Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Thoughts on the Diablo 3 open beta.

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Beta Forum' started by LucianDK, Apr 21, 2012. | Replies: 52 | Views: 6990

1. LucianDK

LucianDK IncGamers Member

Thoughts on the Diablo 3 open beta.

I am quite impressed with how the game have turned out, the gothic horror feeling I remember from D1 is back in spades. The sheer ambience and detail is staggering.

Ive tested the five classees to get an idea of how they play.

1: Barbarian. Very powerful feeling and sturdy. The skills are flashy and inspiring, got to love hammer of the ancients. Fury is a good resource, builds fast and encourages you to spend it fast before it fades. Imo the Barb is the clear winner.

2 Demonhunter. While it have the problem shared by all ranged classes, having a dependence on left click skills and forcing you to hold shift when left clicking, to not constantly run closer to the action if miss clicking or the foe dies and you keep attacking. It plays qute well, takes bit of time to empty your hatred orb and you feel like a stable and engaged class. The dual resource system works well, putting much less of an emphasis on having cooldowns. It is just awesome to have a ranged snare on no cd.

3: Monk. Plays ok, but feels quite unremarkable. Constantly sheates weapons to use fists for finishers on combo 3 attacks. Spirit doesnt feel like a good resource, generates too slowly and doesnt feel as powerful as fury or hatred when spent.

4: Wizard. Shares the problem with ranged, have nice spells but you will constantly be waiting for arcane power to regenerate. an annoying downtime on the class. It has a very hit and run feeling.

5: Witch doctor. Interesting, but suprisingly not very fun to play, pets dies fast and it have the ranged problem like the wiz and the demonhunter.

The big suprise here to me was the Demon Hunter, i had not expected it to feel so good to play. Though Barbarian is the 1 choice as I had expected before I ran the beta.
  2. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

Re: Thoughts on the Diablo 3 open beta.

Wut? Try using Shock Pulse with its rune unlock. It removes the "run" from the equation.
  3. Bad Ash

Bad Ash IncGamers Site Pal

yea arcane missle and shock pulse are both arcane power free.

I was fortunate enough to try beta on a friends account 2 months back, but today was first time I dove back in with a wizzy and finished. Just awesome. I think a real real plus is going to be the blacksmith. The account I played on had him fully maxed and I didnt appreciate the training, and crafting items is going to be like gambling but 10 times better.

Shock pule with the rune is bad *** btw, and I never used wave of force cause I didnt want to waste a skill slot on it, but used it today and it is FABULOUS. It was so much fun to run into the jondar quest event and blast the crap out of all of em
  4. The Lord of Darkness

The Lord of Darkness IncGamers Member

I finished a Barb earlier and the class does feel sturdy. Fun class without a doubt.

Just finished a Demon Hunter a little while ago. Very cool. I did have problems burning through hatred as I spammd multiple arrows that felt more like shooting a gun. This is my favorite class so far although Vault feels a little impracticle.

Next up Witch Doctor.
  5. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

WD felt surprisingly weak. Bats is hard to use for crowd clearing, Grasp of Eels is more CC than damage; so the WD basically has no good, reliable spammy AoE like the other classes I tried (Monk/Barb/Wizard).
  6. Felix

Felix IncGamers Member

I've played the WD and I think it was a really fun class. Been fooling around abit, but now with the zombie dogs and a runed poison dart and fire bats it's a good and fun class to play.
  7. Bad Ash

Bad Ash IncGamers Site Pal

WD was the only class I took to 13 cause I wanted firebomb...and I was sadly dissapointed by it. Think itll be a fun class though, but 1. Wiz 2. Barb 3. DH for sho
  8. sgtTenor

sgtTenor IncGamers Member

I'm sure many of these will pop but I'm liking the beta so far I have played all except DH

Monk: I tried the monk first since It's sort of a new class for the diablo universe. Liking his/her style Deadly reach is the go to skill for me right now. Don't normally play melee in ARPGs but I will definitely play 1.

Barb: Another melee class that I usually stay away from. He's strong probably seems the most balanced in play style. Rend is my favorite skill. Leap into the fray then use rend and you can clear mobs pretty easily.

WD" I was anticipating playing this class first but right now it's a bit lackluster. The pets (zombie dogs) die way too fast. I was hoping for a unique pet class since necromancer is not in D3. Right now Grasp of the dead is my preferred spell along with poison darts. Poison darts with it's rune is a pretty powerful skill. Works well with grasp of the dead and it's rune. I'm only level 8 and I've used the same skills that I got right from the start and level 2.

This brings me to my only gripe so far. Customization in the early part of leveling up. Since rune skills changed to being unlocked at certain levels, I feel like i'm being hand fed in how to play a class. I know the customization will be amazing when we have more skills and runes to work with but right now, There is no real uniqueness in what type of build I can play in the early levels.
  9. The Lord of Darkness

I just finished the Monk and I was completely wrong about this class. I hated it when it was announced. This class is bad to the bone. Complete crowd control Jackie Chan destruction. A little on the fragile side, could be the way I was playing it but he was an efficient killer with mobs sounding him. I'm very impressed with this class.

