Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Tips for Messing Around Post 60?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Hardcore Forum' started by Valeli, Oct 20, 2013. | Replies: 13 | Views: 1847

1. Valeli

Valeli IncGamers Member

Hey guys.

I've been off D3 a long while, but all the expansion news got me excited as it seems is the case for several others, so I hopped on and made a monk which I've quickly dragged up to 60(3), with the hope of trying some stuff I've never done before (never got around to whimsyshire for the lulz, or the infernal machine stuff), and of getting some paragon xp along the way.

I'm at a bit of a loss on what to do though. I see people talking about their 200k dps charachters in general chat as being awful, and I laugh quietly to myself (my monk's DPS is 16000 at the moment....) I don't mind running around and slowly grinding paragon xp since I'm having fun, but I'm worried I'll get bored of act one at some point. The real issue with that is that I'm worried I'll flub and die in act 2/3/4 since, like I said, my gear is pretty awful.

I'm not having a ton of luck farming up gold. I guess because I'm not using a gold-find set? But it seems really imprudent to me to abandon my solid gear for extra GF in hardcore. I've been able to grab some low end sixty stuff quite easily. I'm nicely set up defensively with a ton of hp, and (i think) decent resists. I have no problem at all in act 1 on MP0. I'd get a bunch more gold on MP3 or so, but I'm not convinced I can manage that safely (maybe I can, and I'm just freaked out?) I've seen scatered talk about farming Nightmare for gold - any sense in that?

Let me stop myself before I ramble more.

Questions:
    1) Any of you have any thoughts on how to /safely/ make gold for a new 60?
    2) Are there any fun events I could/should do besides whimsyshire and the infernal machine?
    3) What's a safe level of HP for a HC monk? I have just a bit under 60k, and I'm worried I might have a bit too much when I could slot in more offense..
    4) I'm under the impression it's more money efficient for someone super-poor like me to use the AH than fiddle with crafting. Is that about right?

Any other tips would be totally appreciated of course. I'd link my character, but forgot how (although I'd be happy to if someone can remind me). Basically I'm using the Healing ability, Serenity, Seven Sided Strike, and Mantra of X (typically evasion, sometimes the damage one). I'm using fists of thunder and the lashing tail kick as my other two abilities.

Passives are Beacon of Ytar, the Dex to Armor one, and Near Death Experience. I like Beacon of Ytar more than I'd expected. I feel that the 2 second here and there it's shaved off of cooldowns have saved me at least a few times. I kind of want to replace near death experience with one with everything or some such, but am 100% sure that the moment I drop that passive is the moment I finally need it.

Definitely not a min-maxed build, but I have a lot of fun with it. And it seems to at least be workable so far, if not optimal.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  2. ZappaFan

ZappaFan Hardcore Moderator and America Trade Moderator

Farm Act I on MP1 if you can do it comfortably, and don't go any higher MP unless, again, you can do it comfortably. I like to get 5 stacks at Leoric's Manner & then Festering woods to start. Then take the Cemetary of the Forsaken waypoint (where you can get an additional stack if you didn't get 5 up to this point) and go on up into Fields of Misery. The best experience in the game right now bar none is the Decaying Crypt that will sometimes spawn in Fields. It will spawn in the lower left or upper right section of that map. Do a general clear of Fields of Misery. After that Weeping Hollow is good for exp. If you want to make a longer run try Halls of Agony 2 & 3. If you want to keep your runs shorter I would recommend only doing Fields IF you get Decaying Crypt, or just doing Fields & Weeping Hollow if you do not get Decaying Crypt in Fields.

Until you get more Paragon under your belt there is absolutely no point in venturing any farther than Act 1 unless you are bored out of your mind. Act 1 is much safer than the subsequent acts, and is also the fastest experience in the game currently if you're playing MP1 or higher. There's no point in playing higher MP's unless you're playing in a group. Playing Solo the higher MP's give more experience but it takes longer to kill stuff and the extra time offsets the greater experience, and it's more dangerous. Ratchet up the MP as you get stronger. You'll get a little bit better drops at higher MP and Demonic Essence drop a little more often at higher MP, but again, neither of those are enough better to risk losing your toon over. Your best bet for upgrades is the new crafts that use demonic essence. You can get some pretty insane rolls on stuff. The Vita recipes are nice because you can end up getting useable stuff for other classes as well. But you're going to need to farm Act 1 a bit to get some Demonic Essence accumulated. Other than those recipes the AH is definitely your best bet for upgrades.

As far as farming gold, don't waste your time on gold find gear IMO. Farm Act 1 on MP1 if you can and hopefully you'll get some drops that you can sell on the AH. The thing people are doing in NM, is playing on high MP's and farming gear to sell to sub-60 players. You're not going to gain any experience doing that tho, IMO the time is better spent gaining paragon in Act 1 Inferno on MP1. If you kill the key warden in Fields every game you'll also accumulate some of his keys even playing on only Act 1 (1 in 10 runs should yield a key).

3. Grishok

Grishok IncGamers Member

Zappa has it right! Don't waste time picking up gold (it's not worth it but I still do it sometimes at paragon 64 :D ), focus on gaining paragon levels. Paragon levels = mf = items = gold. A1MP1 is the place to be until you feel confident to up the MP. 4-player games btw for the XP bonus.

4. Malaterre

Malaterre IncGamers Member

I am in the same situation and I have been selling materials (tome of secrets, gems...). You can have a few millions of gold in this way. Of course you won't be able to buy "real" gear with that amount of gold, but it can get you started. For example, you can buy some plans for gloves/spaulder/bracers/armor and craft a few of those. Even if you do not get really good craft it may still be an upgrade (due to the high value of the primary stat) when you have low quality gear. You can also buy a "reasonnable" weapon (1000 DPS and one or two interesting stats) at the AH with the money. That's how I am starting.

