Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Tournament: Super Unique!

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by GooberGrape, Dec 26, 2012. | Replies: 217 | Views: 13475

1. GooberGrape

GooberGrape IncGamers Member

"Those devils! This time they've gone too far!"

Goober the Grape returned from a hunt only to find her home ransacked. Broken glass and charred furniture was all that remained of her once beautiful stone cottage.

As she descended the steps to her stash, despair set in. "

Oh no."

It was empty, save for a single +1 staff of Firebolts. Her first magical staff from when she was a young child, before she even knew a single spell by heart.

It was then that she realized they'd stolen her memories as well. She couldn't remember a single enchantment or conjuration.

The one thing she still remembered was a list. The names of every single demon who was responsible, searing in her mind white hot.

In a rage, she grabbed her childhood staff and stormed up the stairs and out into the night.

"Pindleskin, Stormtree, Rakanishu...prepare yourself. I'm coming to claim what's mine!"

***Welcome to the "Super Unique" Tournament!***

The concept of this tournament is to kill every Super Unique monster in the game, and take back your loot!

Disclaimer: This tournament is for fun only! There will be no prizes.

The Rules!

1. HC or SC, both are acceptable. Yes, full SC. This is for fun!
    2. Any version of LoD is accepted, but no Classic.
    3. MP is accepted, but try to avoid rerunning areas.
    4. RWM/RRM/Atma/Gomule (I think these are now called FAM mods?) are all okay.
    5. When in doubt, do whatever is fun to you. It's a GAME ;)

The Challenge!

*You may only equip items dropped by Super Unique monsters or Act Bosses* with the following exceptions:

- You may equip the very first weapon you start the game with
    - You may equip items given to you by quests, such as Ormus's ring
    - You may also equip items imbued by Charsi's quest, socketed by Larzuk, or personalized by Anya.
    - You may use charms but only if they were dropped by an SU
    - You may use any items dropped by SU's in any cube recipe
    - Mercenaries follow same equip rules as players
    - You may use gems and runes freely but only in items that already meet the above criteria.
    - Consumable items such as potions and arrows may be used freely without restriction.

The Heroes!

Since this is the "Super Unique" tournament, you should be playing a "Super Unique" character! This means no Meteorbs, Hammerdins, Javazons, WW barbs, or Fishymancers.But since this is also about having fun, do whatever the heck you want. Just try to play something you've never played and have some fun with it.

Playing this tourney SC will of course be a more forgiving game, so I recommend you try a much harder character build and really make it "Super Unique!"

The Villains!

You get one point per Super Unique killed. There are 60 per difficulty, for a total of 180 points.

Below is a list of all qualifying monsters (Super Uniques, or SU's):

Act I

Corpsefire
    Bishibosh
    Blood Raven
    Bonebreak
    Coldcrow
    Rakanishu
    Treehead Woodfist
    Griswold
    The Countess
    Pitspawn Fouldog
    Bone Ash
    The Smith
    Andariel
    The Cow King

Act II

Radament
    Bloodwitch the Wild
    Fangskin
    Beetleburst
    Coldworm the Burrower
    Fire Eye
    Dark Elder
    The Summoner
    Ancient Kaa the Soulless
    Creeping Feature
    Duriel

Act III

Witch Doctor Endugu
    Stormtree
    Battlemaid Sarina
    Icehawk Riftwing
    Sszark the Burning
    Ismail Vilehand
    Geleb Flamefinger
    Toorc Icefist
    Wyand Voidbringer
    Maffer Dragonhand
    Bremm Sparkfist
    Mephisto

Act IV

Izual
    Hephasto the Armorer
    Infector of Souls
    Grand Vizier of Chaos
    Lord De Seis
    Diablo

Act V

Dac Farren
    Shenk the Overseer
    Eldritch the Rectifier
    Thresh Socket
    Eyeback the Unleashed
    Sharptooth Slayer
    Frozenstein
    Bonesaw Breaker
    Snapchip Shatter
    Pindleskin
    Nihlathak
    Colenzo the Annihilator
    Achmel the Cursed
    Bartuc the Bloody
    Ventar the Unholy
    Lister the Tormentor
    Baal

