Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

+ to Off. Auras or Combat Skills GC's?

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Extacide, Mar 28, 2006. | Replies: 10 | Views: 2320

1. Extacide

Extacide IncGamers Member

+ to Off. Auras or Combat Skills GC's?

Well, I have a hammerdin build paladin and recently have been coming across some nice items, and have been looking into trading for + to skills Grand Charms. Straight to the point, whats better: + to Off Auras or Combat Skills? My Paladin aims for pure hammer damage. Hes pretty flexible however, if anyone recommends going for the + combat skills for the holy shield and hammers, im willing to bend, however im aiming more for the damage.

2. dkay

dkay IncGamers Member

cmbats are good because they add much more damage ( for my hdin, every 2 offensive = 1 combat damage wise)

but my own hdin uses 4 offensive and 2 combats because the offensives are 40+ life and i dont want to buy 40+ combats haha.

best benefit from using offensive is giving barb/bowzon/smiter the sexiest aura damage ever. my conc level is 42.

3. danpal

danpal IncGamers Member

Re: + to Off. Auras or Combat Skills GC's?

old post bump but perfect to add my question... so does this mean that an offensive aura gc will help out my merc more than a combat gc?

4. Namtar

Namtar IncGamers Member

If you are using an offensive aura, the +skill to that aura from a charm will increase the level of that aura. If the aura is one that helps your merc (Might, Concentration, Fanatacism, Conviction, Thorns, Blessed Aim) then the answer is yes.

5. danpal

danpal IncGamers Member

k thanks, I have concentration on almost all the time, so I guess it will help both me and my merc.... I wonder if the help it is giving us is better than if I had a combat gc instead just helping me

6. Namtar

Namtar IncGamers Member

Well, that's probably not the case. There are formulae you could use to figure out the exact difference, but generally, the increase in damage per Hammer is greater for the combat skills GC than for the offensive auras GC. The combat skills GC could also make the mana cost of Blessed Hammer go up, but not by enough to matter.

The combat skills GC would also improve Holy Shield by a bit.

The offensive auras GC would help your merc more and the stronger aura would also benefit party members, if you happen to have any.

If it's just a contest for raw Blessed Hammer damage, the increase from the combat skills GC is greater than the increase from the offensive auras GC. The exact difference in damage depends on the levels of your Blessed Hammer and Concentration.

7. jeffy

jeffy IncGamers Member

I'd argue that plain Offensives aren't even worth the room in the inventory if you play solo.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  8. Namtar

Namtar IncGamers Member

My hammerdin has a level 40 Blessed Hammer with maxed synergies and a level 38 Concentration. I wouldn't bother clogging my inventory with one more point into Concentration, but I also wouldn't bother clogging my inventory with one more point into Blessed Hammer and Holy Shield.

9. danpal

danpal IncGamers Member

so what do you clog your inventory with? 7mfsc's ?

10. Namtar

Namtar IncGamers Member

No, I leave part of it open so that I can pick up items while playing.

11. Psychonautical

Psychonautical IncGamers Member

This is a good question, and one that can easily be answered with the following key:

If you are a...

- Hammerdin
    - Smiter
    - Holy Shock Zealot with Dream, but you want higher physical damage and want to max Conviction
    - FoH'er and you max Conviction

... then use Combat GCs because not only do the skills get a better damage boost from being increased themselves, but you so indeed get a nice defensive and blocking bonus with Holy Shield, or in the Smiters' case, both.

If you are a...

- Holy Shock Zealot who uses Holy Shock and NOT Conviction with NO Dream
    - A Sacrifice Paladin
    - A pure physical Zealot
    - A Dream Paladin who does NOT wan to max Conviction with hard points

... then use Offensive GCs. When you are saving points in Conviction for something else, such as using Dream, but wanting to max Zeal, Sacrifice, Holy Shield, Resist Lightning, and have points for all the prerequisites, then you may only want a few points in Conviction, so the +~9 from charms help you hit slvl 25 without hard points.

The build that gets the MOST use out of Offensive GCs are physical Zealots. This is because after maxing Sacrifice and Zeal, adding Combat GCs will only increase Zeal's damage by 6%, while each additional point in Fanaticism nets a 17% increase instead, with a comparable attack rating bonus as well as the IAS (though IAS will be negligibly increased at that level.)

Of course, I'd like to point out that in that case, maximum damage charms will get you more damage than the percent from Fanaticism OR Zeal.

In your case, as a Hammerdin, you will get a much bigger boost from Combat GCs, though your merc is something to consider. Of course, doing magic damage and having 95% of monsters susceptible to your attack, which should already be pushing 11k with NO GCs, increasing your own damage by very little just to also increase your merc's by very little isn't worth it compared to a huge boost you'll get from Combat points. You SHOULD get an increase of about 1k if not more with every 2 Combat GCs, while it would take at least 3-4 Offensive GCs to get the same hammer damage. Doing so would only get a few hundred points at best for your merc.

For a personal example, I use a Hammerdin with NO Combat GC's and 2 Offensive GCs just because they have a nice life bonus. My merc uses a Guillaume's, Obedience Cryptic Axe and Fortitude Boneweave.

His MAX damage after Battle Orders with my lvl 33 Concentration is 13,285. If I take away ONE Offensive GC, it goes down to a max of 13,211, a ~70 difference.

My hammer damage with lvl 33 Concentration is 9083 (I traded my torch. Shut up.) With one GC removed, it becomes 8887.

So for each Offensive GC, I get about 195 Hammer damage and merc gets about 70 average Jab damage.

Combat GCs are the way to go. Unless you meet the criterion above, I'd stick with Pcombs all day.