Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The "When It Rains, It Pours" Tournament

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by skunkbelly, Jan 23, 2006. | Replies: 224 | Views: 12524

1. skunkbelly

skunkbelly IncGamers Member

The "When It Rains, It Pours" Tournament

Well, now that I'm back to D2 again, it's time for another of Skunkbelly's famous tournaments... drum roll please...

The “When It Rains, It Pours†Tournament

Once upon a time, a group of brave heroes joined the fight against evil. They quickly learned, however, that their journey was difficult in many ways. Instead of gaining experience in a smooth curve, they learned in fits and starts. And instead of finding useful equipment along the way, they discovered huge troves of treasure only rarely… the rest of the time, they found nothing at all. Not the best circumstances to fight back the hordes of wicked beasts that roamed the land… but a hero’s gotta do what a hero’s gotta do!

Rules:

1. HC characters only.

2. RWM is permitted.

3. No multiplayer is permitted.

4. ATMA is not permitted.

5. You may play any character class you wish.

6. You may play on any players setting you wish, and you may change it at any time.

7. Any mercenary may be used; mercenary equipment must adhere to the same rules as character equipment.

8. You must solve all quests and find all waypoints, in order. Imbue and item-personalizing quest rewards may be saved within the same difficulty level (i.e., you must use your Normal imbue reward before proceeding to Nightmare difficulty).

9. SKILLS: All skills may be used, without limitation. However, skill points may only be used upon meeting certain objectives, as follows:
    a. Upon finding the Black Marsh WP.
    b. Upon finding the Lost City WP.
    c. Upon finding the Great Marsh WP.
    d. Upon finding the River of Flame WP.
    e. Upon finding the Ancient’s Way WP.

So for example, after starting the game, you may not assign any skill points until you reach the Black Marsh WP (and according to rule #5, that means you must have cleared the Den, defeated Blood Raven, rescued Cain, and found all the waypoints up to the Black Marsh). You then must assign *all* skill points accumulated to that point. You will then have to wait until reaching the Lost City WP before assigning any additional skill points.

10. EQUIPMENT: You may ONLY use items you find in the following areas of the game (but see rule 11 for exceptions):
    a. The Den of Evil.
    b. Catacombs level 4.
    c. The Arcane Sanctuary, but the four path-ending areas ONLY.
    d. Tal Rasha’s Chamber.
    e. The Swampy Pit, levels 2 and 3.
    f. The Durance of Hate level 3.
    g. The Chaos Sanctuary.
    h. Abaddon.
    i. Worldstone Chamber.

This rule includes nearly all items, including scrolls, keys, charms, all socket-fillers, mana potions, rejuvenation potions, antidote potions, throwing potions, thawing potions, and even gold! You may, however, purchase healing potions (but see rule 11). You may wear your starting item(s) as long as you wish (i.e., paladin short sword, necro +1 raise skeleton wand, barbarian hand axe, etc.).

11. GAMBLING AND SHOPPING: You may sell any item found in the areas listed above (but not anywhere else!). Gold that you obtain through selling items may be used as follows:
    a. To purchase a single tome of town portal and identify. Once you have purchased one of each tome, you may not purchase another.
    b. To purchase healing potions (Any size are permitted, but no other kinds of potions may be bought! All others must be found as described in rule 10.)
    c. To repair items.
    d. To gamble. However, you may ONLY gamble for items immediately upon completing an area listed in rule #10 (i.e., once you finish the Den of Evil, you may gamble for items, but you may not gamble once you reach the Cold Plains).

12. You may use the Cube to modify any items in any way you see fit, so long as ALL recipe ingredients were found according to the rules listed above.

13. You may make any runewords you wish (RWM words included), so long as ALL ingredients were found according to the rules listed above.

14. You may re-run areas for experience, but NOT for items.

15. Character stat points may be assigned at any time.

The tournament starts now, and continues until April Fool’s Day. Points will be scored as follows:

-1 point for each level gained.
    1 point for each WP found (towns included).
    2 points for each quest completed (for scoring purposes, quest box must be turned gray to get points… if you save your imbue, for example, you don’t get points until you redeem it...and if you die first, you never get the points).

GO!
  2. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

Count me out, but:

1) MP allowed?
    2) So uh... what about if you see a gold sacred armor drop on the 3rd level of the Maggot Lair in Hell? Technically you should be disqualified for picking it up, and I'm pretty sure I would be. Can such finds be muled off without ever having been used?
  3. skunkbelly

Rule #3 states no multiplayer.

As for incredible finds along the way: feel free to mule off of your character, if you find things you want to keep. But no muling on is permitted.
  4. Wolron

Wolron IncGamers Member

Wolron is on board

Well, now I am in five tournaments. Let's see, I am playing Druid, Sorceress, Barbarian, Amazon in the other four, so I will try Paladin in this one. My character name will be FeastRFamine.

