Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The Untouchable - Knockback to the max!

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by Youngtimer, Apr 3, 2012. | Replies: 9 | Views: 2841

1. Youngtimer

Youngtimer IncGamers Member

The Untouchable - Knockback to the max!

He is the one with the hardest punch of all. His enemies spend more time flying through the air than standing on their feet. His slogan: “Get the f**k out of my way!”
    Some call him “Mister Moon Physics”, I call him “The Untouchable”

Enough trash talk, but Builds should be fun. :yes:
    In Detail, this is an Endgame Build that focus around the many Knockback possibilities of the Barbarian.

[​IMG]

http://eu.battle.net/d3/de/calculator/barbarian#bcSedV!ZYf!bcZZcY

1. Cleave + Scattinging Blast. Promises a lot of action on the screen. Every crit (and we crit alot!) blasts the victim through the air. Where the fool lands, he inflicts additional 60% to all of pitiful buddies.

1. Rend + Bloodbath. His enemies will hardly find the time to fight against the Untouchable. They are constantly busy by: flying, falling over, standing up and walking back to the Barbarian. This is where good DoT (Damage over Time) like Rend becomes the key element of this build.[HR][/HR]It kills them in time where they are not standing against the Barbarian. In this combination the Bloodbath Rune is the perfect match to the Scattering Blast of Cleave, including vast chain reactions. Visually this will be a very bloody mess in the second row.

1. Furious Charge + Merciless Assault. One of my favourite Barbarian skills and the opener per se. Very good damage, Fury-Generator, gets you in and out, and has nice chance to lower the cooldown. Even in a single target bossfight usable every 8 seconds. Additionally the knockback effect is really wished in this build.

1. Seismic Slam + Shattered Ground. We all know the videos; Seismic Slam is by far the visually most stunning skill. Its function as a ranged-AOE fits perfect to this build and the rune even maximises the idea.

1. Ancient Spear + Rage Flip. A bit tricky, but great potential. I hope we can work on this together! I am a bit unsure if the rune just pushes the enemy back, or pull it 180° behind you? Aside of this, a great fury generator with 223% Dmg (incl. passive) 60% slow and a roughly 30-40% chance of a cooldown reset based on your crit-rate. Basically this is the skill for “the big one” within the pack. The one you want to put on ice and take care as the last.

1. Revenge + Grudge. The “oh **** button” inclusive a really nice heal, AOE Damage and a massive knockback at the end. Perfectly matching the general idea and might be there for a reason.

Greetings from Germany,
    Youngtimer
  2. DeluksZ

DeluksZ IncGamers Member

Re: The Untouchable - Knockback to the max!

I have planned a build similar to this purpose. It can be found here: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#beYRkU!UXd!ZYcaYa I'm a HC player (and tuned the build for solo play), so I truely focused on being nearly untouchable or being able to escape from tough situations. I got no feedback yet for the build, but looking forward to it. I really like this kind of build setups btw. The barbar has a very wide range of crowd controlling abilities which is neat. The only problem whit these builds are bosses or immune to knockback uniques since we can not really benefit from our abilities. Looking forward to test these stomp machines ingame.
  3. Youngtimer

Hey Deluks!
    Really nice build. The combination of Relentless (passive) and Seismic Slam will really rescue someones ***! :yes:

Please have a look at this: http://www.diablo3skills.net/2012/01/knockback.html

I think there must be a reason why Blizzard put so many "Knockback" possibilities to the Barbarian.
  4. DeluksZ

DeluksZ IncGamers Member

Since I'm a dedicated HC player my hands are tied. I don't really think ANY HC build can exists without Relentless and Ignore Pain, since every HC characters main goal is to stay alive. Therefore I can not really alter those 2 spells. Nor I'm able to go for "damage" spells, since surviving has a higher priority than fast killing. That's why I chose the 15% dodge all the time, and the 12% dodge runaway. That's why I had to make my konckback (and therefore defensive) abilities into damaging abilities (both my stomp and IP are making some moderate aoe dmg). My gainer+spender combination is what I built my build around. With cleave generating 8fury/single target attack and Slam being only 15 fury I can Slam after every 2 cleaves. And if I hit 4+ enemies, I can slam after every cleave. Slamspam is my hidden weapon:)

You, on the other hand, are more into dmg, which is obvious, since "you can die", if you know what I mean. Your gainer+ spender combination is interesting, although seems very promising. It's like a constant physical DoT barbarian. Cleave knockbacks -> aoe physical dmg. Rend -> aoe physical dmg DoT. Rend kills -> aoe physical dmg DoT. I don't know how effective it will be (nobody does really:) but it can cause really nice chain reactions (if ofc Bloodbath should trigger itself, and why shouldn't it).

That Revenge+Grudge something I really need to fit into my build:)
  5. redrach

redrach IncGamers Member

I think it's mostly for thematic reasons. :p
    The Barbarian was meant to look very physically powerful, and knocking enemies into the air fits the bill.
    The fact that it'll help in HC is probably only coincidental.

6. Lucas S

Lucas S IncGamers Member

Cleave, Rend, Seismic Slam and Revenge are all multi-target skills. You have to consider making the build more versatile for boss fights too.

And to be frank, I am not a big fan of Seismic Slam after having tried it... but this could be a matter of personal preference and play style.
  7. Sooru

Sooru IncGamers Member

Barbarian only has four single target skills, Bash, Frenzy, Ancient Spear and Weapon Throw, which I like. It's basically a question about Cleave or Bash, everything else can be kept as is, since the skills don't really combo together unlike Monk or DH.

I agree though about switching Cleave here to Bash instead. Not for bosses, since single target boss fights will probably be such a small time of total /played, the added multi target dps from Cleave would often be better in the end. This is only needed if you simply can't kill the boss without dedicated single target skill.

With so many knockbacks the mobs will no doubt be thrown all over the place. Then you need to select one of them to run after and hit. The other monsters will be close to where ever you threw them so you only have one target for a while. Bash seems better fury generator in light of this.

8. Lucas S

Lucas S IncGamers Member

Well with Nephalem Valor, all builds should be well-rounded to be effective for both boss fights and general play. My personal view is that all barb builds should include either frenzy or bash for single targets. There's plenty of other skill slots for your other fancy AOE stuff :)
  9. angle

angle IncGamers Member

good luck to you .[​IMG]

10. Youngtimer

Good point, i think we will have to see how low the single-Target DPS is. But i belive that the REND will do a good Damage over Time, which _adds_ to your regular DPS of instant attacks.

Another question: Did someone know, how long the knockback effect puts the enemy out of combat?

Greetings and thanks alot for the good feedback!

Youngtimer