FAQ:

Q: So I can use any item that I find for the Charsi imbue quest?
    A: Yes, any item you find with your tournament character. I'll use an example. Say my tournament character finds a Pike on a regular monster, not a Super Unique or Act Boss. Normally I would not be able to equip it due to the rules of this tournament. But if I use Charsi's imbue on it, then it becomes a "Super Unique item" and I may equip it freely. Same goes for Larzuk's socket quest or Anya's personalization. This gives you three "free" items per difficulty, and also allows you to build a few runewords which would otherwise be sorely missing.

Q: Can I use runes and gems?
    A: Yes you may use any runes and gems you find on any monster, not only SU's. But you may only equip them in items dropped by SU's. So save those gems and runes for cube recipes, modify the items you find on SU's and make them awesome!

Q: Can I use any cube recipe I want?
    A: Yes you may use any cube recipe you like. But the equippable item must be dropped by SU's.

Example: 4 Health Potions (of any type) + Ruby (any type) + Magical Sword = A Magic Sword of the Leech. In this case only the sword needs to come from a SU.

Example: Diamond (any quality) + 1 Staff (any type and quality) + 1 Kris (any quality) + 1 Belt (any type and quality) = Savage Polearm Class Weapon. In this case the Staff, Kris, and Belt all need to come from SU's.

You may also turn your SU items into Crafted Items, which are totally awesome: http://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Crafting_Recipes

Q: Can you give me any tips on which build to play? You don't really specify in the rules.
    A: Do something you've never tried! If you still have no idea what to pick, then might I recommend a few simple characters that fit the title of "Super Unique" while still being able to beat Hell:

Ranged paladin
    Tri-elemental sorceress
    Poison dagger necromancer
    Double throw barb
    Fire/passive amazon
    Werebear druid
    Fire MA/traps assassin

Below is the signup sheet:

Code:
    Forum Name      Hero Name      Class        HC/SC    Last Waypoint       Score
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    GooberGrape     Strawberry     Amazon       SC       Rogue Encampment        0

This tournament will run starting today until March 1, 2013.

Time to take back your loot and become a Super Unique!

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  2. srrw

srrw IncGamers Member

Code:
    srrw            ????           ????         HC       Rogue Encampment        0
    I'll start when I decide what build to play.

3. djmbbandie

djmbbandie IncGamers Member

Code:
    srrw            ????           ????         HC       Rogue Encampment        0
    d[SIZE=2]jmbbandie      [SIZE=2]Electro        P[SIZE=2]aladin      SC       [SIZE=2]Rogue Encampment        [SIZE=2]0
    [/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

In with a zeal+holy shock combo. Wonder what I'll get...

Edit: I assume the players 8 command is allowed, correct?

4. srrw

srrw IncGamers Member

Code:
    srrw            Eve            Sorceress    HC       Rogue Encampment        0
    d[SIZE=2]jmbbandie      [SIZE=2]Electro        P[SIZE=2]aladin      SC       [SIZE=2]Rogue Encampment        [SIZE=2]0
    [/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

FO/TS/FW it is.

5. Morathi

Morathi IncGamers Member

Awesome idea! Sounds very similar to a tourney made a few years ago.

I am in with a HC Barbarian named Ced, going to invest in high level find item, for some double SU drops hehehe :). Lets just hope i can successfully hork them lol. Build will probably evolve to be a Berserker barb...but i guess we shall see how it all pans out.

Someone add me to the table please :).

QUESTION: Are we free to re-visit old acts to complete quest rewards? Didn't see this mentioned in the OP.

6. GooberGrape

Players 8 is allowed.

Saving quest rewards is allowed. However try to avoid rerunning areas/bosses when revisiting old areas.

