Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Tournament: Envious of the Green and Gold

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Morathi, Feb 21, 2013. | Replies: 589 | Views: 46995

1. Morathi

Morathi IncGamers Member

Well it has been awhile since my last tournament and considering things are quite around here, i think it is perfect time for another tournament by yours truly. I have decided to re-create a classic which is "The Green with Envy tournament" A tourney i hosted on 2 different occasions and combine it with a very old tournament in the S/U Item Worshippers Tourney, hosted originally by Jiansonz. So here we go!

Characters & Gameplay

• Your character must be HC although it if you cant you may go SC, but a SC death disqualifies the character from further participation.
    • If your character dies, you may re-enter with another character. There is no limit to this rule, you may re-enter as many times as you wish.
    • Players can use versions from 1.10+
    • Players can use any character class, any build, and assign stat and skill points as desired.
    • Re-specing is allowed if you wish to use it.
    • Any /players setting is allowed, and may be changed at will.
    • Any merc may be used.
    • Single pass only (no re running of act bosses and areas).
    • You may return to previous acts and difficulties, however you may not leave town (you may retrieve Wirts Leg for Cow level, please avoid killing if possible and no picking up loot).
    • Atma may be used as an extended stash.
    • Quests can be completed whenever you wish (ex. you may use the normal socket quest in NM).

Equipment Rules

• Your character must be Untwinked (no twinking of items, you must start with nothing).
    • Only S/U's (Set and Unique Items) may be equipped! White or grey items may be used until a S/U item is found for each slot (means no rings or amulets until a S/U item drops). After an appropriate S/U item has been found, you must use that item for that slot or go empty. If you are unable to equip it (ex. you don't have enough dex), then you must do your best to equip it (i.e reach the requirements as fast as possible). Once you find multiple appropriate S/U items for a specific slot (helm, armour etc), then you are able to decide which one you wish to wear.
    • S/U weapons you find can be used towards any of the three weapon slots (primary, switch, merc) at your choice. Once you find your third S/U weapon you must fill the last slot (it is your choice which slot that is!). If your merc cannot equip any of the three S/U weapons, he/she must go weaponless. If this is to occur you may do a couple things:
      * You may continue to use your current merc (who will be weaponless) and hope that an appropriate weapon drops.
      * Or, you may switch mercs and equip it with the third S/U weapon (if of course the merc can equip it, if not it must remain weaponless until an appropriate weapon drops).
    • Sockets may only be filled with emeralds/topaz's (no other gem allowed) and jewels with the green and yellow/gold graphics. Runes are not allowed to be filled into any socket.
    • All charms are allowed as with scrolls, potions, tomes etc.
    • Merc equipment must follow the same rules as your character (socketables and S/U items).
    • Quest items (e.g. Khalim’s Will) may be equipped temporarily only when necessary to complete quests. Quest rewards (Charsi, Anya) may not be equipped.
    • Gambling for S/U items is encouraged! :)

Signup + Updates
    This tournament starts now. Players may sign up at any time.
    The tournament will run until interest has been lost (no posts in 2 weeks). Please sign up using the table below. Please restrain from posting the table if it becomes too big (i.e alot of participants), as it uses up too much space and takes too much time. Just post your information at the bottom of your post. Like this:

Character name, build, act, difficulty, area level, No. of S/U's equipped (including Merc)

Code:
    Name        Character    Class         Area               Level    S/U's Equipped 
    ----------------------------------------- ----------------------------------
    Morathi     TBA          TBA           Act 1  Normal       1           0

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  2. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

Morathi, great iniative! Despite what I wrote in a PM to you, I have decided to join.

Going to try a combo that probably won´t be powerful, but not hopeless either: Immolation Arrow and Jab will be my main skills.

Haven't taken either of them into the endgame. Hopefully I will find at least some weapons that are compatible with these skills. I realize there may be a period where I'll be a plain melee Passive & Magic 'zon but at least the normal set bows are common enough to be almost guaranteed to drop in the first half of the quest if I run around with topazed armors/helms.

Hm, is it really worth it to spend 19 extra points in Jab to see the damage go from 85% weapon damage to 142% while the mana cost more than triples? I am sceptic. OK, so the AR gets a nice boost also, but still...maybe if I find a really big elite unique spear...

Code:
    Name        Character    Class         Area               Level    S/U's Equipped 
    ----------------------------------------- ----------------------------------
    Morathi     TBA          TBA           Act 1  Normal       1           0
    jiansonz    Martina      Amazon        Rogue Camp          1           0

Question: what socketables are we allowed to use in 'grey' items?
  3. felixbavaria

felixbavaria IncGamers Site Pal

Entering as a Fire Druid. Bowled everything to death up to and including the Countess.

Code:
    Name          Character    Class         Area               Level    S/U's Equipped 
    ------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------
    Morathi       TBA          TBA           Act 1  Normal       1           0
    jiansonz      Martina      Amazon        Rogue Camp          1           0
    felixbavaria  Alf          Druid         Black Marsh         16          0

I'm confused by this too, but I understand that any gems/jewels are allowed in grey items, but no runes.
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  4. jiansonz

That would be my guess also.
    This far, I have only used topazes in helm and a +2 max damage jewel in merc's bow. It's a green jewel.

