Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

[ULTIMATE SPOILERS] Just Saw the Cinematics. What's left for the expansion?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Brokenstorm, May 12, 2012. | Replies: 46 | Views: 21982

1. Brokenstorm

Brokenstorm IncGamers Member

You've been warned

The meteor is Tyrael, he fell from the Heaven because he renounced his "angelhood" by ripping out his wings. We rescue him just after the Skeleton King and from there on he traveled with the heroes.

Cain dies at the end of Act 1 from wounds he received earlier and Leah decides to continue his work.

Then we go to Caldeum and find Adria who has the Black Soulstone and we defeat Belial and trap his soul in the Black Soulstone.

Then Leah has a vision of Azmodan invading Sanctuary from the remain of Mount Arreat, so we travel to the Bastion Keep and defeat Azmodan and also trap his soul in the Black Soulstone.

So the Black Soulstone now contained all the Prime and Lesser Evils, it was then that Adria betrayed us and used the Black Soulstone on Leah to awaken Diablo as the Prime Evil, from the seed he had left in Leah.

Diablo attacks the High Heaven killing Imperius and wrecking the place. We rescue Auriel and Itherael and go on to defeat Diablo.

Tyrael takes the place of the archangel of wisdom as a mortal. The End?

So what's left? Obviously Mathael is M.I.A. and there may be a connection between Adria and Lilith.
    Beside those two, who could appear in the expansion?

Metzen also hinted that he may want to "redeem" Leah. I hope not we don't need to repeat SC2's story (which was lame).
    Last edited: May 12, 2012
  2. raveharu

raveharu IncGamers Member

I remembered someone quoted that Blizzard said everything was going as planned by the Prime evils.

The ending movies seemed a little off, there are bits and pieces missing so we'll have to play the game to find out.

Like what happened to the black soulstone, was it destroyed or does it still exist?

I'm also guessing the prime evils made use of us to entrapped both azmodan and belial into the stone.

How do you know we rescued the other council members?
  3. ancalagon

ancalagon IncGamers Member

Tyrael narrates it in the ending cinematic ... 'and the heroes saved the archangels of fate and hope...' no mention of wisdom tho (malthael)

4. Loriku

Loriku IncGamers Member

If you watch Diablo when he falls and fades away a piece of him is still intact (the soulstone maybe?) and falls back to sanctuary...also if you watch the making of Diablo 3 they actually hint at wanting to revisit certain things http://www.twitch.tv/incgamers_clan they're all on there.

Raveharu, in the cinematic it tells you that you rescue those 2 archangels :) x
  5. Loriku

Loriku IncGamers Member

Since tyrael becomes wisdom then i think malthael is gone....maybe

6. ancalagon

so obvious questions would be:-

(1) what happened to malthael (tyrael takes his place but where is he?)
    (2) how did the soulstone come to contain baal, mephisto, andariel and duriel? how did adria become corrupt and where did the black soulstone come from in the first place? and what happens to it? i read in the book of cain it was created by zoltun kulle but how did it end in adrias hands?
    (3) redeel leah? lol shes dead no?!?! how was sc 2's story then?? (not into sc)
    (4) Bosses for expansion could include lilith, lucion, inarius, bartuc, horazon ...

7. Brokenstorm

1. The only hint we have is from the prophecy
    "And, at the End of Days, Wisdom shall be lost..."

2. Adria must have gotten hold of it after giving birth to Leah. She probably found it in one of Zultun Kulle's archives. How she managed to trap all the other Evils in it though, that I have no idea.

3. Redeem Leah in a similar way as Jim Raynor "saves" Sarah Kerrigan from the Zerg corruption.

4. Lilith: maybe, she may have escaped from the Void (again)
    Lucion: Dead
    Inarius: maybe, he may still be imprisoned in the Burning Hells
    Bartuc: dead/may live on through his armor
    Horazon: dead/may live on through his arcane Santuary
    Mathael: probably

8. ancalagon

Or maybe im thinking we take it from zoltun kulle and give it to her cuz she says only she knows how to use it or something.

How do you know horazon is dead? D2 summoner was an imposter, the vizjerei mage from D1. Lucion might have been just temporarily banished back to hell or 'erased' from just sanctuary by uldyssian, he might still come back. Same for lilith, she came back once.

I'm overall interested in the whole zoltun kulle / adria / black soulstone / how all the souls came into the bss thing, i think we will get explanation ingame...

edit: also i think ingame or in the book The Order, we will learn of the 'killing' of kulle and who accomplished it, the book of cain seems to leave his story very brief and open ended.

9. demasked

demasked IncGamers Member

I'm hoping for either Lilith, Mathael, or Tathamet the 7 headed dragon of evil (resurrected would be pretty sweet, though doubtful).

Perhaps Adria (who you find out is really lilith) uses the black soulstone and somehow gets the essence of Andariel and Duriel and then uses it in hell to awaken Tathamet. The heroes would then be following her to hell and the lairs of Andariel/Duriel in hopes of stopping her.

That or Adria is serving a greater master (lilith maybe) and gives the soulstone to that person who then resurrects Tathamet.

