Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The SPF Hamachi FAQ

Discussion in 'MP Forum' started by Fast Eddie, Sep 13, 2008. | Replies: 78 | Views: 55596

1. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie IncGamers Member

The SPF Hamachi FAQ

The SPF Hamachi FAQ v1.2

CONTENTS:

- Introduction. Is Fast Eddie really that fast?
    - SPF Formalities a.k.a. Where I Try Not To Be Condescending
    - How Do I Hamachi?
    - SPF Hamachi Etiquette
    - Current SPF Hamachi Members
    - Contacting Me

===

- Introduction. Is Fast Eddie really that fast?

Hello, Fast Eddie here. I have been playing D2 for about six years now. I don’t count the period when I bought the game in 2003, made a Barbarian, put all my points in Bash, died to Blood Raven, and hated the game for nearly a year.

When I returned, I spent most of my time on BNet, gaining a L87 Barbarian and a L84 FishyMancer (ironically I used the guide from here, but didn’t then harness the true power of the SPF or NightFish). However like some people on BNet I still knew naff-all about the game, and am still learning things today. I started SPing in 2006, and found the forums later that year. It is my one true escape from RL, and like nearly everyone here, I spend more time lurking and talking about finding a Ber than actually doing something about it. My favourite classes are Sorcs and Necros, but I’d love to diversify my portfolio.

The one thing I missed about BNet was the silly chit-chat and banter. With Hamachi, some guidelines, and some like-minded people who can’t host but wish they could, I hope to kickstart the MP forum so everyone can find a Tyreal’s before D3.

- SPF Formalities a.k.a. Where I Try Not To Be Condescending

Due to certain circumstances, the SPF Hamachi networks mentioned will no longer be maintained, including accepting new members. For those that are already on the networks, they will continue to function and operate normally. if you are not a member of a Hamachi network, you are able and free to create your own, and even use this thread to maintain it. If you do so, I would suggest only giving out the details via PM as non-members can read these forum walls and posts.

- How Do I Hamatch?

I know some of you will already know how to use Hamachi, but some people are downloading the program just to MP and therefore may need some guidance. Hamachi is an application that can generate a fully-functional virtual LAN with no extra configurations. It can be downloaded here. It also comes with built-in Instant Messaging, which can quickly aid hosting problems or last-minute muling notifications. In layman’s terms it can enable someone who cannot host a game of D2 to host, and can save a lot of time with people checking PMs and thread updates and edits etc.

First off, unless you wish to install to a custom directory, the default Hamachi install settings will be fine and dandy for your MP needs. However, there are a couple of tweaks that may benefit your experience of Hamachi, including:

- In ‘Window’ under the preferences menu, there is an option to only show those persons in the network who are online. It can be handy, but I leave it switched off.

- In ‘Window’ under the preferences menu, there is an option to change what happens when you double-click on a member. By default it is set to ‘Ping’ but I find it easier to change it to ‘Send Instant Message’ (a.k.a. Open IM Chat Window).

- Just because a member’s Hamachi is left on, does not mean that they wish to MP, let alone have a char in the Act and difficulty you require help on. I doubt I speak for everyone but I for one have my Hamachi start up when my PC boots, and after a nine hour shift at 2AM Sunday morning the last thing I want to do is MP. An acceptable state of affairs would be one polite IM asking if they can MP in your favoured act/difficulty. However a ‘game up’ message should be posted in the forums, as to be discussed later.

- Right-clicking on a member’s IP can let you ping them, giving you an idea of connection speed as well as whether you would be able to connect to this host. It can also let you copy their IP address to paste in D2 in the TCP/IP menu.

- Right-clicking on a member’s IP can give you the Chat option, to IM with them. Again, it’s just that much quicker than forum refreshing/PMs but some folk may not like it/use it.

- Right-clicking on a member’s IP can give you an option to Set Label. If you click on Custom you are able to change the name that displays for that Hamachi member on your Hamachi front-end. You may want it to be identical to their forum name or change it to a word that reminds you of them.

- Double-clicking on the name of the network changes your status to offline (and vice-versa). This can be handy if you have other Hamachi networks, or simply don't want to MP but wish to leave the program running.

Once you have organised a game thorugh the forums (preferably) or IM, the IP you must connect to is the simulated Hamachi IP which begins 5.xxx.xxx.xxx. This is not the 192.xxx.xxx.xxx that D2 suggests, or the external IP gained from www.whatsmyip.org. You may need to disable your firewall. If you have a seperate firewall application (as opposed to Windows Firewall) you may not need to, as Windows Firewall is more strict than some other applications. Making an exception for Hamachi in Windows Firewall does not work, you can't host if Windows Firewall is on.

- SPF Hamachi Etiquette

There are already set rules on how to politely and successfully MP on the forums here. However there are a few pointers (merely pointers) that can enhance SPHamMP. These are:

- Post a game up or game suggestion in the forums. This will not only tell all the Hamachi members you are LFG (for lack of a better phrase) but also the non-Hamachi members as well. If they can host, then you’ve got yourself an extra player to kill some baddies with!

