Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates

Thinking of making a norm-hell HC lets play; some questions

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Snowbird, Oct 18, 2013. | Replies: 8 | Views: 1243

1. Snowbird

Snowbird IncGamers Member

I almost always play sorcs and pallys, but I kind of want to use a barb for a few reasons-
    -It will be hardcore and my sorcs always die here and there.
    -I've never really played a barb
    -He has a huge tanking ability
    -I love the idea of the 'find item' skill

I really want to do a 100% clear, like killing anything and everything, breaking open every barrel, etc. Probably all on /p 8, unless hell /p 8 takes too long.

So I was thinking along the lines of using a Concentrate+Whirlwind barb, and wanted to know how viable it will actually be untwinked.

thinking of leaving nightmare at level 75-77 like this

Warcries:
    -20 Battle Orders
    -5 Shout(gonna alternate between Iron Skin and see what will give the best overall defense for me)
    -8 points in Find Item(will be using this a lot)
    -1 point in most everything

Combat Masteries:
    -5 Weapon Mastery
    -1 point in stamina and faster r/w
    -5 points in Iron skin
    -8 points in natural resists

Combat Skills:
    -10 Concentrate
    -10 Whirlwind
    -1 berserk and the prereqs

For gear I am thinking high armor + resists + hp + leech with as much Crushing Blow, Open Wounds, and Deadly Strike I can find/make. I plan on using shield with max block as well. For my weapon I just want high damage with the mods I specified before

For merc I am thinking either defiance or might, as I dont want to freeze anything because of find item. If I can tank reasonably well without that merc, I might think about using a non act 2 merc just because I am tired of them.

So, assuming I can find decent weapons here and there, will this be able to get me through hell well enough?

-I know certain things proc during whirlwind and others don't. I've read a lot about how to use it correctly but w/out searching all over again, I just want to know of the 3 things (Crushing blow, Deadly Strike, and Open wounds), which proc?

-Will I probably want to be walking during most battles? You can block during WW, but thats only if you are walking or standing still first, right?

-Basic plan is Concentrate for single targets, and WW for groups. Will a 1 hand + shield do decent enough damage to kill things during WW? (CB,DS,OW question might answer this)

-Does Shout take into account your points in iron skin before calculating the defense bonus it will give you? If so, it would be better to have more points put into iron skin, because I doubt it works the other way around.

-If on swap I have a weapon with Crushing blow in one hand and Open wounds in the other hand, by using double swing or another ability, will I proc both? If using WW? Concentrate?

-Would the mod of Obedience "Adds 3-14 Cold Damage 3 Second Duration (Normal)" make it so I couldn't use find item?

-Is treachery(45% IAS and fade) good enough to use?

Well, I realize those are a lot of questions, but I appreciate any response! Thanks
  2. Black Lotus

Black Lotus IncGamers Member

Unless you're planning to "untwink" standart set of uniques (like gores, string of ears, arreats etc) and decent weapons via baal runs, making it through hell even on p1 will be extremely painful. Usually I dont even think about starting barb before i trade for all that stuff.
  3. srrw

srrw IncGamers Member

First of all I would recommend using either WW or Concentrate. WW does the job well enough against single targets.
    Also maxing Howl in HC, and especially untwinked will be a major help.

DS/OW/CB work fine with WW.

Don't bother with more than 1pt Shout and Iron Skin. Defense is useless.

The cold damage will shatter some corpses, but Obedience is still worth it if nothing equal/better is available. Probably your best bet at an end-game weapon is Oath.

*Note: I've never actually played a barbarian, so I'm not totally trustworthy. I have plenty of experience with WWsins tho.

A basic skill layout
    20 Whirlwind
    10+ Battle Orders
    10+ Howl
    10+ Weapon Mastery
    1+ Find Item
    1+ Natural resistance
    1 in Berserk, Increased Speed, War Cry and prereqs.
  4. Snowbird

Snowbird IncGamers Member

Idk, I think I would rather have a higher defense than have to constantly shout all the time. I think grim ward will work well enough.
  5. Fizoo

Fizoo IncGamers Member

If you want to play barb, play the fun barb. Throw barb! Its easy and seriously fun to play! Also doesn't require great equipment!

