Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Ultimate Champion/Rare/Boss monster pack farmer

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by Mn_Swe2, Apr 24, 2012. | Replies: 29 | Views: 5380

1. Mn_Swe2

Mn_Swe2 IncGamers Member

Ultimate Champion/Rare/Boss monster pack farmer

I got this idéa after reading an article about loot details.

The idéa with this build is to maximize farming of magic/rare/set/legend items + gold.

In order to do that I only plan to fight Champion/Rare/Boss monster packs.

Ultimately you should beat the packs you encounter in around 15-20 secs (before your 3 barb helpers vanish).

And then you have around 70 secs to find next suitable pack before your main damage dealers get active again (90 sec cooldown).

For this build you need to find the optimal areas to farm, so you can kill the packs at sufficient speed, with minimal risk for death. For example when gearing up for Inferno, you can run around in Hell Act4 with this build.
    [HR][/HR]Link to build.

[​IMG]

For details about Playstyle and Follower, continue here...
    http://www.diablo-guilds.com/forum/topics/barbarian-champion-rare-boss-pack-farmer

Any thoughts how it can be improved?
    I do not have Sprint or Leap, maybe I should? But what should I remove then??
  2. RazeBarb

RazeBarb IncGamers Member

Re: Ultimate Champion/Rare/Boss monster pack farmer

Really nice build.
    Aside from the weapon throw builds I've seen (which I dislike), there seem to be many very useful builds for the barb.

I'll also post the build I've come up with: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#bhSVQP!ZUg!acZcYb
    I doesn't really specialize in something (other than kicking ***), but I think it's about 4/5ths of a pure glass cannon build with some counter measures to escape a sudden death.

My plan on how to play this build:
    1)Open the fight by rushing in with Furious Charge (Merciless Assault). In a big group, you can basically spam this and make it look like seven-sided strike as long as you always hit enough enemies to nullify the cooldown.
    2)Then it's time to bust out the Cleavage (Rupture) and make some heads explode
    3)That leads us to a fluid switch to Whirlwind (Volcanic Eruption) and the fight might be over after this
    4)If it isn't, here come the life savers: Revenge (Provocation) has a chance to trigger with each 3rd hit I take, Killing mobs and healing me plentiful.
    5)If things really start to get hairy, I bust out Overpower (Momentum) and probably get enough fury to go straight into Whirlwind or Wrath of the Berserker (Slaughter) which WILL finish the fight.

To make it even worse for my enemies,I'll use the following passives:
    Ruthless
    Relentless
    Brawler

Ruthless is nice for overall damage output. Brawler makes me stronger against groups and Relentless.....well I think that + the rest of my build makes me really hard to kill. I'll just spam my skills or enjoy my free WotB.
  3. Mn_Swe2

Mn_Swe2 IncGamers Member

Thanks for feedback. I looked at your build and am now thinking about how I could use furios charge maybe?

This is really a build that could easily used more skill slots, and I have a really hard time taking away one skill in favour of Furios Charge/Leap/Sprint?
  4. Snerra

Snerra IncGamers Member

You need 150 fury to pull off that combo. That's a lot, and will require some cleaving in-between your big spenders. Here's what I would change:

- Change Earthquake rune to The Mountain's Call (0 fury cost, less CD)
    - Consider swapping Unforgiving passive for Animosity
    - Swap rend for leap or war cry, since I doubt you will have enough fury for rend usually.
    OR
    - Use Leap's Call of Arreat rune to pull enemies in instead of Ground stomp (it has less range, though). You could then swap Rend for war cry with Charge rune (increases your fury by 60).

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#bXkjTP!YWS!ZYZZbZ
  5. RazeBarb

Heh. I feel the same about both our builds. You really have to make compromises and weigh pro/contra.
    But that's what they wanted. There's a panel where Jay talks about giving players a different amount of active skills and they found that 6 makes playtesters think the most. 5 were too few, 7 were too much.

For example: I'd REALLY like to use one of the shouts in my build, but it's just not possible without sacrificing something important.

6. Mn_Swe2

Mn_Swe2 IncGamers Member

How much Fury will a barb at lvl 60 typically have at full bulb? A rough number would be appreciated, is it like 200 or 400 or what? I assume alot of the items can effect this number?

I have no idéa about this. Guess I need to look into it if no one can point me somewhere? :)

7. Cid

Cid IncGamers Member

how do you plan on killing only elites (champions/rares/bosses) without having any skills that enable you to skip monsterpacks?

my build idea focuses on obtaining nephalem valor as fast as possible, for that specific barbarian i use all 3 movement powers (leap/charge/sprint).
  8. Snerra

Snerra IncGamers Member

100. Fury doesn't scale with levels or gear. You can get items with +skills that reduces the fury cost of certain skills, however. And one passive which increases your fury by 20.