Would be awesome :)
  10. ancalagon

Well tathamet was the 7 prime evils before he was slain and broken up into 7 lesser evils, essentially leahblo in d3 becomes tathamet when adria unleashes the bss on leah

11. Loriku

Loriku IncGamers Member

3 Prime evils and 4 lesser, I read somewhere though that Tathamet can't manifest because Onu can't manifest, who knows, whatever the expansions will be im sure they'll be epic :). Same as I said though, there is a piece from Diablo that falls back to sanctuary, watch the ending cinematic closely :)

12. Brokenstorm

Yes, you can see the Black Soulstone falling at the end. I just hope they don't twist it so that Leah's soul end up inside it and that somehow you are able to bring her back.
  13. Valhauros

Valhauros IncGamers Member

I think Cain's death was crappy, he should have survived longer and get killed by Leah. I also didn't like the transformed Tyrael and his baldness; he seemed to lack the serenity of a superior being, and although that may have been a reflection of the change... Anyway, regarding the potential of the expansion...

- No more Leah please; such bland character and dull design. She doesn't deserve any more screen time.
    - Opening of the heavens for the populace, allowing it so share its knowledge (Most likely City Hub).
    - Return of D2's characters and their involvement in their home regions.
    - The reforming or reorganization of Caldeum and whatever it means for Sanctuary.
    - Whatever is left of the Zakarum religion.
    - Horazon and/or The Arcane Sanctuary (insight into the overall structure of the realm).
  14. demasked

demasked IncGamers Member

Does the Black Soul Stone really have all the 7 evils inside?

I thought it would only have Azmodan and Belial inside. Or did Adria (by herself or with someone else helping) gather the other prime/lesser evils inside the black soul stone between d2 and d3 and just needed some help in getting to Belial/Azmodan.

Basically Diablo was awakened by using the black soul stone which only had Belial/Azmodan. Maybe Diablo gets sucked into the black soul stone after dying which would make bringing back tathamet back that much easier.
  15. Alexcstrassa

Alexcstrassa IncGamers Member

The book of Cain mentions that all the Evils constantly contend with one another, looking to gain the upper hand over each other. I interpreted it as: since Mephisto, Baal, Andariel, Duriel, Azmodan and Belial were were already vanquished, Diablo no longer had to compete with any of them for control over the forces of Hell. So apparently, he is now free to wield the powers of all seven.

16. ancalagon

tathamet coming back wouldnt make much sense, would contradict the book of cain and would be another weak and pathetic story direction choice. why is everyone obsessed with some stupid dragon? *sigh* Id far prefer to see inarius, lilith, lucion, malthael gone evil, some rogue vizjerei who finds bartucs armor, or heck something original like some evil ancient nephalem returns as the worldstone has been shattered and it used to dampen their powers but not anymore etc

17. acceleration turkey

acceleration turkey IncGamers Member

18. Aweus

Aweus IncGamers Member

Malthael simply missing without a word (if that is the case, we still didnt seen the full game) would be a HUGE hole in the plot and I am pretty sure that if he is indeed "missing" it is intended for future story buildup. Expansion? Quite possible. As for Adria, perhaps my mind plays tricks on me but wasnt there some data/speculations suggesting that she dies during D3? If not, you will see her again for sure, considering what she did.

As a matter of fact I am bit surprised that they already served us THE Prime Evil right now. Leahblo is supposed to be one. Also it is kind of surprising that Tyrael claims that Diablo is now destroyed FOREVER. What does that exactly mean? Wasnt he already destroyed "forever" during D2? It was later stated that you cant really kill the prime evils. Banish for a while at best. So why now again we hear about "forever" and how does this relate to future expansion? Need more data.

As for Leah I am not sure if what Metzen ment by redemption would mean bring he back alive and carry her on arms towards the sun. I think it would relate more to her soul being there trapped somewhere and helping that soul to get free would be one of the "checkpoint" objectives in the expansion. I doubt they would make Leah the primary goal of expansion unless her character is still greatly important for general story. Which I think is not. She served her main purpose in Diablo 3 when she became a host for Diablo. But still, giving her soul a chance for peace and redemption would not hurt and many people would like to see that. I can assure you Leah already got many "fans". I read posts with people upset about her fate in D3. Same as some people are upset about Cain's deah. Cain was obviously with us since ancient times of D1, loosing him now can be sad. And Leah? Well, she is just a hot chick. Saving hot chicks is one of prime occupations of gamers since Donkey Kong :thumbup:
  19. Justinchavez

Justinchavez IncGamers Member

At blizzcon lore panel Chris Metzen says that Malthael will play a role in the ongoing story of diablo 3
  20. acceleration turkey

acceleration turkey IncGamers Member

http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Malthael

based on malthael's sickle weapons, the prefix "mal" in his name, and the fact that "When Sanctuary was discovered, he abstained from the vote to decide its fate, claiming that at the end of all things only he will prevail," he seems to be primed to turn evil.

added to the fact tyrael has now taken his place as wisdom in the angiris council, it seems like blizzard is setting malthael up to return as a villain in expansions. he will be angered that tyrael took his place, that tyrael shed his angelic characteristics, and also took his spot on the council. would also be angry that tyrael helped leah, who ended up killing imperius and destroying much of heaven.

"The Archangel of Wisdom. Male. Gaunt figure whose robes and breastplate are black. Malthael is the voice of reason and conciliatory within the Council, respected by all the others. Although formerly one of the brightest of all Archangels, constantly pondering the Universe and the truth of reality, upon Inarius's theft of the Worldstone, the "heart" of reality, Malthael's character began to darken, which eventually leads to his becoming a very grim figure among the Angels."

more "good-turns-bad" plot twists from blizzard being set up. the question would be whether the player would face just malthael, or whether malthael would somehow resurrect the prime evils and cooperate with them to satisfy some strange soon-to-be-retconned agenda.