Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Trade Gems and Craftables on the AH - It's Worth it

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Market & Economy Discussion Forum' started by Catastrophe, May 17, 2012. | Replies: 12 | Views: 7832

1. Catastrophe

Catastrophe IncGamers Member

1) Unlike items, you can cancel your auctions for consumables at any time. This means that you can always free up one of your valuable auction slots at a moment's notice. Did you price that flawless topaz too high? No problem. Cancel it, stash it, and relist it. A bad item auction however will clog up your auctions for two days.

2) People are getting scammed by the UI. I figured this out immediately, but I can see where the confusion is. Here's the 'scam' that Blizzard is running:

• Search for an item with a quantity of 1, such as 1 chipped ruby.
    • The price for a single gem will appear along with the average.
    • Click buy. If the price has gone down since your initial search you'll get a refund. If it has gone up (someone beat you to it) then the buyout will fail. Chances are you'll get the chipped ruby.
    • Click buy again. You've just consented to purchasing a second chipped ruby at any price. It makes sense, and I never fell for it. But lots of people are getting suckered.

So make sure you always refresh your search after each purchase. Never undercut on gems because some poor guy will misuse the UI to overpay every single time.

3) Use other people's low prices to advertise your higher priced gem. Either the 'scam' will sucker someone into paying more for your gem, or they'll buy in bulk. Say for example someone orders 2 chipped rubies, this time on purpose. Blizzard will say "Okay sir, your total is 1400g." That's a good price, so the buyer finalizes the transaction. But the buyer doesn't know or care that the 2 rubies came from two sellers who charged 400g and 1000g. If the buyer had seen a price of 2000g, then maybe he wouldn't have bought those rubies? Your anonymous partner just did you a big favor.

Also, like crafting materials, gems are drastically under valued right now. It's probably because no one has any gold! In one quest in late normal I might earn 10-20k between the reward and drops. Apparently a radiant gem is worth 15 minutes of work in normal difficulty? Even though radiant gems drop less frequently than one every 15 minutes in late NM? I think that's wrong. Radiant gems are very powerful for their current price. And there's no level requirement!
  2. Catastrophe

Catastrophe IncGamers Member

This information will be laughably out of date in a matter of hours, but a written log might be useful. The prices listed are not either running average listed on the AH. These are my prices: any lower and I'd buy, any higher and I'd sell. I find that the averages listed on the AH are too volatile to be useful. Also, when people accidentally sell gems for 50g (thank you) they break the averages.

[TABLE="class: grid, width: 500"]
    Amethyst Emerald Topaz Ruby Normal 200 1400 1100 3000 Flawless 1100 2000 2200 6800 Perfect 3500 5000 4000 12000 Radiant 7000 8000 7000 20000 SQUARE 23000 30000 25000 34000 R-SQUARE - 75000 79000 125000 [/TABLE]

A chipped ruby is worth at least 1000g. The market will buy any rubies right now no matter how stupid it is to combine them.

Pages of jewel crafting: 500g
    Pages of blacksmithing: 750g

I'm proud of myself for accurately predicting the value of gems. Before the game shipped I looked at the gem stats and guessed that rubies would be by far the most popular and that amethysts would be in the basement. (Except in hardcore.) I was right! The factors affecting demand are:

Rubies: barbs love their strength stat, and +damage in all weapons (including wands)
    Topazes: wizards love their int stat, and magic find in a helm
    Emeralds: +dexterity for other classes, and gold find in a helm
    Amethysts: nothing good except in the helmet, were it's actually pretty good.
  3. Trump

Trump IncGamers Member

from personal experience as nearing level 60, these prices cannot stay. these gems, including r square, are COMMON. all of them will go down, and I argue quite drastically. sell sell sell.

p.s. amethyst is universally wanted for the hp. people will soon learn that they need that hp.
  4. Ayewyn

Ayewyn IncGamers Member

I'm selling all my gems and pages after each session, it's been going well so far. I am still shocked at how low crafting mats have gone, at these rates you lose money when you salvage, by quite a large %.
  5. Trump

Trump IncGamers Member

due to the crafting cost of making an item in normal (2000g) and the relatively short time you're actually in normal and finally combined with how unlikely you are to get an item that is "good", even if crafting materials are sold at 0g, you make a loss when you craft items in normal

the front page has a speculation of buying rare teeth for 50g each

it's an interesting bet. I argue that they will be selling for 16g apiece on the auction house, which is basically 1g higher than vendor price (you still lose money selling them at 16g on the ah)

at the time of this post, fallen tooth are selling for 15g on the auction house. I chose not to buy them because I am too lazy to speculate this zero risk proposition :p

fallen tooth vendor for 15g.

6. Ayewyn

Ayewyn IncGamers Member

fallen tooth vendors for 15g, but the items you have to salvage to get them sell for much more.
  7. CptSlappy

CptSlappy IncGamers Member

The prices at the europe auction house for radiant gems are now around 400 gold, except rubys which are at 1500 gold.

Why are people selling these items so cheap? I doesn't even make sense to craft anymore, since the price for crafting is much higher...
  8. Ashbringer

Ashbringer IncGamers Member

Think about it, gems are only used in sockets (as far as I know) and you can even get the gem back. Gems also drop quite frequently. No gems are even "consumed". Everything points toward that the market will have excess amount of gems compared to buyers. Many sellers will probably be satisfied if they sold it above the vendor price.

9. PearlOrion

PearlOrion IncGamers Member

It's not worth to upgrade/combine any of the gems that are of lower in quality than the highest quality which can drop in Inferno.
    You need organized trade oligarchies/conglomerates to herd the masses of trade simpletons to control the prices.

10. shera

shera IncGamers Member

What is the highest level of gem that can drop in inferno, I remember jay saying that highest level of gem that can drop is level 8. But if u look into diablo nut star level gem has item level of 63, act 3 and 4 inferno has monster level 63. So does this mean that highest level of gem that can drop is star level. Can anyone one confirm this.

11. JBSclater

JBSclater IncGamers Member

Just pulled a few quick numbers around 5:35 PM EST... they'll be horribly outdated in a matter of minutes but they show a trend...

[TABLE="width: 323"]
    Amethyst Emerald Ruby Topaz Chipped 110 98 187 138 Flawed 42 50 80 95 Normal 81 96 112 100 Flawless 50 151 189 94 [/TABLE]

10 minutes prior, I was selling chipped rubies at 245. My point in showing this, there is a far greater chance of earning gold at the chipped level than any other I've seen. Maybe because the influx of newcomers remembers the D2 importance of chipped gems and the ability to upgrade to the next highest level gem at no cost but as you can see from the numbers, as you progress from chipped to flawless, the prices drop fairly quickly...
  12. galzohar

galzohar IncGamers Member

Highest I've seen drop is flawless square. Since it goes for less than 20k, and upgrading to it at the jeweler costs 20k plus pages, it makes sense that all gems below flawless square sell for almost nothing. Those who sold their gems early profited bigtime. Now they're hardly worth the time it takes to list them.

With the massive gold cost of upgrading, it is not unreasonable for flawless squares to become dirt-cheap as well as time goes buy. I still haven't sold mine since I'm not too sure (after all, when patterns start dropping for more people more would be buying them to use for upgrades, while currently people only buy them to use them and only need a very limited amount), but I probably should...
    Last edited: May 23, 2012
  13. viledevil

viledevil IncGamers Member

imo dropped gems will only go down - i sold all my gems as soon as i got em.