9. RazeBarb

I've found an item in the beta that gave my DH +2 Hatred. There might be such items for the Barb?

10. Snerra

Snerra IncGamers Member

Oops. You're right, my mistake. According to DiabloNut, Mighty Belts and Mighty Weapons can have a +fury affix (max 13-15 fury).

11. ElementEight

ElementEight IncGamers Member

I'm torn regarding the use of Anger Management. On one hand, it's good because if you're planning to skip packs, you'll have a way of generating fury (or keeping that you have generated). On the other hand, it doesn't seem that great since the build needs to spend a limited amount of fury, and then, any extra becomes unnecessary. It doesn't help with "burst fury" generation needed, and the excess it does provide is near useless.
  12. StrudelStraddler

StrudelStraddler IncGamers Member

The fury cost required to pop all three is high, but may be manageable if you consider popping the ancients first, then take some swings to get the required fury for earthquake. Since ancients stick around for longer, this would time it so that they both expire close to each other. I don't think another spender like rend is an option though, something like ignore pain would be better so you can just stand there and take hits while keeping the mobs in your earthquake area.

I think something along those lines is going to be the go-to farming method for underequipped barbs, but the ultimate farmer build with good gear will be completely different.
  13. Mn_Swe2

Mn_Swe2 IncGamers Member

Thanks for feedback all :)

Updates
    Rune changed to The Mountains Call for Earthquake = costs 0 Fury to cast now instead of 50.

Primary skill changed to Frenzy with Maniac rune.

Playstyle update
    I keep passive Unforgiving. This way I will be at max Fury when finding a new pack of monsters. (I will be around 100 Fury when doing so, depending on gear.)
    When pack is engaged...

1. Use Wrath of the Berserker for damage boost, cost 50 Fury.
    2. Run into middle of pack and summon Call of the Ancients, cost 50 Fury so I be around 0 now or just above.
    3. Immediately after use Ground Stomp to gather all monsters and stun them, gains 15 Fury.
    4. Use Earthquake with monsters now nicely packed and stunned, cost 0 Fury thanks to rune choice..
    5. While the Ancients continue to maul the monsters, use Rend every 3 seconds and switch to Frenzy in between as primary skill.

During step 1 -> 4 I will need 100 Fury, after that I will only need to generate 20 Fury every 3 secs to be able to use Rend as often as possible. Cleave with Fury generation is overkill for that. I think I will rather go with Frenzy with damage boost rune. It will do great damage and also some speed benefit to run between the last surviving monsters in the pack to finish them off.

I think the Fury generation from Frenzy will be enough to gain 20 Fury every 3 secs, which means that the passive skill Weapons Master can be exchanged, or I can use another weapon then mighty because I do not need to get that extra Fury generation from it.

Link to updated build,
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#WcYjTP!YhS!cbZZbZ
  14. Mn_Swe2

Mn_Swe2 IncGamers Member

Nahh I do not think so. Even with godly gear the best way to farm will be to hunt these packs, and then you should focus on doing as much damage as possible under a short time to disintegrate that pack, before you hunt next pack.

The ultimate play style will be the same, and also the skills. With better items you can go after tougher and tougher monster packs though, so ultimately you will be playing like this in Inferno Act4. :)

15. RazeBarb

The fact that you can open up the fight with WotB is very interesting. Depending on your gear, that will most likely kill the pack in seconds.
    And the cooldown/fury regen shouldn't be a problem until you find the next pack.
  16. Mn_Swe2

Mn_Swe2 IncGamers Member

Yeah, engaging a pack with WotB and following up with Ancients, GroundStomp and Earthquake is a real killer. The monsters will be sitting ducks while my possy of 5 (me + 3 Ancients + Follower) mauls them. I think this build is starting to look really solid now. :)

[​IMG]

17. Lucas S

Lucas S IncGamers Member

Good luck finding a +3 teleport ring! :)

18. Mn_Swe2

Mn_Swe2 IncGamers Member

Haha, depending on the area it should be doable without. The outside areas are big and easy to just run passed the normal monsters.

For narrow areas it will certainly be more difficult but not impossible. Groundstomp can be used on the fly to stun monster packs to ease passing them.

19. Volpula

Volpula IncGamers Member

I still wonder with WotB- Insanity rune what will be the damage of Earthquake? %4000?
  20. RazeBarb

I just realized that my build from the 1st page of this thread is really awesome when playing the game in general, but might suck against single targets like a boss.

I'll have to come up with a boss-build, too.