably gonna ask, why no Soul Harvest and why no Gruesome Feast?

No Soul Harvest because the Radius is only 15-16 yards. You're standing far from your pets who are attacking for you. Pointless.

Gruesome Feast. My gear doesn't have high Pickup Radius. If your gear does have high pickup radius you might want to use this skill

An easy way to get high DPS is by not sacrificing any crit hit chance on any equipment except the Mojo (I recommend using Skorn with crit hit dmg and a socket with 1400 dps+ for your 2H weapon, it will increase your dps by minimum 10k , by using that instead of a 1000 dps crit weap w/ socket + mojo)

My crit is ~ 40/450. I'm still wondering if my crit is transfered to my pets or if their damage % is only based on my DPS. In my calculation above, only used DPS, will be checking for crit though.

Also, definately choose Anatomy with Scroundel for the extra 3% critical hit chance (it will remain activated even when Scroundel is dead. This will improve your DPS drastically if your crit hit dmg is high).

My crit is ~ 40/450 so 3% CHC extra gives me at least 5k dps extra.
  2. MCPWTB

MCPWTB IncGamers Member

Re: Ultimate Witch Doctor Summoner Built

Pets get damage based on your DPS.
    So dogs do 9% of your current DPS, in this case, the buff from BBV is applied indirectly.

So are you sure they get the 39% damage or even 9%*1.3 = 11.7% of your DPS?
    Pet guide on battle net forums:
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7004045226?page=1

I asked some questions there related to BBV.

Spirit walk healing journey will heal pets, if needed.
  3. BRKO

BRKO IncGamers Member

For no particular reason I thought the templar is most suitable companion for a WD due to his healing skills. Gonna try this scoundrel crit thingy once I reach 60 and/or get good gear. thanks for the tip .)
  4. MCPWTB

MCPWTB IncGamers Member

The reason to choose the Scoundrel is to use:
    1. Windforce with high IAS and high chance to knockback. Possible to roll with a chance to freeze/stun/blind.
    2. Star of Azkaranth comes with chance to freeze/stun and even a possibility of IAS: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/the-star-of-azkaranth
    3. Get IAS and LoH in the other slots to make your scoundrel a knockback machine with some ability to survive.

Crowd control for pets. Enemies not attacking => enemies not doing damage to your pets => you standing there casting damage non-stop.
  5. Caris

Caris IncGamers Member

Hmm I always found the Enchantress with the attackspeed buff the bedst for this kind of build. You have no heavy mana-spender and want to cast as many toads as possible to trigger as many Fetish sycophants as possible. So I'd go for AS > cc anytime. Also she can have alot more MF than the scoundrel.

What MP can you play with that build?

Only if you have the passive Fierce Loyalty otherwise they only get healed by globes.
  6. BRKO

BRKO IncGamers Member

Have tried the enchantress. Though Focused Mind skill gives only 3% bonus to attack speed it feels I kill monsters faster. Now to find some nice staff for her...
  7. MCPWTB

MCPWTB IncGamers Member

For general RoT/Acid Rain pet build I was able to do MP8 with much worse gear than I have now. Granted it was SLOW and I wouldn't be able to kill certain bosses, such as the Butcher since the fire gets me eventually, but I wouldn't die to very many types of elites either.

Now I can do MP10 but that's just a gear check. If I did a RoT/Acid Rain build with my gear, I would probably be unkillable by all but a few enemies, but I would take forever to kill stuff. I have a high base average damage and crit damage, therefore 3% crit chance gives me more DPS.

You'll have to decide for yourself which follower is best.

I prefer to the Scroundrel because of the crowd control aspect as I outlined above.
  8. Dogbert

Dogbert IncGamers Member

No mention of the useless spirit vessel passive can only mean one thing. I recommend this build.
    Good job. Sounds like fun :)
  9. Ghoulz

Ghoulz IncGamers Member

I like using the enchantress with Maximus. More minions for the summoner.
  10. snurrfint

snurrfint IncGamers Member

Wow, your definition of 30% more dmg is pretty off.

9% weapon dmg ----> 39% is 333% more dmg.

and 200% weapon dmg -----> 230% is 15% more dmg.

Seems like a good build non the less. GJ
  11. majmac

majmac IncGamers Member

Hey Illusions nice post. Any chance you can share what gear you are wearing? I am only around level 45 on my WD and I am curious as to what gear you use for this build. Thx in advance. Mac
  12. rabidshrew

rabidshrew IncGamers Member

Nice build! I was running a similar one for a while I called "fetish mania" in which I concentrated on attack speed instead of crit and grabbed a Gidbinn for even more fetishes. Also i used rain of toads but i am interested in going back now and trying it out with addling like you suggest. Once i got my attacks/second above 2.5 it was not uncommon for me to have a permanent following of 6-7 fetishes with spikes of up to 15 at times. Interestingly the fetishes summoned from the Gidbinn and fetish sycophants passive are a slightly different size.

All in all a very fun build.
  13. MCPWTB

MCPWTB IncGamers Member

I'd like to add for fetish summoning, there are two attacks that I know for sure attack faster than your attacks per second:
    1. Rain of Toads: I think it's around 1.5x APS
    2. Firebats Hungry Bats shoots off at 2.0x APS. I was expecting to hit high crits of around 1.1 million with this skill, but instead I was hitting twice as fast with high crits at 550k (1.1m/2). But this will summon more fetishes.

When I tried out firebats I focused on -firebats cost and mana per second so I could cast it for a long time. Maybe even infinitely with spirit walk honored guest. This matters more with cloud of bats or plague bats, since hungry bats can be interrupted to keep VQ with no ill effect on DPS.
  14. peterkm

peterkm IncGamers Member

I cannot make this build ,big bad voodoo and fetish army cannot go in the slots you have them in , please redo the witch doctor build.
  15. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

You need to turn on "elective mode" in the gameplay menu.
  16. Whitewolf

Whitewolf IncGamers Member

Thanks for the guide. now i'm playing d3 again after a long pause.

can you post a link to your profile or what equipment you have besides thw staff?
  17. HollowAmbitions

HollowAmbitions IncGamers Member

Holy hell! Okay, so I registered just to give you a big thank you. I wasn't struggling as such with hard mode, I just felt like as if there was something more that could make killing coloured foes easier and since I've been using this build, I've been CRUISING through expert mode!!! Obviously I cruised through the last of hard mode but killing anything, even bosses, has never been so easy. The only thing I changed was the left click attack. Changed it from frogs to darts with the splinter rune, very fast attacking.

Thanks once again! Amazing build.