Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Too weak for Hell, Now what?

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by jatna, Mar 5, 2013. | Replies: 17 | Views: 4324

1. jatna

jatna IncGamers Member

My friend and I just finished nightmare. Act 5 was hard but we did ok. We went into hell and got our butts kicked on the first board. My question is what should we do now? It seems like a lot of the best treasure and runes are only in hell.
  2. Archone

Archone IncGamers Member

..but alot of nice items can be found in NM! Farm NM until you can farm hell. Thats the way to go! ;)

Peace
  3. Dawnmaster

Dawnmaster IncGamers Member

What exactly are your builds (class/skills)?
    What items do you use?
    What are your stats (life/resistances)?

Maybe you only have to fix a few of these to get going?
  4. jatna

jatna IncGamers Member

I think the resistances are the problem. I am going to try to make smoke armor to up them.

I am playing a FB/FO Sorc and I have a rhyme shield and an insight on my merc.
  5. Dawnmaster

PM me if you're on EUSCL, I'm sure I have a Lum rune lying around for you :thumbsup:
  6. jatna

jatna IncGamers Member

Thanks Dawnmaster but I found a lum last night. I just need to find really good armor to stick it in.
  7. Fizoo

Fizoo IncGamers Member

+6-+7% rest small charms can be found in early a1 normal. Good way to get an early boost
  8. Vivi

Vivi IncGamers Member

Suffer. That's what my sorceress does. ;)

Seriously, the guys here have good tips.
  9. Dawnmaster

Actually, my sorc uses Energy Shield, she can survive a lot more than you'd think, just don't let mana burn bosspacks close in on you, and keep antidotes in your belt :thumbsup:
  10. Vivi

Vivi IncGamers Member

Yeah. I do all that, but it's no use in dungeons when creatures close in on you. Makes my sorceress weep in a corner but only for a second as then she dies of course.
  11. Dawnmaster

2 words: "strategic teleport" ;)

And ofcourse, always keep your guard up, kill creatures before they get too close and use your mercenary as bait.
  12. Vivi

Vivi IncGamers Member

I've before tried to teleport through walls. This either landed me into another fight or just brickwork.
    My guard is up.
    Point 2 is a bit of an issue. I can't kill them quickly enough, they're just not complying.
    My merc is pathetic, runs off at the first sign of danger. Great.
  13. Dawnmaster

I use FrozenOrb attack, which slows down all non cold imuuns, secondary attack chain lightning to finish off cold imuun mobs that are all over my merc ^^
    The basic Hell strategy is simply, teleport, cast attack and quick walk in the opposite direction so your merc "blocks" their path to you by taunt.
    If your merc is taking toomuch damage, teleport a step back and repeat the process from thereon while healing your merc.
    Normal and Nightmare barely do any damage and have virtually no cold imuuns, so Frozen Orb usually finishes off anything before it gets near me.

I don't know of anyone playing like I do, and most people wouldn't like/approve/use easier/better way, but I get along just fine, so I stick with it.
  14. Archone

Archone IncGamers Member

I usually do the same, but use Meteor instead of Ch.Lightning. Or maybe even Fireball.

Peace
  15. Erfel

Erfel IncGamers Member

I think you should rely more on your merc.
    What's the base of his insight? And what about its armor and helm?
  16. Xuhao

Xuhao IncGamers Member

grind nightmare for tradeables (perfect gems, skulls, etc)
    - NM countes givs u runes u can trade, like spirit packs. Besides nm andy can drop a SoJ if ur lucky

read item guides specific for your build
    trade your grindings for the items listed in those builds

IMO this game is pretty complexed when it comes down to the "game rules". You cant really boil it down to an easy explanation.
    If you want to become stronger, you need the gear that makes you reach the breakpoints and stats that makes your build effective.
    I wont try to explain how it works since other members know far far more about this game than i do.

Finding a good guide and following it has worked very well for me. Trading has been the key to getting geared for finishing hell and running ubers.
  17. Dawnmaster

In the end, it's also very important never to lose sight of your primary objective: you have to have fun playing the game.

If all this talk about trading/breakpoints/etc is getting toomuch, just pick one, ignore the rest for now, and enjoy the challenge of completing the game yourself.

Best overall advice would still be Archone's first reply, farm nightmare for a few more levels until you find some more suitable gear (possibly switching certain items for others with more magic find), my best advice on top of that would be to try and find a balance between protecting yourself (resistances/defense/life) but still have sufficient kill power/speed (weapon/skill allocations)
  18. jatna

jatna IncGamers Member

Thanks for the advice. I am slowly getting there.