Now on to the WD since I'm doing the classed in order.
  10. Solomon Wreath

Solomon Wreath Banned

thoughts? I hardly got any since the latency is absolutely horrible, I try to fire a Magic Missile and it hits its target 10-20 seconds later, and monsters keep teleporting all around me. other than that, the DarkD3 filter works fine.

if this is how it's gonna be everytime I play D3, I might as well cancel my CE preorder. this is exactly why I avoid playing online like the plague.
  11. sgtTenor

sgtTenor IncGamers Member

Most likely stress on the servers so many playing the beta. I have the same things happen but it's erratic. Sometimes it's smooth others it's not.

I had my doubts on the DH. They are actually fun. Although I'm going through mobs like butter especially when you put decent items in the stash and have those 10.2 attack. I thought zombie dogs and spider jars were terrible until I got a decent 11.2 attack at level 6. The damage is actually noticeable.

12. Solomon Wreath

Solomon Wreath Banned

well obviously the stress test is an utter fail. and they don't even have all the slots open yet. imagine what the gameplay will be like when they do. it will be like viewing through a 50 year old webcam, 1 frame per 30 seconds. not to mention the full game, there's gonna be even more people playing that.

and Sarge I think you mean WD, not DH
  13. yovargas

yovargas IncGamers Member

Huh. I felt the opposite - the WD felt the strongest of all of them to me. Spiders, GotD, and Bats wrecked all faces.

14. The Lord of Darkness

Well finished off the WD and lets hope this class has has better skills at higher levels because the skills this class has in beta completely sucks. The only positive is that the fight with the Skeleton King made me actually use tactics (after dying for the first time) instead of a full blown bullrush. Still the skills suck.

Edit:
    The previous post did remind me of something, the fire bats is pretty sweet but it chews through mana fast. The rest of the skills I can live without.
  15. Lcypher

Lcypher IncGamers Member

well, i only played barbarian so far, and I want to apologize to Jay Wilson and Blizzard for lack of faith, i'm sorry, i was wrong...or maybe im just over 30;) the game is epic
  16. jamesL

jamesL IncGamers Member

I'm surprised that everyone is saying the zombie dogs die too fast

I cast Grasp of the Dead to slow things down, my dogs attack, and I shoot poison darts like a machine gun.
    And I found it the easiest class to play.
    I thought spiders, horrify and firebats were completely useless. Didn't like Soul Harvest either.

Tried Demon Hunter after finishing the Witch Doctor, but shooting arrows felt exactly like shooting poison darts, and I was tired of that.

the WD turned out to be much better than I expected, and the Wizard turned out to be more boring than expected.
  17. TarnishedHope

TarnishedHope IncGamers Member

Really. Ambiance?

There might be some if my Demon Hunter would just shut up once in a while. The dialogues, the retcons, the stupid remarks my guy keep making...

I miss when my guy stays quiet. You know. Back in Diablo 1 and 2.

18. aerial

aerial IncGamers Member

I'm reading some other non "diablo fansite" forums, and quite a lot of people seems to not like d3 after trying beta, many even cancelled preorder (at least what they say). They give many reasons, most common is the art style (too colorful, fairytale ect.), some say maybe they got too old that diablo is no longer fun. It is quite surprising to see so much negative opinions, after only following diablo sites, where most people seems to be pleased.
  19. Solomon Wreath

Solomon Wreath Banned

DarkD3 is their solution. it's perfectly safe, tried it with the beta earlier and toggleable with the Pause/Break key

http://darkd3.com/

as for the others being too old, then I guess they got no business posting in a D3 fan forum. send them back to MXL lol. but still I understand where they're coming from. I played D2 when I was a teenager. now we're under a month away from D3, and I'm 27 years old.
    people losing interest is definitely down to the gap between Diablo-related releases, as well as the gap between initial announcement and release. when I first found out about D3 in October 08, I was excited as hell, I thought this was gonna be my new fav game of all time. now it's almost 4 years later and I don't feel excited at all. it's gonna take alot more than stupid podcasts, uber-lame site gimmicks with crappy banners for exclusive content and Cain's Book to arouse people's excitement again.

put that down to Blizzard taking this out, redoing this re-iterating that, taking that out as well, and that, and that, and change this and redo that......people have lost faith and interest. what did you expect? no offline play is also a huge dent in Diablo's armor, and the open beta proved that more than anything else. Blizzard has a crap maintenance MO and people don't trust it. and there are those that indeed hate the artistic direction. and many of them are right. it's not the same company that made D1/2.

personally I didn't care much about it for the most part, because I was just glad to see a Diablo game with upgraded graphics. but after I tried the DarkD3 mod......seriously you need to check out the difference with even just the "Medium" setting.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  20. Creamster

Creamster IncGamers Member

tried logging in last night but nothing , just woke up and i still can't get in , error 37 :)) nice open beta