1. Primary skill is double throw, but we actually do NOT take it to 20!
    2. Normal is easy, so we open by taking battle orders to 20, because it helps you and people love to play with you.
    3. Next take throwing mastery to 20.
    4. You should be level 49 at this point.
    5. Now take double swing to 20!

Ok, let's take a look at our damage....

Lvl 21 throwing mastery (we got battle command) is +128% damage.
    Double swing synergies with double throw, boosting its damage. Level 20 double swing gives it another +160 damage.
    Might merc! Might merc aura level is 10/32 x merc level. My merc is level 70, so his might is level 10/32 x 70 or level 21 or +240% dmg

You don't need incredible weapons to pull this off. I'd be on the lookout for white winged axes and imbue those.

View attachment 4876

I found a nice flying knife with about half of that damage, and I do 2.5k dmg per throw with it. I'm super poor too. I machine
    gun those out and take down a lot.

Get your crushing blow. Guillaumes face is a common drop. Reapers toll on merc would be sweet for decrep all day.

If you want to talk expensive, make a might merc with concentration aura using a pride polearm (cham + sur + io + LO)

There are throw barbs that do 7.5k dmg per hit. Double throw gives them 15k damage every click!

full skill tree:

1 battle command
    20 battle orders

20 throw mastery
    1 increased speed
    1 natural resistance

1 frenzy
    1 berzerk (kill physical immunes)
    20 double swing
    1 leap

only takes 63 points.

You have options with the rest of the skill points. You can boost natural resistance up for safety. You can boost find item up for double chances of loot. By level 83, you could have level 10 find item (42% chance), level 10 natural resistance (+54% res all) and dump future skill points in double throw for attack rating boost.

###############

Level 49 should look like this:

1 battle command
    20 battle orders

1 increased speed
    1 natural resistance
    20 throwing mastery

1 leap
    1 frenzy
    9 double swing
    1 double throw

and you are smashing face with double throw.
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  6. Fizoo

Fizoo IncGamers Member

Another note for throw barb:

when you get to level 40, start shopping Malah for balanced knifes (6-11 base dmg) of evisceration in A5 normal.

Balanced knives are great because of very fast attack speed and large quantity (160 per stack). Evisceration grants +41-63 max dmg and it is an ilvl 45 suffix. At shops (NOT gambles), a toon's ilvl = toon level +5. So once you hit level 40, your ilvl at shops is 45 and the game can offer you evisceration as a suffix. Evisceration is min level 37, so you will be able to equip it right away.

Also note there are caps on ilvl in normal only, and the cap varies by act:

A1: 12
    A2: 20
    A3: 28
    A4: 36
    A5: 45

So only Malah can give you balanced knives of evisceration in normal difficulty.

Other + max dmg suffixes and their ilvls:

butchery: +21-40 ilvl 35
    slaughter: +15-20 ilvl 25
    carnage: +11-14 ilvl 14

butchery and evisceration cannot be rolled on rares. That basically makes rares worthless in the early going, as a magical can have +40 max dmg over any rare.

[​IMG]

Nice nightmare difficulty weapon!
  7. Black Lotus

Black Lotus IncGamers Member

Hm I never knew that. Is there any info like that (shopping) in d2wiki?
  8. Fizoo

Fizoo IncGamers Member

9. Fizoo

Fizoo IncGamers Member

Another option would be going on a higher level toon and shopping in nm or hell for franciscas.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Been using using these on my low 30s HC throw barb tonite. Here's his damage:

[​IMG]

Everything dies in a couple throws. :D Normal and early nm will be cruise control with that kind of damage.

right now using:

12 BO (in process of taking this to MAX)
    1 battle command

15 throw mastery
    1 increased speed
    1 natural resistance

1 leap
    1 frenzy

after BO max, i max throw mastery, then i max double swing