Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Uber Monk Critique

Discussion in 'Monk' started by Sass, Dec 16, 2012. | Replies: 12 | Views: 7387

1. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

Hello! I'll be using my Monk for Ubers. So far, she's farmed the Infernal Machine Plans, 3 keys of Terror (I think...it's the A3 one and I'm still memorizing the act or key names :p ). The most I've tried (successfully) is farming A4 at MP8. I can do MP10, but elites with molten, plagued and reflects (usually only if it's all) just smash me.

I tried getting a screenshot, but they all show up a grey, blank screen. :/ My stats above and beyond the profile is ~850 all res (without OWE, done via Mantra of Healing-Time of Need for 20%), and 8.5K Armor (Deadly Reach-Keen Eye for 50%, which completely negates the Hell Witches). I know I should get LoH, which I think I have none right now. My DH has my old pair that I used for them, but it'll drop me 140 all res (pre ToN, so almost 150-160 res). Also, I lose CD, but gain 4 CC. Is it really worth it for 300 LoH? =/ I like the mitigation, which is also why I keep my shield constantly rather than dual wield (more an MP0 thing).

All in all, probably not the best, but it's the best geared char I have. Low budget (1M since I spent recently on the gems, and still have to get the Hellfire plan for Jeweler). Anyway, 42K life, 800+ res, and 8K armor with 50+K damage (which I hear is good), I do feel confident enough, but want some comments before I take the plunge, try Ubers MP10, get creamed and waste my keys :p

Also, should I even do Mp10? Is 8 or 9 still feasible? 80% chance is still good, and it cuts 1K% life off, and tons of damage off...

Thanks y'all :)

EDIT: Oh, and what's an effective boss to test before I actually do MP10 Ubers? It has to be one fairly quick to get to (not wanting to spend an hour fighting trash mobs to get to him like the Seigebreaker and such). How comparable are the Ubers to things like Belial, regular Ghom, and Diablo? And I need 5 stacks fighting the Ubers as well, right?
  2. Dogbert

Dogbert IncGamers Member

The uber bosses are the same as the bosses from the acts. There is only some small differences like uber magda uses arcane sentries.
    Just do the bosses on the appropriate mp setting to see how you fare. It's normally no problems even on high mp settings. The only thing you really have to watch out for is uber zoltan kulle from act 2. At mp8 or maybe even less he can easily one shot people with 40k hp and 700+ resists with his collapse move.

You got pretty decent gear on your monk and you have the right ideas with your choices. You can easily drop that shield for another weapon with some loh. 2.2% life steal is on the low side vs the reflect uber boss (siegebreaker assault beast)

Your resists are fine. For the time beeing you can use mantra of conviction to get more healing out of life steal. Another possibility is the Boon of Inspiration rune for mantra of healing to get some life on hit.

There is really no reason to use shields anymore. They belonged in a different time 1.0.3 and earlier when the game was extraordinary hard and dying happened on a regular basis.

You have 50k dps you really shouldn't bother with higher than mp5. Mp10 is for 200k dps charachters.
    It will take a lifetime and another to take down an uber boss with 50k dps on mp10. I see no reason to torture yourself.
  3. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

Thanks for the help. :)

I'll see what I can about the weapon / shield thing. Regarding MoC, I've tried it and it doesn't work, not even overawe. I take way more damage from reflects, and the damage isn't enough to substitute being a better tank. I do normally run Evasion with Backlash. My 2 APS boosts it to 65+ WD, and procs nearly constantly. I think people over look it since it's a chance to dodge (I have 55% with that, and can get 65-70 with passives + Flash FoT) with chance to act, but it's truly a constant. Against a mob or Illusionists, I blow up at least 10 times a second, killing the Illusions almost instantly, and it leeches as well (IDK about LoH). 1v1, it might not seem as much, but I've run personal tests, and MoC isn't as good. If I can get away with not using Healing, then I'll see what works.

Well, I'll test before hand, but I'm sure I at least want a high MP even if it takes a while. I'd rather have a guaranteed shot than farm tons of times all over again. ><
  4. Karth

Karth IncGamers Member

The problem is that if you take too long, Zultan Kulle and I think Rhakanoth as well both have enrages that instagib you, and siegebreaker's is that old DoT that steadily increases in damage per second that elite packs used to have. So you might have to call in help to finish it if you set it too high - hopefully you have a friend that can bull through whatever MP you set it for.

You're really best doing it in a group, though. Not a pick-up group, but people you know. You can laugh at everybody dying, enjoy the challenge, try hard to keep the team coordinated, and only have to use one of your machines. It makes ubers a lot more fun, even when you can solo MP10 successfully.