Clever idea on the horking, I'll allow it :)

7. djmbbandie

djmbbandie IncGamers Member

Code:
    d[SIZE=2]jmbbandie      [SIZE=2]Electro        P[SIZE=2]aladin      SC       Cold Plains[SIZE=2]             [SIZE=2]5
    [/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]Morathi         [SIZE=2]Ced            [SIZE=2]Barbarian    HC       Rogue Encampment        0[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

From the Diary of Electro:

I need a belt (sash, light belt), anything from an SU will do. Also, a bow would be nice for Annor

Corpsefire- rare throwing knife, beryl leather gloves (ethereal)
    Bishibosh- buckler of blocking, Fiend claw leather gloves
    Coldcrow- Boots of dexterity, septic hand axe
    Blood Raven – Sharp large axe (ethereal), Gale Guard preserved head
    Bonebreaker – Gale Mantle (ethereal) Quilted Armor, Skull Scratch Dagger

Electro the future Tesladin, with Annor the not equipped at all fire rogue, level 11 in the Cold Plains. Next Up: Stony Field

8. SunsetVista

SunsetVista IncGamers Member

I'm in with a Rabies druid with wolf backup. SC in case I have to take a break and come back to it.

Code:
    djmbbandie      Electro        Paladin      SC       Cold Plains             5
    Morathi         Ced            Barbarian    HC       Rogue Encampment        0
    SunsetVista     Garruk         Druid        SC       Rogue Encampment        0

9. wakiki

wakiki IncGamers Member

I really like the simplicity and balance of these rules. I may enter with a HC Enchantress. I'll post updates when/if I start.

10. SunsetVista

Off to a good but somewhat slow start. Can't complain much about my super unique drops so far. I hired a fire rogue when I hit lvl 8, but she's only wearing a hat.

Corpsefire - Sturdy Cap + Katar
    Bishibosh - Wand of the Leech + Rare Club (Glyph Song)
    Coldcrow - Buckler of Remedy + Triumphant Club
    Blood Raven - Skull Cap of Light + Shimmering Small Shield of Remedy
    Bonebreaker - Rare Sash (Soul Cord) + Crimson Leather Gloves
    Rakanishu - Jagged Scimitar + Sturdy Skull Cap

-----
    Glyph Song
    Club
    One Hand Damage: 1 - 7
    Durability: 21 of 24
    Required Level: 3
    Fingerprint: 0x2fe4e8d0
    Item Level: 5
    Version: Expansion 1.10+
    5% Chance to cast level 1 Amplify Damage on striking
    28% Enhanced Damage
    +209% Damage to Undead
    +49 to Attack Rating against Undead
    Adds 1 - 2 Fire Damage
    +1 to Mana after each Kill
    -----
    Soul Cord
    Sash
    Defense: 3
    Durability: 12 of 12
    Required Level: 3
    Fingerprint: 0x251d0b2f
    Item Level: 5
    +28% Enhanced Defense
    +1 to Strength
    +4 to Life
    +5 to Mana
    +5 Maximum Stamina
    -----

Code:
    SunsetVista     Garruk         Druid        SC       Stony Field             6

Garruk, Rabies Wolf, lvl 13, Stony Field, Underground Passage Next

Oh, and I do have one more question. I found a jewel in a chest. May I use it in a crafting recipe, or do crafting jewels have to come from super uniques?

11. nepeta

nepeta IncGamers Member

Code:
    nepeta          Snuitje        Sorceress    SC       Rogue Encampment        0

12. kstuart

kstuart IncGamers Member

Code:
    kstuart         Buffy          Paladin      SC       Rogue Encampment        1

13. kstuart

kstuart IncGamers Member

Started several days ago but i was tired and couldn't be bothered going beyond the den for the CP WP...

Corpsefire gave me Azure cap of energy and rare boots (LR 5% PR 5% Dex +1 Def +13% and rep dur 1 per 33sec)

Gonna be a fanazealer not that i have a clue how to build one.... Part of the challenge i suppose ;)

14. GooberGrape

Jewels follow same rules as runes and gems. You may loot them off any monster or chest.

