Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

this computer cannot run diablo 2

Discussion in '1.13 Bug Reports & Suggestions' started by mackscynox, Jul 1, 2013. | Replies: 11 | Views: 9693

1. mackscynox

mackscynox IncGamers Member

yea, my computer says that.

i bought a new larger monitor and connected pc to that. due to protect my eyes i had to fall back away from monitor but this time the colors of the game cannot be selected properly. You know, the color of unique and rare becomes too similar to differentiate, dark areas are too dark to see anything, maybe because of the view angle (i always play d2 in window mode btw). when the lights out, feel is good but for my eyes it is not :D

i decided to test 2D instead of 3D selection you would do in videotest application that comes with D2 (i set it to 3D long ago). but when i run it, application says "this computer cannot run diablo 2" and gives no option to select. all i wanted to do is to play with contrast and brightness because in 3D window mode the contrast has no effect.

is there a way to increase the brightness/contrast by registry perhaps or any way to enable 2D?

compatibility stuff/run-as-admin did not work.

system: win7 x64, d2 has to be window mode (i dont want to kill explorer), i play bnet so no external glider etc please...
    i can play d2 with no problem, only the videotest application fails to give any option to play with video settings. my vid cards are nvidia, i thought i could change this from their settings but i could not find the option to set it for one application only.

thanks
  2. BKC

BKC IncGamers Member

Mack your pc is too new :) most vid cards that are newer are not supported that well... however running things in windows xp mode on 16 bit colors might do the trick! (you know compatibility mode) always run it as an administrator that helps also!
  3. mackscynox

yeah i know but compatibility does not solve anything. i tried many combinations under that section. 256bit color / disable X / disable Y / xp sp3 / win98 etc....

does not work. probably problem is my video drivers, after first blink the view becomes normal as without the changes made with compatibility. think of it like driver rollbacks the changes made after first flash of desktop.

i disabled UAC, i am always admin (renamed admin user so there is no administrator than my user actually). still specifying made no change.

do you know the registry options for those settings?
  4. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

I've recently had to re-install Windows and re-install D2.

All I did was run the D2VidTst.exe in the Diablo folder and pick the Direct 3D option.

Everything looks fine. (I do run as administrator but I always run everything as administrator, so I've no idea if that makes a difference.)

Good luck.

EDIT:
    560 ti in a sli configuration with 320.49 Nvidia driver
  5. mackscynox

460gtx sli here too, i dont think it matters when the game is near 15 years old.

look at the machines we got and what we play:badteeth:
  6. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

Well my other favourite at the moment is Minecraft ...

When a game comes out with the flexibility and subtlety as Diablo 2 then I'd play it. The only thing which came close was (the profitable) City of Heroes/City of Villains and NCSoft closed that last year (the fifth MMO they've closed). The CoX Community is trying to get spiritual successors to the game done but that's probably a couple of years off. (Good community; everyone from seven year olds learning teamwork to people on deployment in Afghanistan/Iraq.)

Everything else I've tried seems too linear, grindy and above all lacking in depth. I'll not name the games I've tried to protect the guilty. Flashy does not equal good.

Right now I'm keeping an eye on Greenlight games on Steam and gog.com retro grames. Kickstarter has some interesting stuff like Frontiers.

As the risk of being on topic ...

I'm confused why you're having such trouble with it. I literally re-installed Windows, D2, ran the gfx thing and set it to 3d and voila ... done. It's not even in compatibility mode or anything. (I tried compatibility etc and that just didn't work.)
  7. mackscynox

i avoid mmo's, i had addictions to some in the past and i dont want to lose myself again. minecraft is not my thing, i respect whoever plays it though.

that is my computer i guess. i didnot touch windows for 2 years (perhaps), not being able to run d2 video test is not an "enough" reason to re-install windows, thinking about the development stuff i have to reinstall....arrrgggghhh (cough)... nope that wont happen for d2 colors, i can live with that.

i dont know how long it was like that, maybe older driver versions worked like charm but newer ones cause glitch on d2.

only solution i can think of seems to install d2 to another virtual box (i have 2 already :)) and play from there.

if anyone know the registry settings or to modify it from graphic card control panel, please pm me or write here.

thanks
  8. ThunderCat

ThunderCat IncGamers Member

Have you tried playing around with the display settings in the Nvidia control panel? I'm not sure what effect that might have on an application which is run in window mode, but you might want to give it a go.

If that doesn't work, Windows 7 (as I'm assuming that's what you are using) has it's own colour correction utility. That might be worth looking into as well.
  9. mackscynox

nvidia control panel does not have brightness settings for each application. it does for whole system. i only need to change it for 1 application, d2.

yes, i use win7. i will check that color correction utility but i hope it affects only 1 application. NCP already has color correction but for system.

thanks
  10. ThunderCat

ThunderCat IncGamers Member

A cheap(ish) alternative would be to connect a second monitor and play D2 on it.

Since you're playing in window mode, you don't need to worry about it starting on the main monitor, but you might want to consider using a software like Ultramon to make things a lot easier.

These days it's extremely easy for everyone to use second, third or even more monitors on AMD graphics cards.
  11. mackscynox

that cheapish alternative works but due to my room layout second monitor cause some cable issues. I used 2 monitors in the past as well but when i changed my room layout i gave up one.

i will check Ultramon when i have time to test a few things.

thanks
  12. zrk

zrk IncGamers Member

pretty sure glide wrapper is legit with blizz