That said, if you really want a ring, aren't interested in the party or solo challenge, or just hate key farming so much you don't want to do any more of it, get someone to carry you through mp10. Lots of people who can handle mp10 (me included) don't like farming keys, especially when plenty of people are willing to use three of their machines for a guaranteed ring they couldn't otherwise get so easily. Let me know if you want to do this. I can't carry people by myself (stupid ZK + SB fight...), but I have a CM wizard buddy that feels the same way about key farming that I do.
  5. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

OH, Zoltan's enrage is easy to spot, and I think I can avoid (SB though... >>). I had to tank plow him the first time I got to him, and he just tele's more onto you and collapses the ceiling. It's the same animation that he uses for the fireball, so a hand raised and GTFO time. (or a well timed Serenity)

How does a team run work? Does everyone get 1 organ each? If so, I'd totally be willing to try a team run sometime. Hopefully I won't die constantly or anything, but I know for a fact I can't do Ghom very well. MP2, 3 were a struggle vs his gas, and dual wield w/ LoH didn't help either. If I kited with Deadly Reach, it was better, but I was hoping I could stand and tank him the same way I can through Belial's mass poison bombs in the same MP. :S

At the very least, I have 3 of the A3 keys, 1 of the A1, and still and farming for A2 (Monk is screwed vs the constructs and serpents). DH does that, but she can only do MP0. Farming sucks :p Alternatively, carrying is expensive isn't it?
  6. Karth

Karth IncGamers Member

In uberland ZK's enrage is a telestomp and 1-hit kill with a fireball. I've seen someone avoid it once - then the same person died a couple seconds later when ZK tried again (after finishing off the rest of the party). He just repeatedly telestomps until he manages to hit you - at which point it's game over.

Everyone has the same chance to get an organ in a team run as they would solo; depends on the MP. So if you're in a team where you're all geared about the same and everybody (but one) contributes a machine, you're effectively tripling the value of your key farming time.

I can't say about your capacity for ghom or any other particular boss. I think ZK will be a pain for you without any mobility skills, but as my monk isn't my main character I don't do ubers with him (not until he can handle mp10 ubers with MoC), and I've never even been in an uber group with a monk of your build.

I don't see why having someone carry you would be expensive (they get organs without having farmed keys, after all), but without a doubt someone's silly enough to pay for it (and thus someone's charging for it). I sure don't; on top of the chance to get a better ring than I already have for my monk/dh/wiz/wd/followers, it gives me some variety and it's darn funny when things go sideways.
  7. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

So what typically is a Monk that carries Ubers? I know I'm fairly cookie cutter, but can very easily side Blinding Flash out for Tempest Rush, and Beacon of Ytar out for Fleet Footed.
  8. Karth

Karth IncGamers Member

FoT (thunderclap) - procs tornados faster than other skills, also teleports to targets like Kulle and such
    Blinding Flash (Faith in the Light)
    Sweeping Wind (cyclone)
    Breath of Heaven (Blazing Wrath) OR Exploding Palm (The Flesh is Weak) in a party where the others aren't useless
    Serenity (Ascension)
    MoC (Overawe)

OWE and StI plus whatever third passive seems least useless to the player.

Gear: Dual wield with high life steal for Siegebreaker, over 2.0 aps (to generate enough spirit to keep MoC refreshed not to mention Faith in the Light scales with attack speed squared), lots and lots of dps, good armor and res, good hp. Y'know, expensive stuff. XD

AFAIK though, the best class to carry ubers solo is a critical mass wizard since they can mostly shut down ZK's teleporting, SB's pickup, etc. Still takes a ton of dps to beat enrage timers though.
  9. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

Yeah, that all sounds like money XD I've tried dual wield, and I'm just too squishy. Then again, all I have for a dex player's offhand is LoH weapons, not steal% :(

I use Deadly for the armor thing, but it's so annoying being so used to Thunderclap, and I had a sneaking suspicion that FoT had a higher proc chance. I was hardly getting any tornadoes with Deadly Reach. Good to know even the tops don't have to worry about swapping that. :)

Oh, and I finally got my first Machine. :) Farming A2 was the absolute worst ><
  10. gakky

gakky IncGamers Member

Some very good advice above for you Sass. My comments :
    Your damage is too low to get much benefit from life steal. Stick to LOH, it's very cost effective with Monks.
    To get a lot less squishy, I suggest invest in OWE. You'll have to replace most of your equipment. The switchover is not easy.
    Message me if you need some help with high MP uber or farming GAK#6148
    (and I have plenty of spare machines).
  11. Dogbert

Dogbert IncGamers Member

Guiding light should definitely be the third passive skill. +15% damage to all adjacent party members and +30% damage to yourself if you use Blazing wrath.
  12. Pizzarino

Pizzarino IncGamers Member

My best skill setup for 2 monks doing ubers:

Higher damage monk
    Fist of Thunder - Thunderclap
    Deadly Reach - Foresight
    Blinding Flash - Faith in the Light
    Breath of Heaven - Blazing Wrath
    Sweeping Wind - Cyclone
    Mantra of Conviction - Overawe
    One With Everything
    Seize the Initiative