Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Top 10 Fixes That Need To Be Made to Diablo 3

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Community Forum' started by mysticc, Jan 2, 2013. | Replies: 37 | Views: 4150

1. mysticc

mysticc IncGamers Member

Hey everyone!

To kick off 2013, Sibcoe and I made a show where we go through the top 10 things we'd change to Diablo 3 so that it doesn't fail like it currently does.

Be sure to check it out ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsh00x1nqAM

Be sure to let us know what you think!
  2. Chaosmage

Chaosmage IncGamers Member

PoE doesn't have bind on equip items does it? Cuz that would be the only thing on your list not in it.
  3. mysticc

mysticc IncGamers Member

Yeah, I'm not sure. I don't really play PoE. Sibcoe plays it a lot more than I do.
  4. Greizer

Greizer IncGamers Member

Could you briefly list the points here? I don't have an hour to watch *any* YouTube video, much less one about D3.
  5. mysticc

mysticc IncGamers Member

Shoot, I deleted the list after we did the show. I'd watch the show to get more info because I probably won't go into much detail with this list.

From memory, we had 6 honorable mentions:

- increase base movement speed to what 24% is now.
    - ability to level up abilities/skills (yeah right)
    - give a reason to group with players (more loot, more mf, more mob density, etc.)
    - add more randomness (but take out stupid randomness)
    - increase mob density in act 1/2. Give us reason to go to act 4
    - fix the broken wizard class

The Top 10 list

10) give us a pvp system where we define the rules, rewards. Stop wasting 7+ months trying to design the perfect pvp system. let us just pvp and we'll build a system that comes out of it organically. Make use of ptr for pvp.

9) improve drop rates OR stop creating garbage items for garbage sake (i.e. tighten up properties, etc.)

8) cut the length of the journey to paragon 100 by 1/2 or 2/3. Or change how magic find works. And some other things we said.

7) add genuine gold sinks to the game (enchantments, socketing, buffs, etc.). Remove 15% tax bull****.

6) add more game modes - ladders, classic mode, etc.

5) improve itemization - have 15-30 legendaries per item slot that are designed around builds, uses for white items, magic items, more socketables like 20 different gems and random jewels, create healthy ecosystem of gems and depower emeralds.

4) add a crafting system that allows players to create items that don't drop and also incentivizes the destruction of items

3) add bind on equip

2) gives us something to do other than farming

1) blizzard needs to listen, interact and be honest with the community
  6. spiffymcbang

spiffymcbang D3 Trade Moderator<br> America, USEast (D2)<br> Ne

My top 10 list:

1. More options to get gear you need/want to play the game (as opposed to just lucky drops. Add Runes, missing some res all, get a charm or diamond for shield, missing some armor value, add it by crafting. Not just grinding for 100 hours for more gold to buy the one stat you need on the AH.)
    2. Better items. (more varity or as above more options in the items)
    3. Better crafting (I think this falls into more options)
    4. More and better maps (again more options)
    5. Better odds for unlucky folks to to get drops that are useful. (my most recent hardcore walk thru - 2 legendaries, they both sucked so if the game is going to drop legendaries make it more frequent OR more useful. again more options)
    6. More options in the area of skill selections. (we know the best ones, make them all useful)
    7. More options for white items. (or just an option, why is there even superior white armor in the game? really who uses that)
    8. More options for how damage is calculated and added up, not just based on weapon damage, crit and AS. Varity baby.
    9. Bigger stash and/or more character slots.
    10. More options. Make the AH secondary to the items system, not primary. Design the game so that you can play without it and using the AH to just suppliment where you might have a weakness. As it stands now I geared my SC barb for infernot completely off the AH. That to me seems wrong for basic game play. I should be able to find most of what I need/want in the game.

I did not watch the video so if I repeated anything sorry.

11. Did I say more options.
  7. mysticc

mysticc IncGamers Member

I think there are 40 or 50 things that could be improved with the game, so it's hard to pick the top 10. For example, I'd love to see purple monsters actually have a point in the game, but it's not really that relevant. I'd love more character slots too, but to be honest, I'm not even done maxing out 1 character, let alone 10. I only have all 5 characters to 60, but most are not geared past 100k dps.

