Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Thoughts on Fists of Thunder - Thunderclap

Discussion in 'Monk' started by CrazyCowboy, Apr 10, 2012. | Replies: 15 | Views: 4748

1. CrazyCowboy

CrazyCowboy IncGamers Member

Thoughts on Fists of Thunder - Thunderclap

I feel like this rune effect needs some work. Perhaps some sort of sound effect or visual effect to go with the teleport... you just instantly appear next to an enemy (range is about 1/2 screen) and it seems a bit awkward. Also you only teleport on this first hit of the combo, so you have to finish the combo to teleport to another enemy. No gap crossing as well :(
  2. Torr

Torr IncGamers Member

Re: Thoughts on Fists of Thunder - Thunderclap

Funny, because I had a different reaction to Thunderclap. To me, it was the first time I felt like Fists of Thunder was useful. Since FoT is already the fastest spirit generator... when you are dual wielding, add a little teleport in and the ability to do a little extra damage to nearby opponents... it just feels like your moving really fast. The little port that it gives you seems to confuse the AI slightly as you pop around. It also makes chasing summoners much easier. Used to be I would be waiting patiently for Dashing Strike to help me against range, but now I know if I click on a ranged enemy with Thunderclap enough times I'll pop over there.

The only thing annoying to me is that it doesn't cross gaps. But for me Thunderclap made Fists of Thunder more enjoyable.
  3. Neinball

Neinball <a href="payments.php">IncGamers Site Pal</a> and<

I've not yet had the chance to update to patch 16, what is the distance of the port?
  4. CrazyCowboy

CrazyCowboy IncGamers Member

The range of the port is about halfway between your character and the edge of the screen...maybe a little less. I definitely agree that it makes Fists of Thunder more effective/fun, but I think the lack of a visual effect for the teleport causes it to look as if the monk is popping around the screen due to lag issues.
  5. TheReadMenace

TheReadMenace IncGamers Member

When I was using it, I kept wondering what the other random people in my game thought about how it looked, if it was weird, was confusing, etc.

I think it's a neat rune, but I don't particularly like it. As CCowboy mentioned, the teleport only works on the first attack. Since the attack works only in short range, I kept finding myself getting one attack off against my target... and for some reason I'd end up needing to chase them across the screen. A Monk would Tail Kick an enemy away, they'd flee to escape, whatever. And I'd find it to be pretty annoying. If my attack is meant to teleport, then why am I chasing someone around for three seconds?

As annoying as it could be, I think it's better as a clvl6 rune than the previous one. The chain lightning effect is a cool effect, but I never found it to be as powerful as the runed Deadly Reach or plain Crippling Wave. I feel like the chain lightning could be very awesome once you get some exceptional gear, but with beta gear I never really saw the damage adding up. [Neinball may disagree after his naked runs]

As a substitute/replacement, I approve of the new rune. ...But once the Deadly Reach rune becomes available on my Monks, I'll probably take that over Thunderclap.

6. snurrfint

snurrfint IncGamers Member

It feels like it needs some tweaking. I mean, even gravestones between you and the target will cancel the teleport and some times it do dmg even if you are not near the target at all. Otherwise its pretty sweet.
  7. cozmiccc

cozmiccc IncGamers Member

I agree. Loved the teleport effect but it definitely need a visual indicator when you teleport, otherwise it just look like I'm lagging.

Btw, which one is the indicator for the shock fiels effect that deal 35% damage, I see sparks flying amd the third hit effect is also bigger but it looks more like arcane damage... **confused**
  8. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

About 36 yards, same as Vault.

Words cannot describe how awesome this rune is. It made the Monk much more enjoyable for me.

I think the fact that only the first hit teleports you is completely intentional and warranted. It basically gives the effect a small cooldown that's affected by your attack speed. Teleporting on all hits would be ridiculous, especially since it's free.

As for the teleport itself, at the moment it's not really a teleport at all. It's an instant movement without pathfinding, which means movement in a straight line between the player and the target. The pathfinding part needs to be addressed, as objects between you and your target often prevent you from closing the distance. I'm fine with the fact that it's not a real teleport and so it can't be used to cross over impassable terrain. It's tooltip should be updated though to make this clear.

Another minor issue with the skill is that you'll move even if you're shift-attacking.

Oh and I also agree, that it needs an effect for its "teleport".

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  9. cozmiccc

cozmiccc IncGamers Member

Maybe it should be a dash instead of teleport, and add appropriate effect for it.
  10. Torr

Torr IncGamers Member

I don't want to oversell the rune, because I'm still more likely to put Crippling Wave in as my primary. Usually I can't wait to upgrade from Fists of Thunder, and now... I kind of enjoy it. We are really talking more about aesthetics here, but for me I like the teleport effect without any visual indicator. Using it in conjunction with dual wielding, I get a feeling of moving "faster than the eye can see". Of course it's all an illusion, but I like the feel of the rune. Maybe all those years as a young boy reading the Flash have affected what I enjoy as a gamer.
  11. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

How would you feel about a quick flash of light at the start point and/or at the destination? An elaborate effect like what Dashing Strike has would require some kind of delay in the attack and that would definitely affect the feel of the skill, which I don't want. It should remain completely instantaneous, however I feel that the lack of an effect is a missed opportunity to make this rune even more awesome than it is.

12. Torr

Torr IncGamers Member

Honestly it wouldn't bother me all that much if they added a flash effect. Usually when I play the monk compared to say, the barbarian, my reaction times are a bit quicker. I do alot of "clicky-clicky-clicky" with my mouse, alot of dashing strike around the enemy and whether there was an effect there or not it wouldn't slow me down. I think the reason it feels fast to me without an effect is that sometimes the teleport is a short distance if you're clicking things directly in front of you, and you didn't even realize you teleported. So my brain just sees the whole blur of motion as "man I'm really moving fast, the enemy can't even keep up with me". Again, like I said it's all really an illusion, a trick of the eye. It would be a fun rune for me either way.
  13. Such Violent Storms

Such Violent Storms IncGamers Member

It needs an effect, otherwise it looks inherently laggy and is annoying to look at.

Probably not, because then you evoke all the problems Charge had in D2 having to go around obstacles.

14. Chaboi

Chaboi IncGamers Member

Guess I'm going to have t load up the beta and give this a shot. It sounds interesting
  15. OneMedicArmy

OneMedicArmy IncGamers Member

I love the mechanics (apart from the no-pathfinding part of the "teleport"), it's great fun when you use the hold+shift control method, since the teleport will move you partway towards a targeted enemy if the teleport itself doesn't have enough range. What this turns into, in practice, is the monk skipping through a pack of enemies (killing a few and damaging almost all of them) on his way towards the wreched mother or skeleton summoner in the back. I'd not be adverse to an effect on both ends of the teleport, but to the person paying the monk it's not really necessary. Your character is always in the center of the screen, it doesn't need an effect to show your character is still there.
  16. z00t

z00t IncGamers Member

A visual indicator of the teleport would definitely be nice - I'm thinking a kind of 'zippy' light, similar to when you use Dashing Strike.

It's such an AMAZING rune though, oh my goodness! Piercing Trident outshone the chain lightning rune for Fists of Thunder, but Thunderclap really makes the choice much more interesting :D.

In fact, I even prefer Thunderclap because it totally negates the main issue I had with Fists of Thunder - lack of reach (how annoying was it to have some monster just leave the range of your 3rd strike in the combo, for example). And with Thunderclap, it doesn't matter how fast Jondar runs around, you can stick to him so well - it's soooo fun XD.