Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Two months to decide on a laptop(or possibly a desktop) if

Discussion in 'Tech Support for Diablo 3, Battle.Net & Systems' started by darkstarhub, Mar 16, 2012. | Replies: 57 | Views: 17930

1. darkstarhub

darkstarhub IncGamers Member

Two months to decide on a laptop(or possibly a desktop)

With the announcement yesterday, I have 2 months to get something that will play D3 on the highest settings. I am sure the current machine will not be able to do it, so I have been on the hunt for the last month or so. I have considered an Alienware, but I have read posts on here that seem to put them in a bad light. I have read alot of reviews about them, and the vast majority were good or great. The price tag is insane for a laptop, and some of that is buying a name. I have also been looking into the Asus G74SX-A2, which is a pretty damn good machine as well. I am not going to say that money is not an object, but I can talk myself into dropping a good bit of change on what I want.

I have went back and forth about buying a desktop or laptop. I like to be able to move to different places in the house to play, so a laptop is what I would rather have. I planned on getting a dual N band router to help speed things up, but would I be better off connecting by wire? I guess it would not be the end of the world to make a place for a desktop and just stick it out there. I would probably need to put a exhaust fan above me to suck out all the cig smoke. I have considered building a desktop, but I dont want to run into compatibillity issues and messing around with drivers, or possibly frying something.

So, I guess what I am asking for is an assist in the direction I need to go, or bringing to light something I am overlooking.
  2. Enlil

Enlil IncGamers Member

Re: Two months to decide on a laptop(or possibly a desktop)

I have a laptop, dell xps i5 4gb ram with an nvidia GT525m at 1366x768 I play beta on lowest setting "which still look amazing" and get 60-70fps in beta but only 20-30 on high settings, so if you want to play on high you'll need an i5 or i7 with a GTXm card "expensive"
    Asus do make good gaming laptops but the alienware/dell stuff is good despite all the negative comments, I've never had a problem with mine.

From my experiance in beta you need to have 60fps or it lags with so much going on the screen.
    I think you'd be happier with the performance of a desktop if you want high setting "which don't look much different than low"
    I like closing the lid and putting my laptop away after a d3 session xD with no bulky desktop and cables everywhere !
  3. BohemianStalker

BohemianStalker IncGamers Member

Go for laptop man :)

And do yourself a favor, buy this pad. I have been using it for more than six months and they cooling, comfort + sound improvement is really great!

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...g-pads/devices/6564 &cd=7&hl=cs&ct=clnk&gl=cz

You are right Dells are overpriced , but asus are good dont buy some crap like acer though...

I am suggesting MSI, Asus..

try looking here

http://www.bestgaminglaptop.net/articles-guides/top-10-gaming-laptops/

4. Tilitoon

Tilitoon IncGamers Member

When you say you like the idea of being able to move to different places in the house to play, what do you mean exactly ? Because the term "laptop" for these machines is probably not appropriate : don't expect to be able to play with these (like the Asus notebook you mentioned) on your laps while watching TV in your living room. If what you want is to be able to play in 2 different rooms, on a desk, then yes they are an option. But you will need to bring the huge power brick with you too. If these are like my M1730, the performance drops a lot when you are on battery power, and since the power consumption is very high, you won't be able to use it for a long period of time unplugged anyway. So basically, these notebooks are good for desktop replacement, that you can more easily move from one place to another, but you don't get the same portability as a "standard" notebook. If this is what you are looking for, I would personally lean a bit more toward the MSI GT780DX-406US : http://www.msimobile.com/level3_productpage.aspx?id=337. The most important aspect in any gaming rig is the video card, and this one has a GTX 570M and is cheaper than the Asus. It seems more balanced for gaming.

But for the price you obviously want a desktop, since you could have better performance for almost half the price (only the tower though, not the monitor).