So, I tried to focus on things that would have the largest impact on correcting the game for the long-term. The more impact it had, the higher it was on the list.

I think this show goes into a lot of detail, and I think you'll find that we covered a lot of the stuff on your list ;)

Also, our other videos go into a lot of detail about each particular area of the game. We have shows on itemization, economy, leveling, etc.
  8. Dogbert

Dogbert IncGamers Member

All good suggestions as usual by Sibcoe/Ken but then again suggestions that have been echoed since beta stage of the game to no avail.
    I have to say i DO admire your patience trying to make the game better but i think a better course of action would be to just leave d3 like me and many others have done.

If blizzard would see people are leaving for other games like poe/tl2 and population decreasing by a substantial amount they would HAVE to do something. They just aren't listening now because people are stubborn enough to keep playing this game and hoping "maybe next month the entire item system will be revised" or "maybe next month we get pvp" like it hasn't been 8 months already..

Sometimes you have to resort to more drastical measures or nothing will ever change.

By the way is the wizard cookie cutter build still the facetank freeze build?
  9. mysticc

mysticc IncGamers Member

I don't play the game though. I haven't played in 1.5 months at least.

And yeah, people are still playing that wizard build. If your gear is good enough, the nerf to it doesn't matter.
  10. bluejays

bluejays IncGamers Member

PoE literally has EVERY thing on that list in game (minus bind on equip - which I am happy about). This dev team works at a snails pace so maybee by 2015 will these things be fixed.
  11. mysticc

mysticc IncGamers Member

My biggest problem with PoE is that it's really slow to get into. Like, the first hour of the game was boring and slow. I much prefer the first hour of Torchlight 2. Because of this, I have to admit, I never gave the game a chance. Every time I try and play, I want to exit and do something else.

I know the game does get better and it does speed up, but I'm just too damn impatient and I have stuff to do. IMO, Torchlight 2 had a great initial hour of gameplay to ease you in and get you ramped up for more.
  12. Dogbert

Dogbert IncGamers Member

The start is a bit slow in Poe but it gets better. I know the feeling. Just give it a chance i'm sure you won't be disappointed :)
  13. mysticc

mysticc IncGamers Member

I don't have time to play. I don't play any games really these days. It's been at least a month.

I only do the shows because it gets some ideas out there, but even then, everywhere else on the internet all people do is complain. Contrary to popular belief, I don't get paid anything.

"The video is too long. I refuse to watch it"

"The video is too short. I refuse to watch it"

"All you do is complain and don't offer anything constructive"

"You're just scamming to get views."

"You're evil for self-promoting."

"You fail"

"You suck"

"You're wrong, and no logic or reason will make you right. I don't have to use reason to be right, I just am."

Blah blah blah.

I don't even think it's worth it anymore. It's not like the shows really matter, and I don't get anything out of it except lots of flack.

Blizzard sure as hell isn't listening either, so I don't really know who I'm trying to convince other than the minority of people that actually make use of their brains and come to similar conclusions I do.
  14. Ivan E

Ivan E IncGamers Member

Does PoE ever overcome the feeling that you're playing through a tub of molasses? And does it ever advance beyond "hold down right click / left click to win?"

I'm asking out of genuine curiosity, because I played it for a couple of hours and those were pretty much the impressions I got. The gem system was relatively interesting, but it didn't seem like it had a real purpose because you could thrash the enemies with the same slowly-animating attack -- it didn't seem to matter which such attack you chose.
  15. mysticc

mysticc IncGamers Member

I can't speak for how the game plays later, but I pretty much thought the same thing. They really need to improve base movement speed and base attack speed. And I think they need to allow the player to ramp into stuff a little quicker.
  16. PearlJamaholic

PearlJamaholic IncGamers Member

i think the thing they need to fix is their attitude. they need to drop telling us what fun is. when they have an idea they should flesh it out to the best of their ability and and let us take a crack at it. did they really think crafting was fun? if so they missed the mark with that one cause no one else does. i guess what im saying is sometimes when youre too close to a project it drains it for the workers so they no longer can have a unbiased opinion.