OK Skunkbelly now we are even! Please, no more tournaments!
  5. skunkbelly

Oh, by the way, I'm playing a frenzy barb, named Thunderskunk.
  6. dune6836

dune6836 IncGamers Member

ok, im not in any tourny's atm. so im in. let's see.. a necro (cos i failed terribly with a necro last tourny and need some closure ;) ) named "Rainy_Day" lets see how fast i can kill this one off!
  7. Wolron

Wolron IncGamers Member

My first experience

Well, FeastRFamine is at the Cold Plains. My experiences might be of help to those that are started. If nothing else, Skunkbelly might comment on how close this is to the intended behavior:

I decided to run over to the den of evil and ignore all monsters for a while. I did so and cleared it out without too much trouble. My theory was that I needed a bit of gold first for fear that my short sword would wear out. Well, then I went back, bought tomes of id and portal. I only got two id scrolls and I had one that I received at the outset. None were found in the den, so I IDed two rings and a pair of magic boots. Then I went back out and cleared the rest of the first area. I finished by going over to the Cold Plains WP and returning to the Rogue's camp. There are a few difficulties that arose:
    (1) It is hard to remember not to pick up stuff! It is almost a reflex action. The good thing is that you can simply drop the items. The problem is gold. I picked up 11 gold pieces that I should not have. I guess I will have to use ATMA to take them and put them into the ATMA bank.

(2) I ended up with only 221 gold pieces to last until the level 4 of the catacombs. That is going to be used primarily to repair items. I will not be able to ID anything until I rescue Cain. That may cause me to sell a couple rings and a small charm that I am currently saving to be IDed.

(3) Portal scrolls are going to be hard to keep around, so I intend to use the WPs as often as possible or simply hoof it rather than waste the shortcut.

(4) Luckily I found a low quality sash in the den, so I can use it to carry a few more potions. Of course, I have potions now, but they won't last long!

(5) I found a scepter and some javelins, so that will be my offence for the time being.

(6) Gambling was out of the picture in the Rogue's camp because the only source of gold would be to sell those unIDed items. Not ready for that yet.

Great fun! I think.

Let me know if you see any flaws in what I have done so far.

My score is -1. Level 6 (-5), one quest completed, two WPs.
  8. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

This tourney is a little bit too insane, even for me!

@Wolron: you can drop any amount of gold you like. Just open inventory and click on the "gold" area, and you´ll be asked how much to drop!
  9. SuperSavage

SuperSavage IncGamers Member

Well, my internet is finally back up again and I see another tournament arising, and this is one that looks pretty challenging and fun at the same time. I'm in a couple other tournaments but should have decent amount of time to play.

Gonna go with with an amazon and her name is Sasha.

Should we make a table with the progress or just updates?
  10. LynKyle

LynKyle IncGamers Member

I definitely think a table is needed. I would make one for you guys if I can, but I suck at it. So, anyone kind enough making a table applicable for this tourney would be very much appreciated.

And oh, I might decide to join but have to check on some few things first as I'm currently engaged in another HC tourney. :smiley:
  11. AlterEgo

AlterEgo IncGamers Member

Ok, I've got to try this one - it seems quite insane! :shocked:

We have a barb, pally, necro and zon, so I'll take a shot at an assassin. Be back in a few with an update...
  12. SuperSavage

Here we go: (from skiless tourny but works perfectly)

Code:
    Forum Name    Character   Char Name     LVL   ACT           WP      Score                              
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    SuperSavage   Amazon        Sasha        1     A1        RougeCamp     0
    dune6836      Necro        Rainy_Day     1     A1        RougeCamp     0
    skunkbelly    Barb       ThunderSkunk    1     A1        RougeCamp     0
    AlterEgo      Assassin
    Wolron        Palidan    FeastRFamine    6     A1       Cold Plains   -1

13. OpethAZ

OpethAZ IncGamers Member

Code:
    AlterEgo      Assassin
    OpethAZ       Druid      Thunderstorm    1     A1       RogueCamp      0

I was going to join you in the rouge camp, but I never look good in it... :laughing: figured I'd do a Druid to round it out.
  14. Billybgame

Billybgame IncGamers Member

Code:
    AlterEgo      Assassin
    OpethAZ       Druid      Thunderstorm    1     A1       RogueCamp      0
    Billybgame    Sorceress                  1     A1       RogueCamp      0  

What the heck....probably won't live long, anyway. Being I never play them, I'll throw in a sorceress.

Concentrating on SPUMF, at the moment, however. But, she'll kick it in gear, at some point.
  15. AlterEgo

AlterEgo IncGamers Member

DoWithout, the novice Assassin studies the rules, and plans her attack. Meh, this might just work out...

DoWithout the trapper, lvl12, Black Marsh WP, 3Q/5WP = score -1
    Str=20, Dex=20, Vit=40, Nrg=25 (35 pts saved)
    Traps: FB, WoF, SW(4), CBS
    Shadow: PH, CoS, CM, WB, BoS

I don't want to give out a bunch of strategic "spoilers" here since most haven't started yet, but I will tell a bit of the story. DoWithout started at P8 to get quick experience - Blood Raven is much easier if you already have your Rogue, and health potions ain't cheap in this contest. After that, the goal was lvl12 by the Black Marsh WP. There were a couple NDEs from pushing the red bulb a bit far, but mission accomplished.