Playing in group is also interesting: it's more secure (well, except if you encounter PK) and you gain more loot due to the buff (10% per player) and the increased speed at which you kill monsters. At the moment, I ventured up to the beginning of Act III MP0, but I felt this was really not my place yet. The only place where I feel rather safe playing solo is act I MP0.

5. Valeli

Valeli IncGamers Member

Thanks for the advice guys.

So I've been plodding along a bit more and made it to 60(7) without dying. I took up the advice to try MP1 and I feel like I've been seeing more gold (which did help me get a "basic" starter set purchased, as did selling a bunch of tomes). At this point, any decent upgrade is several millions though; there seems to be a sudden and very large price jump. So it looks like finding items to sell (or use) is my best bet, as you guys suggested.

With that said, my focus should probably be on maxing xp?

I'm wondering if I want to stick to MP1, or if I'd be better off going to MP0 but replacing my hat's amethyst with a star ruby. I haven't felt /that/ overwhelmed in MP1, but some of the tougher affix/mob setups make me run away or give me a closer fight than I'd like. MP 0 was much easier, and if I understand right the XP between MP0 with a ruby in my hat and MP1 with an amethyst is about equivalent. It seems a good idea to me... unless I'd actually loose xp by killing faster? (ie: zombies and stuff wouldn't get a chance to keep being spawned before I killed the wretched mothers).

Thoughts?

For what it's worth, my DPS is about 20k now, but it doesn't look like it's going much higher any time soon. My HP with the amethyst in my hat is around 58,000. I'm not exactly sure what my resists are off-hand, but they're hovering around the higher side of the 500s, I think.

6. Grishok

Grishok IncGamers Member

Do MP1 if you can, much better exp and loot than MP0.

If you link your battlenet profile we can maybe give some specific pointers.

7. Aahzmadius

Aahzmadius IncGamers Member

The largest jump in difficulty in inferno is between Act 1 MP0 and Act 1 MP1. So you're right in the middle of that transition. If you're going to play MP0, you want to be in Act 3. You'll run into a lot more elites there, which means better items but more risk-and less overall XP than Act 1 on MP1.

I'm with Grishok on this one: slowly grind A1 at MP1. After a few runs you'll add 10k DPS and get more EHP. Craft shoulders, gloves, and bracers (you'll need tomes, so you might have to stop selling them for awhile). My preferred route is Leoric's Manor, Festering Woods, Fields of Misery, and then Weeping Hollow. Joining public games will make it go faster and provide some protection against disconnects. If you can't stand the thought of public games, add a few IncGamers to your friends list. I play regularly from 9PM to midnight eastern on the Americas server.

Happy hunting.

8. Malaterre

Malaterre IncGamers Member

Yes, this is also what I felt: the items that allow you to start inferno are quite cheap, but the prices for better quality items rise up very rapidly (ten millions at least). That's why I am trying the craft for gloves/spaulders/bracers. And hope to find something nice to sell (a fool's hope, perhaps ;-) ).

9. Grishok

Grishok IncGamers Member

Nah, we all started were you guys are now, it will come with some time. Just make sure that you don't die ;)

10. TheDarkSide

TheDarkSide Clan Officer - US East Hardcore

Don't get discouraged, Im always broke too , just found some Depth Diggers the other day that sold for 39 Mil after bnet taxes...

:jig:

11. TheDarkSide

added - but if you do - just restart - it happens to all of us !!!

12. TheDarkSide

Also forgot to add a few other things..

Salvage everything in Inferno that you don't sell because you will need crafting materials. I usually do a 2 -1 full stash salvage/sell ratio. U can get upwards of 2k or more gold for rares in inferno but Mats cost more so salvage more than u sell. Also don't bother trying to sell anything on the AH unless its decent low level gear, -requirements gear, or has close to or over 100 in main stat with Vita, and all resists, or crit hit chance and or crit hit damage.. Most people are looking for max stats gear at this point so not a lot of things are selling well. I sold a pair of VileWards for 1.5 Mil the other day and they used to go for 10-20 Mil a pop.. Crafts - IE shoulders, gloves, and bracers have the potential to be much better now....

13. Valeli

Valeli IncGamers Member

OK, thanks for your tips. I'll stick with Act 1 MP One for now if you think it's a good idea, since I rather enjoy act one.

I might just take you up on this too, in a little while. It's not that I can't stand public games, I used to play a ton of them back at launch and had fun. I just feel awkward jumping into a public game where I'm probably really not carrying my weight yet at this point (or when people want to do MP10 only or other silly things that would get me gibbed).

14. oOmpie

oOmpie IncGamers Member

Don't worry about it. Imho nobody should care too much about player DPS on MP1 and if they do just hop into another game.
    As long as you don't join Brawling games you can select the MP level you want to play on and thus will only end up in games of the MP level you selected.

I don't know if this has been brought up yet though... Be AWARE when you join pub games. Playerkilling does exist and it is usually done by low DPS high armor/vit/regen characters hoarding enemies on their location. Read Steven Hazami's guide here in the Hardcore Forum to get the basics covered, but most important is to simply check the profile of the player you intend to port to.
    And unless you are seriously outclassing the content and MP level never port to banners with combat signs.

It's better to get a full friend list in the end, since you will get to know the people and their playstyles, but pubbing is a great way to get the XP flowing. I play almost exclusively in pubs, since I'usually log in, check the AH real quick and play one game then log off and thus don't want to spend too much time waiting for friends to become available, etc.