Martina the Amazon has rescued Cain. Seven of her skill points went to Critical Strike (it's at 49% now). She has one point in Jab, Dodge, Avoid and Inner Sight and two in Slow Missiles. Saving the rest of the points for now. Main weapon is a Scepter (with Pilum on switch, for throwing).

She's found Arctic Furs and Hsaru's Iron Fist already. She wears the armor but will give it to the merc when I find another topaz. The shield is put away on the javelin switch because my regular Small Shield has better blocking.
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  5. Kitteh

Kitteh IncGamers Site Pal

Code:
    Name          Character    Class         Area               Level    S/U's Equipped 
    Kitteh        Karmak       Paladin       Rogue Camp	     1           0

Sounds like fun!
  6. SunsetVista

SunsetVista IncGamers Member

I'm currently time traveling and have a bunch of unfinished tournies already, so I probably won't play this one. Good luck all!
  7. Morathi

Morathi IncGamers Member

Welcome everyone :)

To clarify, greys can be socketed but must follow the rules stated in the OP, so only emeralds/topazs or jewels with green/gold graphics. If a s/U is to drop though, you must replace your gemmed armour for that S/U immediately!
  8. djmbbandie

djmbbandie IncGamers Member

]
    Code:
    Kitteh        Karmak       Paladin       Rogue Camp          1           0
    djmbbandie    Cassie       Amazon        Rogue Camp          1           0

In. Time to play my first Valkazon.

Cassie is headed next to the Stony Field. No Sets or Uniques, but lots of decent charms.
    She is using a normal javelin and a scepter on switch. The charms add lightning resist, fire resist as well as lightning and fire damage.
  9. Kitteh

Code:
    Kitteh        Briony       Assassin      Rogue Camp          1           0

Changed class as I already have an untwinked melee character just now.

Edit: Just to check, is it the same scoring system as the Green with Envy tournaments, or a no score tournament? :)
  10. Morathi

Morathi IncGamers Member

Decided to go with no scoring system. I feel the scoring system was an old tool used when there was heaps of participants in a tourney. I don't feel tournaments now a day needs them as the SPF community is less active than in the old days. Plus keeps it simple :).
  11. Kitteh

Good idea, thanks for clearing it up :)

I'm choosing to do full clears (with an extended stash, although if I deeds, I may try again without one), is anybody else working with non-required restrictions?
  12. Grisu

Grisu IncGamers Member

Ah...what the heck. Not enough time, alread too much tourney charactes running, but this looks enjoyable :)

Introducing Meronym - after jiansonz's endless praises of a Phoenix Striker, I intend her to be one once she reaches level 30. Phoenix Strike can be used with normal weapons, right?

And yes, the character's name is shamlessly stolen from Cloud Atlas, but the idea of a reborn lady for a Phoenix Striker seemed fitting :)

Code:
    Kitteh        Briony       Assassin      Rogue Camp          1           0
    Grisu         Meronym      Assassin      Rogue Camp          1           0

13. Kitteh

I dread to think how many daggers I've gambled... Also, a 3/2 head and a 2/2 wand. Perhaps the D2 gods are confused as to my class and build? :scratchhead:
  14. felixbavaria

Thanks for clarifying the OP. My druid had a sapphire in his scepter, guess that disqualifies him. Oh well.
  15. jiansonz

Yep, the only things that do not work are bows, crossbows, throwing potions or being weaponless.
    (FoF, CoT and BoI can be used without a weapon, though)
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  16. felixbavaria

So if we find the first S/U armour, we can put it on the merc and keep a grey one, right? Don't want to restart another time :)
  17. djmbbandie

djmbbandie IncGamers Member

Cassie is now also in the Black Marsh. She's headed for the Highlands next. She put two chipped emeralds into a scepter and three chipped emeralds into a hunter's bow for her fire merc Ithera. She found her first set item in the Underground Passage level 2 chest (Arctic Furs +305 ED) given to Ithera. She's wearing a chipped topazes socketed skull cap and a chipped topazes socketed leather armor. She's really close to level 17.
  18. Morathi

Morathi IncGamers Member

Yes that is right, you may choose to either equip your first S/U Armor/helm/weapon (if applicable) on your own character or your merc. Once you find your 2nd S/U then your character must equip it straight away. The idea is once a S/U drops your goal is to equip it on your character/merc in the swiftest fashion possible.
  19. Jason Maher

Jason Maher IncGamers Member

As throroughly sick as I am of the single pass restriction in every tourney (I don't see the point of it for most of them), I'll join in on this one. Will copy the table once I've figured out what character I'll be playing.
  20. Kitteh

If it wasn't single pass, item restrictions wouldn't be as restrictive because you could just grind the gear.

Code:
    Kitteh        Briony       Assassin      Inner Cloister      18          2
    Grisu         Meronym      Assassin      Rogue Camp          1           0