- Once you are hosting a game, YOU are in charge of the game. This mean the standard MP rules, including but not limited to: Your pace, your drop rules, and you reserving the right to check up on a member before you feel comfortable MPing with them, including whether they are allowed to currently MP (they may have an infraction/ban). To date every member has an intro thread posted in the SPF. Again, you are all free to create your own network(s) should you not like the rules.

- I have PM’d both SPF mods regarding the setup and continuation of the networks. This is not a threat of any sort, but due to the fact that the network has a significant amount of members, including some well-respected old-timers, purely a notification. Together with the fact that I begin the final year of my degree this year, I am not around for help.

- Current SPF Hamachi Members

This section is no longer in use or maintained due the the discontinuation of my control of the Hamachi networks.

- Contacting Me

As I have relinquished control of the Hamachi networks, and am advising enthusiasts to create their own, the best way for further help or to ask any questions would be to simply post in the thread.
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  2. friedbananazzzz

friedbananazzzz IncGamers Member

Re: The SPF Hamachi FAQ

Very nicely done. Good info.
  3. ioupainmax

ioupainmax IncGamers Member

Excellent! I might actually decide to MP one of these days...(especially after that Vex you found....damn you!!!!!!)
  4. Cheese on Toast

Cheese on Toast IncGamers Member

Nice one FE ^^

How do i Hamachieeee :D

/inside joke
  5. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

Great guide, Eddie.

I'll Sticky it for now and when the MP FAQ is finished, it will be linked to in there.

Thank you for your effort. :)
  6. Fast Eddie

Go on... You know you want to...

HEY FLAYER DUNGEON

/inside joke

Wow. A great honour, thank you.

I just want everyone to MP! It's disheartening to see so many missed games on the forums.

Thanks for the kind words all.

7. Spudnik

Spudnik IncGamers Member

Well Done Eddie :) Very nice Guide. You say everything thats needed to be said. And as Eddie said it has grown exponentially over the past couple of days, at first it was me, eddie and cheese having some private mp games, then wham people really got into it and now theres a total of 10 of us XD

Hamachi is the best thing since D2 and WoW XD
  8. Fast Eddie

Please welcome our newest member, Mr Bob T. Warrior!

@ Bob below: Have added that into the FAQ for Mr Justin Case.

@ All: The FAQ is updated. Fixed some typos and added a few lines about Windows Firewall.
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  9. BobTheWarrior

BobTheWarrior IncGamers Member

Simple and easy to join, thanks Fast Eddie.

BTW to all: Making an exception for hamachi in Windows Firewall does not work, you can't host if Windows Firewall is on. At least, not with this simple change. I suppose there is some way to setup the connection, but I'll be darned if I know how to do it :)
  10. omgwtfbbqpwned

omgwtfbbqpwned IncGamers Member

The hell, how did you find my intro thread? :eek:mg:
  11. NeoKnuckles

NeoKnuckles IncGamers Member

Nice idea with the Hamachi network and all, but there still is one question that was left unanswered.

HOW FAST, exactly, is Fast Eddie?
  12. omgwtfbbqpwned

omgwtfbbqpwned IncGamers Member

The girls still tell him no, so I'm guessing not that fast.

13. Fast Eddie

I am the Ghost of SPF past. :crazyeyes: Seriously? Looked at threads started by you, found the earliest chronologically and worked forwards. :yes:

Not as fast as I used to be. Yet another promising athletics career that lost the battle to Cornwall's influx of black tar heroin in the late nineties. :dopey:

*bans from network* :thumbup:

@ All: Kyrandia has added a second account to the network.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
  14. Cheese on Toast

Cheese on Toast IncGamers Member

Fast Eddie is SUPAR fast!1!!!1!!

seriously.. i saw it on a movie once.
  15. Fast Eddie

Thanks for the /b/ack-up Cheese. At least someone likes me :)

C'mon People. Let's keep this on topic, and make this network even better than it is! I need your comments, or even some MP anecdotes...
  16. moo-cow

moo-cow IncGamers Member

So I saw yesterday that you were hosting a game and you said it was over hamachi, is there a way for those of us not using hamachi to join without getting hamachi?
  17. Fast Eddie

I'm afraid not Moo-Cow. The virtual server that Hamachi generates is inaccessible to those without the program.
  18. Kyrandia

Kyrandia IncGamers Member

"The virtual server that Hamachi generates is inaccessible to those without the program"
    Because it uses an IP range that is reserved for private LANs, 5.225.xxx.xxx. The address won't resolve if you're not running Hamachi.

"@ All: Kyrandia has added a second account to the network."
    Not because I'm schizo but because I installed Hamachi both on my desktop and my laptop and the program assigned me a different IP for both machines.
    Is there a way to transfer a Hamachi account from 1 pc to another in order to avoid this?
  19. Fast Eddie

Well I've been scanning through Hamachi for options like this but haven't been able to find one. It's alright for the should term but should interest skyrocket again there's only a maximum of 50 people allowed on one network I believe, so we'd have to limit the network to one account per person.

20. lionheartthebrave

lionheartthebrave IncGamers Member

Will Hamachi let me MP through a router I have no way of configuring?