The Den of Evil netted me some decent early game items:
    * +2 Static staff (5K gold pieces = repairs + potions!)
    * cracked katar - don't laugh, it gives weapon block ability
    * Large Charm of Blight - +6 poison damage has been a great help
    * chipped ruby - hopefully will be "shrined up" for some +life later on
    * socketed buckler and socketed armor
    * sash

My normal playstyle is full clears, but this particular contest will make me play much differently. For example, what's the point of risking a confrontation with Coldcrow?
    Bishibosh gave me a TC3 grail item Felloak - cool. :afro:

My computer OS doesn't like code blocks, so someone else might make my update. Also, please change all of the "rouge" to "rogue". :wink3:
  16. SuperSavage

Well, Sasha has made it out of town this evening and accomplished a couple things.

Started on /p 8 and got to level 2 before going to den and after clearing the den (which was easy) I had this at level 6: (after selling items in den)

- 12 healing pots
    - 1 chip sapphire (i can't believe i got this for cold attk :) )
    - 2 scroll tp
    - 1760 gold down to 532 gold after this:

*Bought 2 socket scepter - 350 gold
    *Gambled Long Bow - 868 gold

After that, I ran and found cold plains WP and killed bisibosh along with all the rogues coming after me. Found my way to blood raven and had the player setting down to 1 with a chip sapphire scepter, her army and her were down within no time with no problems. The gambled bow was a 10%IAS long bow so now with a merc which is only level 3 uses it and it helps lots with the rogue merc. Next I run to stony field at level 7 and run into rakanishu right after coming in stony field and i let my merc attack from affar until they all rush me and I try and not let my merc die but she was KIA one time and when you only have this much gold which it cost me another 120 gold to reserect her. After getting her back I took down him and his minions pretty easy only using 1 pot and found the WP right next to the stones.

After that I don't look in good gold shape:

532 - 120

down to 412 gold now to repair and get pots until cat 4... those skills are gonna be so nice at the black marsh WP! That scepter has me with a decent attack that should easily be good enough to the end of Act I. If I get my gold down to far I might have to sell my cap of +1 energy or my shield/gloves and if it gets scary my armor which is leather but that would be crazy. Losing your merc is extremely costly especially after giving her all the gold too.

Code:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    dune6836      Necro        Rainy_Day     1     A1        RogueCamp     0
    skunkbelly    Barb       ThunderSkunk    1     A1        RogueCamp     0
    OpethAZ       Druid      Thunderstorm    1     A1        RogueCamp     0
    Billybgame    Sorceress       ?          1     A1        RogueCamp     0  
    SuperSavage   Amazon        Sasha        8     A1        StonyField   -1
    AlterEgo      Assassin    DoWithout     12     A1        BlackMarsh   -1 

17. SuperSavage

I have reached the Black Marsh WP with my second update, good tourny.
    Score: **LVL: -12**QUEST: +8**WP: +4** = 0 Points

With 412 Gold I have gone down to a little 106 with buying all healing potions and only one repair which was cheaper than I thought. Managed to get level 13 and kill the countess before stopping. Just using a potion hurts so I try and let my merc do as much as she can without me and her getting hurt like the slower monsters.

*The Cain Quest gave me a decent ring with 10% light resist and +1 magic damage reduce which is useable or can be sold for a WHOPPING 1,594 gold. Hard decision to make here, if the time comes I will sell it.

*Reached 60 vitality to get a reasonable 194 life.
    *Gem shrine gave me chip diamond which was perfect for my 1 socket buckler I used when I found it in the den and swapped with starting one.+6 resists!!

*13 skill points: (so few item areas... passive is perfect)

6 - Crit. Strike
    4 - Dodge
    2 - Evade
    1 - Inner Sight

so... Down to 106 gold/10 heal pots/1 scroll tp..... dont wear boots/belt/amulet/1 ring

Code:
    SuperSavage   Amazon        Sasha       13     A1        BlackMarsh    0

18. Sint Nikolaas

Sint Nikolaas IncGamers Member

Seems like a nice tournament, I'll sign up but have to think of which char first :)
  19. LynKyle

LynKyle IncGamers Member

Code:
    LynKyle       Necro    will decide soon  1     A1        RogueCamp     0
    SuperSavage   Amazon        Sasha       13     A1        BlackMarsh    0

I might as well join but there are some things I have to finish first... And its a tedious task so I don't know when will I finish and start here for the tourney...

Is there a date where one can no longer join here in this tourney? And is there a prize?
  20. Tha_Fas

Tha_Fas IncGamers Member

Count me in plz, great tourny idea btw :thumbsup:

"10. EQUIPMENT: You may ONLY use items you find in the following areas of the game (but see rule 11 for exceptions):"

This means that we are not allowed to use quest reward items ?