Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Tyrael's sword

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Volpula, Mar 17, 2012. | Replies: 7 | Views: 5758

1. Volpula

Volpula IncGamers Member

Tyrael's sword

From the datamined installation story video this sentence caught my attention:

"Tyrael believed that only one drastic act would spare mankind from damnation. And so he hurled his sword, El'druin, into the Worldstone, shattering the crystal and igniting a catastrophic explosion."

I don't know the reason why Azureblade got it's name changed, I think it's related with the comic books "Sword of Justice". I also wonder with which name the sword is mentioned in comic books. What are your thoughts?
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  2. Mage Slayer

Mage Slayer IncGamers Member

Re: Tyrael's sword

Azurewrath was Izual's sword not Tyrael's.
  3. Volpula

Volpula IncGamers Member

Ah, you're right poor me I meant Azureblade

4. droppin

droppin IncGamers Member

It's called El'druin in the comic book too. I haven't read them cause I don't like comic books, but I hear it's basically about a kid who finds the missing sword and does w/e with it. I'm thinking they changed the name just to make it more epic sounding. I mean Imperious has SOLARIAN!! scourge of the 7 hells!!!* (added by me :D), and Tyrael has azureblade (picture butterflies or something).

Just a way to get more background lore inot the story, make it more epic, and it can be easily half retconned like the dark wanderer. "Well it's technically a blue blade named El'druin but people call it different things at different times" (something like that).
  5. raveharu

raveharu IncGamers Member

6. SyntaxError

SyntaxError IncGamers Member

I still think Tyrael's old El'druin looks cooler.
  7. Volpula

Volpula IncGamers Member

Me too, Syntax. I hope we'll come across it in some point.
  8. SyntaxError

SyntaxError IncGamers Member

What they should have done was kept the Azureblade as the sword of Tyrael's that was hauled at the worldstone, and then lost only to be found by Jacob. And El'druin, now the most powerful piece of weaponry to exit the Courts of Justice.

But then again Tyrael may or may not have been imprisoned in Heaven for the last 20 years so any ways for him to get access to a new signature weapon would be limited.
    That's why we see him wielding what looks to be Imperius' Solarian, or perhaps another Angelic spear.