Think about that and if you have any more questions let us know.
  5. dfold

dfold IncGamers Member

If you've got the space go with a desktop. Way more bang for the buck.
  6. darkstarhub

By moving around the house I mean to be able to set the laptop on the coffee table, bar, or kitchen table, and also keeping it plugged in. Battery life is not an issue and not very important really. I have never checked out a MSI laptop, and for the price, it seems pretty good. In the laptop review that BohemianStalker linked, it came in 4th behind a Clevo and 2 Alienware setups. I know this has little to do with the most important part of a gaming rig, but the MSI has Dynaudio speakers. This is cool because I was into sound quality car audio for a good while and I had Dynaudio speakers. They were hand assembled in Denmark and the cost was stupid for car speakers. To this day they are the best speakers I have ever heard. I know laptop sound leaves alot to be desired, but it would still be cool, to me anyway.

I guess the need for a little mobility comes from not turning into a hermit. I could see myself taking up a corner of my room and not ever coming out if I was tied down by a desktop. With a laptop I can move to the living room and at least be in the same room as my wife, even though she cant stand to hear me clicking so much on the mouse!

Is a wireless connection reliable enough to play D3 on? I have only played single player D2 and have never went on Battlenet, so I dont really know. Thanks for the links guys. I am going to look into MSI a little more. For 1700$ its not enough to break the bank. Everytime I go through and start adding options to an Alienware, I get up to the 2,500$ to 3,000$ range, and that is just absolutely crazy, and I dont think necessary to play D3.
  7. jamesL

jamesL IncGamers Member

For 1700$ you could build 2 decent desktops for the price of one laptop

(the above will not include a new monitor, so you'd have to be happy with your current monitor and that is what you'd have to move from one desktop to the other)
  8. Enlil

Enlil IncGamers Member

you don't need a beast to run D3 all blizz games run on low end machines, if you could see beta running on my dell xps with a 525m you'd be impressed. Alienware with 4gb ram and a gt540 will run great
  9. BohemianStalker

BohemianStalker IncGamers Member

Wi-fi will do just fine. And your wife will surelly appreciate no wires around house (I know my family does).

By the way, Diablo3 does not have to communicate with server as often as other games, in other words it is a pretty stable game. Most of lags and spikes which are happening now are cause by unoptimized beta servers.

The only moment I would hesitate is you telling me you are a hardcore player. I think I would go for wire here(but meh, that is propably just superstition, WI-fi is ok even in this case :)

10. Tilitoon

Yea a wireless connection for DIII should be sufficient. I don't know what is the layout of your house / kitchen / bar, but if you want wired connection speed / reliability you could use powerline Ethernet. Linksys has some nice products, you can either buy a 1 port or a 4 ports adapter (http://home.cisco.com/en-us/promotions/powerline/compare). All you would need to do is to plug in one adapter next to your router, link your router to the adapter with an ethernet cable, plug in the other adapter in a wall socket where you want to get access to your network / internet, and use a short ethernet cable to plug it to your notebook. I don't know how elegant it would be though, if you can't hide the short ethernet cable.

And just so you know, the model I linked will allow you to completely max out DIII. I chose it because the initial Asus notebook your talked about was even more expensive so it seemed to me that you wanted something in that price range. Otherwise there are also cheaper options that would allow you to ~max DIII too but obviously this model is pretty neat and it has great features (I love backlit keyboards). If you decide to go for the notebook option I would highly recommend you to use a laptop cooler (something like the Zalman ZM-NC2000B).

Otherwise if you need some advises for a desktop, we'll help you out.
  11. Herald of Doom

Herald of Doom IncGamers Member

It seems you're pretty set on a laptop so here's some additional thoughts for you:

1) Do you want glossy or matte screen
    2) Do resolution and/or screen quality matter to you?
    3) Do noiselevels, size and weight matter or not?
    4) Will you be using the laptops keyboard and/or trackpad? Do you want a specific style (chiclet,..) and backlight or not?
    5) SSD or not? Maybe combined with mechanical HDD?
  12. Diab

Diab IncGamers Member

I don't know why anyone would want a glossy screen.