15. felixbavaria

felixbavaria IncGamers Site Pal

Code:
    felixbavaria    Araya          Assassin     HC       Rogue Encampment        0

I'm entering with some kind of assassin. Resists are going to be a problem especially in Normal, so I'm leaning towards a build focussing on passive skills. I suppose respecs are allowed within reason?

16. srrw

srrw IncGamers Member

Code:
    srrw            Eve            Sorceress    HC       Rogue Encampment        5

Drops so far:
    Coprsefire - Hand Axe of Flame, Short Bow of Worth
    Bishibosh - Buckler of Blocking, Jagged Javelin
    Blood Raven - Small Shield of Warding, Buckler of the Jackal, Light Crossbow of the Leech, Vicious Throwing Knife
    Bonebreaker - Quilted Armor of Strenght, Iron Dagger of Flame
    Coldcrow - Club of Blight, Cap of Energy

The rogue is killing everything for now with the assist of frost nova. Slow and steady.
    Good thing is that Griswold drops socketed skull caps almost every time and I hope I'll score one :)

I also changed my mind on the build. Ditched the firewall for CL. So the final skill build should be something like FO/CL/TS.

Can we use fulminating/gas potions?

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  17. GooberGrape

Respecs are allowed per standard 1.13 game mechanics. Obviously if you're playing an older version you're out of luck.

Fulminating/gas potions are allowed as long as you don't abuse the repair bug. You can throw what you find on any corpse, but when they're gone they're gone.

18. kstuart

kstuart IncGamers Member

Code:
    kstuart         Buffy          Paladin      SC       Cold Plains             5

Blood Raven dropped town portal scroll and potions only.... Bonebreak did drop two yellows though however but alas one was boots worse than i already had care of Corspey.

Also pondering how in gods name i'll kill Duriel with what is gonna be naff equipment lol

19. GooberGrape

In case I didn't make it clear, you can loot and sell any item. Otherwise it would be nearly impossible to afford merc resurrection, repairs, scrolls, etc. You can only *equip* items dropped by SU's.

20. SunsetVista

Garruk has made it to the Inner Cloister. Rabies is fun, despite my low mana pool. I have 2 Dire Wolves backing me up, Rawr.

Treehead Woodfist - Rare Skull Cap (Bitter Crest) + Bronze Bardiche of Blight
    Griswold - Sturdy Studded Leather + white hand axe + white scimitar
    Ring from Akara - 2 dex
    Countess - Tal rune, Iron Trident of Worth, white spear
    The Smith - Sturdy Heavy Gloves of Dexterity, 2os Hard Leather Armor
    Pitspawn Fouldog - Rare Wolf Head (Cruel Hood), Small Shield of the Jackal

-----
    Bitter Crest
    Skull Cap
    Defense: 14
    Durability: 18 of 18
    Required Level: 4
    Required Strength: 15
    Fingerprint: 0x9a704653
    Item Level: 8
    10% Chance to cast level 3 Charged Bolt when struck
    +10% Faster Hit Recovery
    +18% Enhanced Defense
    +3 to Energy
    +2 to Light Radius
    -----
    Cruel Hood
    Wolf Head
    Defense: 13
    Durability: 12 of 20
    Required Level: 9
    Required Strength: 16
    Fingerprint: 0x668b929e
    Item Level: 14
    +10% Faster Hit Recovery
    +1 to Werewolf (Druid Only)
    +16% Enhanced Defense
    +5 to Energy
    +4 to Life
    Fire Resist +13%
    Poison Resist +6%
    -----
    Notable Finds (not from SU)
    plain Wolf Head
    Hsarus's Iron Stay

Code:
    SunsetVista     Garruk         Druid        SC       Inner Cloister          11
    kstuart         Buffy          Paladin      SC       Cold Plains             5

Garruk the Rabies Wolf, lvl 19, Inner Cloister, Saving up Fulminating Potions for Andariel