Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

To shield or not to shield

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Hardcore Forum' started by bikkel, Nov 19, 2012. | Replies: 5 | Views: 973

1. bikkel

bikkel IncGamers Member

So that's the question fellow HC players.

Currently 60(13) with 30k dps and around 850AR when I have my buff up.
    http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Bik-2960/hero/19810946
    I'm farming act3 inferno on MP0.

Switched to Archon build and it's much faster! Did have some near death experience against phasebeast packs though. They are NASTY!

That's why I decided to put my Oculus in the stash and replace it with a SHIELD.

Cost me around 18K dps, but I gained 27%blockchance and 150AR or so, along with some armor.

How do you feel about using a shield and what is your experience?

My opinion: your DPS is ZERO when your dead. Might as well play it safe.
  2. DZJB

DZJB IncGamers Member

Coming from a player who only has SC experience with an Archon build, I'd go with a shield in HC. Unless you'd had 70k+ HP, some more DPS and life steal, then I'd might reconsider. Speaking of which, have you tried Blood Magic instead of Force Weapon for some life steal instead of LoH?

I'd personally also feel safer running with this build in HC if I had enough DPS to quickly kill everything without Sparkflint. Right now you only have Diamond Skin as protection when not in Archon form. I'd feel safer with Teleport as well. But in your situation I'd use Sparkflint too.
  3. bikkel

bikkel IncGamers Member

Haven't tried blood magic yet. But is there no penalty on inferno for lifesteal? Might be nice otherwise.

About the teleport, you are absolutely right. But I really need this damage. With the shield I hope to be tough enough to withstand packs. If not, I will switch to teleport to be safer.

Thanks for this feedback, really usefull. +1
  4. bikkel

bikkel IncGamers Member

So I played with the shield yesterday... IM NEVER GOING BACK! I am so tough now :)

Ownage.
  5. Arirmind

Arirmind IncGamers Member

That is reassuring. I have been scrolling some oculus on AH and wondering if i should switch my shield for it.

How much dps you have with the shield? 30k? I`m wondering when it would be safe for me to switch from blizz-hydra to archon build. Could you give me a quick skill-rundown for your archon build as well?

EDIT: Also what kind of shield you are using? I have 2 options and basicly pondering between more all resist and high bonus armor mode or 7,5 crit chance with less armor and res. Is crit chance must for all wizard shield?
  6. bikkel

bikkel IncGamers Member

Check out my profile in the above post for details.

My dps is 35k, which is 70k in archon because of the 200 percent weapon damage. My damage is high enough for act3 inferno MP0.

With oculus its 50k.