Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Thoughts on 1.13 classic?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Dazliare, Mar 29, 2013. | Replies: 5 | Views: 522

1. Dazliare

Dazliare IncGamers Member

Title really. I'd like to try it, if anything because rare items are where it's at. Thoughts, advice, concerns, etc? Is the only difference the fact that a5 is gone, no class specific items, jewels, charms, runes, etc?
  2. felixbavaria

felixbavaria IncGamers Site Pal

No equipment on mercs. No sockets in armor. No exceptional S/Us. No elite weaponry. No circlets. Only non-magical throwing weapons (no auto refill). Stash is half of the size. Have to use ATMA instead of GoMule. May have forgotten something.

1.13 Classic is rather meh, imo. That's because all the modifications of the 1.10+ patch were made with LoD in mind. So you have to fight high HP enemies without elite weapons, need skill synergies without having Act V to level, etc.
  3. VThief

VThief IncGamers Member

There's also no weapon switch. No Sin or Druid, obviously.

GoMule works fine with classic. Although it does seem to dislike it if you ever get a merc (whether they die or not) - I'm guessing it tries loading up their non-existent items. So I avoid getting the quest reward from blood raven for e.g.

Armours can have sockets:

View attachment 4240

(but only with the rare armour + soj + 3pskull cube recipe)

I've always loved classic in every patch. If you have a clue at all about diablo you won't really struggle playing through hell in 1.13 classic - some parts will definitely be harder than cruising through LoD with ridiculously overpowered runewords, but that's fun. I also prefer hunting for specific kinds of rares, rather than specific uniques/runes. After a little while of playing a 190ed martel de fer with a few nice mods on it just looks SEXY in a way that I never got from the same old LoD items.

Straying too far from the known powerful builds can be hard. But it's definitely worth playing around with some others and seeing what works OK. PvM Classic B.net in 1.13 was full of:

Barbs

* WW barbs using rare big 2 handed weps (martels, exe's, lances, ancient axes, high end exceptional polearms)

Sorcs (shard is by far the most popular weapon -- sometimes uniques are still the best fit)

* Blizz sorcs
    * FB sorcs
    * Some orb sorcs
    -- Lightning sorcs don't do very well with no -enemy lr or huge amount of +skills you get in LoD
    -- Without huge amount of +skills, going multi-tree isn't very efficient

Pallys

* Hammerdins are very powerful.
    * Some zeal. Usually with fanat. Obviously not in the same tier as ww barbs, hammerdins and sorcs.

Zons

* Bowzons were hurt really badly post 1.10 in classic especially. In LoD the freezing spells are quite powerful and mana options are realistic, and damage can be high enough to use strafe decently, but I think it will be slow and hard in classic. They used to be very powerful. I timetravelled back to 1.09 just for classic bowzons and nova sorcs again :)
    * Javazons use plain normal javalins /w mostly LF for PvM. Non exceptional, non magical, just plain javs. They destroy cows still, but questing is hard.

Necros

* Fishy builds work ok. Nowhere near as powerful (or mobile) as a well geared LoD one, obviously, but they do alright. CE still destroys everything.
    * Other options. With CE.

Choosing other builds like frenzy or singer barbs would definitely work. It's just a little more of a challenge.

I do sometimes miss having a merc pal along or some aspects of act 5 or playing with a sin. But I love classic and the items in it. I personally play a lot of 1.06b to get rares from that time period that are no longer possible in 1.13d classic. Then bring them forward and combine with rares that are better in later patches (such as shields) to make unique, incredibly powerful chars.

1.13 is OK for classic IMO.
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  4. WoodenMind

WoodenMind IncGamers Member

You might want to check this recent classic tourney for build ideas:
    http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?811265-A-low-key-Classic-Tourney

I wouldn't advise using GoMule with classics chars, it tends to corrupt them. ATMA works fine though.
    Normal set items can be very useful, in particular I used full Cleglaw's as end-game on my Frost Zealot. I also used partial Angelic's and Death's sets at various points.
  5. Hector

Hector IncGamers Member

As much as I love classic I wouldn't recommend it on 1.13. I'd play an older version like maybe 1.09 (something before synergies).
  6. VThief

VThief IncGamers Member

I really believe GoMule is OK as long as you don't get a merc and you don't try placing an item in stash space that doesn't actually exist on your char (it still shows the LoD sized stash and weapon swaps on classic chars in gomule). I have used it a lot with classic chars.