Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Ugrading the Blacksmith

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Zhao_Yue, Jun 21, 2012. | Replies: 14 | Views: 1784

1. Zhao_Yue

Zhao_Yue IncGamers Member

It's cool the new patch reduces costs for the blacksmith and jeweller making them much more viable, since I never intend to use the Auction House. I've upgraded the blacksmith to a point when he now needs pages of training to proceed. However in all of my gameplay I've never seen one drop ... is the either a minimum level or act/difficulty they start dropping? Or is the text in the normal white could, and I my have missed them as I ignore most white items?
  2. Shagsbeard

Shagsbeard IncGamers Member

I don't know the answer to this, because I'm in the same position... but I do know that the pages and whatnot are white items and are easily overlooked if you've developed an aversion to looking through the white items for loot. I'm in Act III normal and haven't seen one yet. If any of the developers peek in here for giggles, we could really use the ability to set the color of drops to our own liking. On the same interface, we could set pickup status from "auto" to "manual" to "never".
  3. Painman

Painman IncGamers Member

You'll start to see them drop in Nightmare, pretty much right off the bat.
  4. lukin

lukin IncGamers Member

The pages start dropping in NM act1 and once you are done upgrading with the pages, you will need tomes of jewelcrafting/blacksmith to upgrade and those start dropping in Hell act 1. I'm at the point where I need tomes of secrets which I can only assume drop in inferno.
  5. inthayne

inthayne IncGamers Member

Also the 'Tome of Secrets' are blue, so no worries missing them in Inferno
  6. Aconite

Aconite IncGamers Member

Yes, the tomes drop in Act 1 of Inferno... quite frequently, thankfully.
  7. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

I still don't understand why they made the tomes blue, and the others white. Anyone know why?
  8. Ojimijam

Ojimijam IncGamers Member

its a secret
  9. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

Not a very well kept one if I'm finding them every coupe minutes!
  10. Aconite

Aconite IncGamers Member

That's because the tomes are magic, of course!

:thankyou:

11. BaronScarpia

BaronScarpia IncGamers Member

Trying to delve into design here:

Yep, a tome of secrets is magic. While the other tomes can be used only by one artisan (Blacksmith/Jeweler) , the tome of secrets can be used by any artisan of any speciality (sad part is that we only have 2 artisans in the world), that's why they are magical.

You can buy them on AH for cheap, if you use AH and want to upgrade your artisans on early difficulties, namely, your Jeweler. (If I could make my blacksmith dumber in exchange of gold...)

Edit: sorry, I'm blind, didn't saw the "I never plan to use the AH" part on the OP. On earlier levels, blacksmith is good, but it seems to be better just farm for gear and save gold for repair costs/gem upgrades than spending time with blacksmith.

Normally, you want Stat, Vit, All Res wherever you can. Godly mod(s) of your build in good numbers somewhere (life on hit, crit chance, crit damage, stuff...). While you can handle the game with big stick of hurt (your best dps weapon) and a 2 stats (early-mid hell), blacksmith is good. After that, if AH isn't your thing, imo you should save gold for vendors (there are blues with dual stat + all res)/mfing/gems/repair costs.
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  12. Zhao_Yue

Zhao_Yue IncGamers Member

They start dropping at the beginning of Nightmare? I am also only in Act 3 Normal so upgrading will have to wait quite a while. That is a little disappointing as the current crafting list is pretty limited (only 5-6 rares, iirc). And the crafting supplies are builing up, taking up valuable trunk space.

As an aside, crafting is random and the class crafting the item has no influence right? I crafted a few helmets with my wizard and most of them came with some amount of INT, coincidence?

You're right, most of the decent items on my characters are from monster drops. I may have crafted a really nice pair of pants, but that's about it.

I'm only in Normal so just focusing on Primary Stat/Vit/+Dmg. Hardest part is always obtaining a decent weapon ... 3/5 of my characters are still stuck with crappy blues, but I'm happy my Wizard lucked out with a really good 1H sword (w/ flawless Ruby).
  13. muzzz

muzzz IncGamers Member

If it makes you feel any better, the recipes you'll get from levels requiring pages will require NM crafting ingredients...

Nearly all of my items that can have sockets, do. I've gotten to the point where I'll pretty much blindly dump anything that doesn't have sockets or green numbers.
  14. BrettTurner

BrettTurner IncGamers Member

Actually they drop pretty regularly in normal Whimsyshire too---that's where I did my first few pages-required upgrades.

15. Painman

Painman IncGamers Member

^ Forgot about normal Whimsy -- this is true. Unfortunately, NM Whimsy doesn't produce tomes. Gotta actually enter Hell for those.