a personal example, i work at a golf course, i hate it and i cant see how anyone could find the game fun. but people do and they pay good money, i work at a private course they pay more to play a year then i make in a year, but there are guys that are almost daily during parts of the summer. the thing is i know that course better than them. ive been over it and from every angle countless times. so obviously just because i know that course better than the players am i right to say this place isnt any fun to play? at this point i see it so differently then they do.

thats the problem with blizzard lately they cant just get their hands off and say we did our best possible work and let the players decide what is fun. they are being over critical of their work and that is just as damaging as not being critical at all. the end result is you have no faith in the work you do...
  17. Dogbert

Dogbert IncGamers Member

Please keep doing the shows mysticc. I watch every one of them. You can't just leave Sibcoe. It's not gonna be the same without you.
    The show must go on! Ignore the haters. Look at the positive feedback instead.

Don't be too hard on Poe. The game is not even open beta yet. There are only two acts playable of the four they have planned. Give it the time it needs. It has potential. Just like diablo 3 has.
  18. mysticc

mysticc IncGamers Member

Nah, I'm done.
  19. Kiroptus

Kiroptus IncGamers Member

You gave some very useful input but again, this whole Diablo 3 fiasco has made our community crumble apart, it was too much of a hit to wait for a decade for something so passable and devoid of soul as D3.

Its really sad, we had great columnists, entertaining articles, amazing guides, we had good people who were planning to dedicate themselves to D3 for some great input, such as ForceStrategy gamming and you too, but everyone is just too bitter after all this, I cant blame them, D3 was a heartbreaking experience and blizzard should be ashamed of what they did.

If you feel its not worth your time anymore, I dont think anyone can argue against that, in my opinion, your great input can truly be appreciated somewhere else because here you will only find bitterness. There are great games around, I also wished I could still be playing this new diablo title after a decade but hey, this wasnt what blizzard intended. This is a depressing place now, it used to be a great community.
  20. Speedster

Speedster IncGamers Member

I'm ~700 hours into D3 and I'm not sure I agree with all of this.

10. Never bothered with PvP so I don't really miss it but your idea sounds good.

9. The big challenge in items is keeping the good ones rare enough that they're a significant find. Most rares are useless, but if your character is geared up that's kind of how it should be. The main reason D2 failed to keep me was that at some point everyone had Infinity, Griffons, etc. I suppose they could lower the number of drops, but in a randomized item generator you'd want a bigger pool of items.

8. Strongly disagree. D2 basically made levels 97-99 almost unattainable, so there was always some increment of achievement left, if you were insane enough to go for it. The whole purpose of paragon is have a goal out there.

7. I suppose, though I probably haven't found enough gold over the last six months to get a perfect Witching Hour, Chantodos, etc., so I think the gold sink "problem" isn't as widespread as you think.

6. Ladder was a sort of Band-Aid in D2 to keep people playing long after there was any new content. I.e., go out and acquire all the same stuff all over again as fast as you can. I don't miss it, in large part because it's too easy for bots to race to the top while some of us have to work and sleep.

5. Interesting -- items tailored to "builds" would be a nice idea, although they already have skill-specific items that do a lot of this.

4. Nice add. Crafting as it stands isn't anything special.

3. Not sure what you mean...

2. These games seem to come down to item acquisition or leveling. Again, having played D2 for 8 years, it seems like more of the same with better combat and graphics added on.

1. I paid $60 for the game last May, and Blizzard seems to keep pushing out free patches whilst charging me no monthly fee to play, so while I'm sure they could do better I think they've made some great upgrades to the game. Legendaries actually can be legendary, paragon made long-term characters meaningful, etc. There is still room for improvement, but continual updates seem to be par for the course these days, in gaming and almost any other software.

I would like to see more mob density, though. The pace of the game is spot on perfect in the Heart of Sin quest in A3, then tapers off in A4 until the homestretch.

Also would be nice if they made the base pickup radious more than zero, and increased the default movement rate. But, overall, 1.0.5 addressed most of my wish list.