Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

This setup good enough for Act III?

Discussion in 'Witch Doctor' started by Ghoulz, Oct 13, 2012. | Replies: 7 | Views: 6138

1. Ghoulz

Ghoulz IncGamers Member

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Ghoulz-1759/hero/27192839

I'm sorta squishy, but that's not a big problem for WDs. Unless it's mortar packs or something, but I haven't been killed by one yet. I saw MF while searching AH for gear, and just stuck with it in trade off of some resists and Vit.

I haven't had big issues in Act II. Other than some scares with vortex/teleport packs. Pets can do some serious tanking so I'm yet to encounter an elite pack in Inferno that wipes out all my pets. The Butcher couldn't even drop their health.

How good is farming in Act II? Maybe I should stay there for a while?
  2. Doctor Clock

Doctor Clock IncGamers Member

Act 2 farming is good, especially VoA runs if you can do them fast. Your resists are low and Hp are low, which can be a problem. I've never had as much life regen as you, so I don't know how much that improves things. I'm more concerned about your build, though. Pyrogeist + Manitou means your only direct damage is Acid Cloud, which is also a DoT. I'd switch to Ghostbomb or Flash Fire on Firebomb and probably ditch Manitou all together for Horrify or Mass Confusion for more survivability. Also, see if you can drop Zombie Handler for Spirit Vessel or Pierce the Veil. Int/Attack Speed gear tends to be a lot cheaper than Crit/Crit Damage, and it works well with a Firebomb based build.
  3. Ghoulz

Ghoulz IncGamers Member

I tried ghost bomb before. It wasn't doing me much good. The extra damage is not useful for elites. Survivability wasn't much of an issue in Act II. Died once, to those insect projectiles, that I couldn't see among the chaos going on. That's the only downside of the WD. They create a lot of FX and it becomes a pain to see incoming projectiles.

I'll stick with Pyrogeist. It's good for dishing some damage while keeping your distance from elites. Manitou I'd admit doesn't help me much there, unless I'm against mortars which I'll just stick close to keep out of range. Plus it's not super powerful. I don't really know what else to use. I doubt Horrify or Mass Confusion would help much against nasty stuff like mortar/jailer. Maybe Wall of Zombies, but it's only good in a tight area.

I killed Ghom, and just happened to die from a jailer/mortar pack during Act II. If they're Vortex I just stay out of range and snipe with Pyrogeist/Acid Rain.

My life regen is helping quite a bit. I'm not sure if it's normal for dogs to tank through plagued packs and such without losing health. Ghom couldn't even kill one dog. Life on Hit along with crit damage on weapons don't come cheap so I had no other alternative. 1100 life a tick is pretty fast also. No slower than a DH with a crossbow with LoH.

Act III is going slow, so I guess I need more Int. For a weapon, I doubt I'll find one stronger than 950 for a while. I suppose I could swap ZH for Pierce the Veil. Though I couldn't spam Acid Rain as much. Does it make pets deal more damage also?

And.... what is a VoA run...?
  4. Mobbo

Mobbo IncGamers Member

May I suggest rain of toads instead of acid. Manitou /pyrogeist/ rain of toads works great with PTV. Never run out of management so more dmg.
  5. Doctor Clock

Doctor Clock IncGamers Member

VoA is Vault of the Assassin, the dungeon in the Desolate Sands that has a lot of elites in it.

If you want to keep Pyrogeist, then I would swap Manitou for another primary. RoT as Mobbo suggested is very good. Soul Harvest also adds a lot of damage. It just doesn't look like you have anything that you can spam consistently in between Acid Clouds, and without a mana passive, I'm not seeing any way that you can be doing non-stop Acid Cloud attacks.
  6. Ghoulz

Ghoulz IncGamers Member

Well, I haven't been given much time to spam like crazy. I'm always being forced back by flippin mortar mobs.

Either I been lucky, or I'm just good, but I made it to Azmodan and killed him. If you consider 80% of the Elites packing mortar lucky, including a Phase Beast pack. I only swapped Manitou for Wall of Zombies: Barricade and Pierce the Veil from Zombie Handler. Died from a couple things, like a rare winged molar popping up behind me with another elite pack chasing me, and teleporting fire chains.

Siege Breaker was stupid. Couldn't kill a single dog.

Drops in Act III aren't much better. Still way too many level 55 items and such.

Lmao, so yeah, I kinda destroy the point of the thread.
  7. clowninmypants

clowninmypants IncGamers Member

I'd say get a better mojo and you'll be gtg
  8. Dogbert

Dogbert IncGamers Member

Ilvl 55 items can't drop in inferno anymore. The lowest ilvl is 58 now.