13. Tilitoon

Hahaha :) I know, but for some reason some people like brighter colors with screen reflections better than accurate colors... go figure.

14. darkstarhub

I am pretty set on a laptop, but I cant rule out the possibillity of a desktop. Noise, size and weight are not a big deal. I have been doing some homework on SSD and how one of these drives would effect D3 play. I have think the developers of D3 had in mind the vast majority of people that will play this game will have a standard mechanical drive. I am sure in the future, the mechanical drive will go the way of the dinosaur, as less moving parts is always better and it would seem to me less hard drive failures. Adding a SSD will make a laptop more expensive no matter how you look at it. Gonna keep on grinding till I find what I want I guess!
  15. darkstarhub

Hey Tilitoon, do you know if MSI is made or assembled in the USA? Even if they were just assembled in the USA, I would buy one for sure. I am just about sold on them.
  16. Tilitoon

Most of the electronic stuff is made in Asia, MSI is a Taiwanese company. Not sure if they are assembled in the US, I doubt it. I haven't used their support yet, as I only bought motherboards from them and they never failed so I don't know how good it is. They are all around the world and in the business for more than 25 years (longer than Asus).

17. darkstarhub

I didn't figure they were made or assembled in the USA, but it would have been cool. I am a union worker so I at least try to buy things made in America. It's a rare thing actually. I think MSI would be a good brand to go with, but I had never heard of them, and I am trying to find out what I can about them. Thanks.
  18. Herald of Doom

Herald of Doom IncGamers Member

For what it's worth, I don't know of any major laptop brand still manufactured or assembled in the US.
    MSI is on of the biggest motherboard companies (they sell to big pc builders like Dell or HP) and they're originally from Taiwan. They manufacture in mainland China like everyone else now. Their laptops are generally known as good value for money, especially the gaming models.

About the SSD: It will not help D3 specifically but I advise SSD's for an overall more pleasant experience.
  19. darkstarhub

OK, I got a chance to play the beta for 2 days from the site. I was curious as to how my current laptop would handle the game. I have DSL for my Internet and it's probably not the fastest in the world by no means. On the latency bar I was averaging between 110 and 160 ms latency, which is probably not very good.
    My issue is the game was running slow, as in my character kinda seemed like she was on downers or something. It wasn't so bad in a small place, but out in the world it was bad. I wasn't getting any skipping or anything, but during the skeleton king with all kinds of stuff going on, it would skip around some and slow down more. I download the latest driver for the ATI mobility radeon 4850 that's in my laptop but it didn't seem to help. I was also playing with wifi connection. I went into the options and tried to lower the settings but I never could tell any difference.
    My question is this: was the problem my laptop not being up to par, or the Internet speed not being fast enough? I found out I only was at a 3 mb download speed and switched it to 12 which is the highest I can get in my area for DSL. It won't Chang till this weekend so I don't know if that will help or not. I watched some videos on YouTube op D3 playthroughs and they all showed a character movement much faster than what I was seeing. I can fix the computer part as I planned on getting something else anyway. If the DSL isn't going to be good enough to play the game than I am screwed.
    Sorry for the wall of text, but if anybody could help me out I would appreciate it very much.
  20. Tilitoon

I don't think an internet connection problem would make the game seem to run slower. You would probably experience a delay when the loot is dropped from chests and monsters and the mobs would probably skips / teleport. If the game is generally slow and even slower in bigger environments, it would be client related.

What's the CPU in that machine ?
    That video card should be able to handle the game at pretty much max, but did you lower the visual quality to see if it would help ?

Also, there are some problem with the Agent program, which could cause issues like the one you are experiencing. The best fix so far is to add "-launch" at the end of the shortcut to the DIII program so it would look like "Diablo III Beta\Diablo III.exe" -launch. You can also look at the task manager while the game is running to make sure you don't have multiple instances of DIII / the Agent or the Launcher.