Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Tournament-Like game (in game free-for-all from level 1)

Discussion in 'MP Forum' started by Jossos, Feb 24, 2013. | Replies: 23 | Views: 7394

1. Jossos

Jossos IncGamers Member

I'm not sure how many people may like this idea, but since I found this forum, I made a few friends and played this out, and they seemed to like it (despite me winning :p) and I really enjoy it.

Players create a new character - untwinked of course - and all join the same game

Rather than all party up, everyone splits into either teams or no party at all - i guess this would be decided prior to starting.

No one leaves the town until the host says "GO!" after making sure everyone is ready of course.

From here, everyone just has to level as much as they can, and try to get the good kills/drops. Some will do den, some may not.

Once players hit level 9+, they MUST hostile all other level 9+ players - at this low level it's really hard to kill anyone, so dont be too worried about it.

The game is played until one person/team is so obviously in the lead that the other team surrenders. This can often end in act 1 (and for the 3 times I've played it, it has, with me usually 3-5 levels ahead. I'm so sorry curtis<3), but I don't see why this could not go on after act 2. The players might take a break after killing andariel, and resume in act 2 after a break of a few hours or a week. idk whatever u like.

So far, I've only played 3 of these kind of games, 2 of which were simply 1v1's, and the other a 1v1v1. I'd love to see how a team game like this would go.

This kind of game is so fun! Atleast for the times I played it. It really makes u manage your potions, think about nabbing certain items to deprive other players, and those early yellows are so precious!

I just wanted to make this thread to see if anyone was interested, Softcore or Hardcore, either way works (I never die anyway :p)

Let me know what you think.
  2. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

I'm up for this sometime. All those interested should post a few days/times that they would be willing to try.
  3. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

This is a pretty funny idea. I don't think I'll do it, but it sounds cool.

You really couldn't go to act 2 because only the person killing Andy would actually get the quest.
  4. Jossos

Jossos IncGamers Member

Is that how it works? thought if u were in killing distance u got the quest. If not, then I guess the player who didnt get it could do andy seperately, and in that time the other player could run anywhere in a1.
  5. Gripphon

Gripphon IncGamers Member

Sounds fine until someone kills Andariel. What is with all other players then?

Even if players gets quest if in kill range, other players might be left behind without Andy quest and that might be a problem. Or other teams, depending on how this will be played.

One solution might be that after one player kills Andariel, in a new created game he can farm and go further in act 2 while all players team up together to kill Andariel and go into act 2. When I say team up, then I mean they must go to kill her as fast as they can in a party, because otherwise player 1 might have too much advantage.

Second solution is other players team up together to kill Andariel and all get quest while first player farm somewhere in act 1. After all players have Andariel quest, they proceed into act 2. This might melt first players advantage since they'll all start from same point with probably different level, but might keep game going much longer.

Third solution is to play the game until someone kills Andariel :p

Now lets wait other suggestions. My suggestions are just to make the game more interesting and more competitive, and not that is game over after one guy kill Andariel cause someone else is not even close to that.
    I don't know will I participate. Also I like teams idea.
  6. Jossos

Jossos IncGamers Member

I said exactly this in the post above yours. I can imagine the advantage of killing andy, and running areas in a1 while others catch up - example: Running countess to get stealth/leaf runewords ;) if you're still lvl 12-15 you can still get good xp from this aswell.
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  7. FredOfErik

FredOfErik IncGamers Member

I might be interested, but a bit more clear rules (for e.g. andy) wouldn't hurt.
  8. Gripphon

Gripphon IncGamers Member

@ Jossos
    You don't need to quote my large post, just write "@ Gripphon" and I'll know you are talking to me anyway.

I added two more options than just one of yours mostly cause I like option 1 from my post, but also option 2 is fine.

Whatever rules might be, I hope to be balanced in a way this tournament could last for quite some time and even on hell, not only act 1 normal, that looks rather boring.
  9. FredOfErik

This, exactly.

Maybe after each act, team up to rush everybody through as fast as possible (no loot can be picked up) and then start new act? However, if we have to be hostile (which I like) I doubt it will go all the way to hell.
  10. Jossos

Jossos IncGamers Member

@Gripphon I think whoever's playing at the time should decide how to do it once it gets to that point, or maybe everyone can decide prior to leaving town. I think people actually playing are better to judge, especially since this really hasnt been done before.

Yea it's unlikely to get to hell imo. Unless we really had a large amount of people, could do a long-ish ladder type thing, where we do a bunch of 2v2's (or something like that) and then the winners vs each other in the next day or something.

Kinda like this: (Imagine the ones in bold are the winners)

Act I
    T1 vs T2 -- T3 vs T4 -- T5 vs T6 -- T7 vs T8 -- T9 vs T10 -- T11 vs T12 -- T13 vs T14 -- T15 vs T16

Act 2
    T1 vs T4 -------------- T5 vs T7 -------------- T9 vs T12 -------------- T13 vs T15

Act 3
    T4 vs T5 --------------------------------------- T9 vs T13

Act 4
    T4 vs T9

Congrats T4!!!

I doubt we'd ever get the players for this, but that would truly be a diablo 2 tournament-tournament.

And I mean, wouldn't you prize your winning char(s) and keep them with you forever? lol. With this, you could also stretch each vs match to 2 acts, or maybe 3 acts. So like, first round is Act 1 - 3, 2nd round is Act 4 - 1 nm, 3rd Round is Act 2 - 5 nm, Final Round, All of hell? If it's hardcore, people will definately be killed here.

Apart from that, I guess in just a standard game with like 3-5 people, you could decide how you want to do it when one person gets the boss kill in that act. I'm sure experience will give us the best rules. I am keen on the idea of the winner being able to run any act completed while the other(s) try to catch up with the quest.
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  11. coju

coju IncGamers Member

I like the idea! Similar ideas have been tossed around but never fruitioned.
  12. FredOfErik

Actually tempted to play again, huh?
  13. coju

coju IncGamers Member

Huh ?
  14. FredOfErik

Huh ?
  15. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

16. Jossos

Jossos IncGamers Member

hey folks, whoever wants to play a round of this, We can do one this Saturday/Friday evening. What is everyones timezone? I want to get a gyst of everyone who would like to play.

If you want to play, keep an eye on this thread. I'll post hamachi details if there seems to be enough interest (even just 4 players would rock!)
  17. coju

coju IncGamers Member

gmt -6 is the TZ
  18. FredOfErik

GMT+1 here
  19. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

gmt -5 here
  20. Jossos

Jossos IncGamers Member

Ok, I made a Hamachi group.
    Name: D2 Tourniers
    Pass: fs

I think the best idea would be to just join the group (unless I already have contact with you - don't waste hamachi space!) And when there's about 4 - 6 people (I have 6 listed as participating) we can play. It's likely to be a free for all, unless everyone wants teams (we shall discuss in game).

Time to play - I think it's best to meet up around 21-22 GMT-0 (calculate the time for yourself). For you guys around -6ish, this should be in the evening, and for me it will be morning. I do intend to launch with about 4 people. If we get more, all the better.

Make sure you have atleast 1-2 hours Free! this is how long these matches usually last. I say 1-2 because you may be eliminated ;)

Speaking of eliminated, throw your votes whether you want hardcore or softcore. I personally vote hardcore.