Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

'The Relinquisher' the guide to zerk-a-dins by jordy

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by jordy666, May 5, 2005. | Replies: 31 | Views: 18858

1. jordy666

jordy666 IncGamers Member

'The Relinquisher' the guide to zerk-a-dins by jordy

~INTRODUCTION

: re•lin•quish (r -l ng kw sh)
    tr.v. re•lin•quished, re•lin•quish•ing, re•lin•quish•es
    1. To retire from; give up or abandon.
    2. To put aside or desist from (something practiced, professed, or intended).
    3. To let go; surrender.
    The Relinquisher uses beserk skill granted by the passion runeword.
    These paladins put aside their own defence and in return their dmg is converted into magic. This guide is for Pvm/PVP purposes.

Advantages:
    - Added freedom of distribution of skill points
    - Style points for not following "cookie-cutter" builds.
    - ‘Massive’ magic dmg
    - relativly easy to get 8 frames per attack

Disadvantages:
    - Lowered efficiency in PvP
    - 0 def while attacking
    - Very limited weapon selection
    - Inherent and unavoidable chance to cause monsters to flee.

~BREAKDOWN OF 'PASSION'
    +25% Increased Attack Speed
    +160-210% Enhanced Damage
    50-80% Bonus To Attack Rating (varies)
    +75% Damage To Undead
    +50 To Attack Rating Against Undead
    Adds 1-50 Lightning Damage
    +1 To Berserk
    +1 To Zeal
    Hit Blinds Target +10
    Hit Causes Monster To Flee 25%
    75% Extra Gold From Monsters
    Level 3 Heart of Wolverine (12 Charges)

a) Hit Blinds Target +10
    The formula for calculating the actual percentage chance that you will blind your target is as follows:
    Chance = 50 + (Attacker Level + (Bonus * 4) - Defender Level) * 5
    When this triggers, it reduces the light radius of monsters greatly, making you invisible to them at certain distances. This is similar to the Necromancer Curse Dim Vision, or the Assassin Shadow Discipline Cloak of Shadows.

b) Hit Causes Monster to Flee 25%
    This is similar to triggering the Barbarian Warcry Howl. Monsters will run away from you and in order to kill them, you will have to chase them down and hope this does not trigger again before they are dead. While generally it is annoying, it can also be a saving grace in overcrowded situations.

~BASE WEAPONS OF CHOICE
    There are, in fact, very few good choices of base weapons in which a Zeal-Barb should create his 'Passion' rune word. These are the ideal weapons.

N.B.: The damage values on each weapon assume a perfect roll of 210% enhanced damage. I will not discuss the use of ranged weapons (bows and crossbows). Heck, beserk doesn't even work with bows, if it would i would be a zon player :D

a) Swords:
    - Phase Blade / 96 to 108 (102 average) / base speed -30
    - Cryptic Sword / 15 to 238 (126 average) / base speed -10
    - Conquest Sword / 114 to 164 (139 average) / base speed 0

b) Axes:
    - Ettin Axe / 102 to 204 (153 average) / base speed 10
    - Berserker Axe / 74 to 220 (147.5 average) / base speed 0
    - War Spike / 93 to 148 (120 average) / base speed -10

c) Maces:
    - Caduceus / 114 to 133 (123 average) / base speed -10
    - Scourge / 9 to 247 (128 average) / base speed -10
    - Legendary Mallet / 155 to 189 (172 average) / base speed 20

Required Increased Attack Speed IN ADDITION TO 'Passion's inherent 25% to reach certain speed breakpoints:
    Basespeed -30: hits 8 fpa without any ias
    Basespeed-10: hits 9 fpa without any ias and 8 fpa with 2 extra ias :)
    Basespeed: 0: hits 9 fpa without any ias and 8 fpa with 19ias.
    Basespeed:10:hits 10 fpa without any ias, 7 ias for 8 fpa and 40 ias for 8 fpa
    Basespeed 20:- 7 ias for 10 fpa, 25 ias for 9 fpa and 67 ias needed for 8 fpa

~ATTRIBUTES AND SKILLS
    Attribute distribution is pretty much the same as for any other melee build. Your base attributes will depend on your final gear; gathering all endgame equipment before starting your (or at least spending Stat Points) is suggested.

Strength: Enough to wear your gear. Keep in mind the "Strength bug" when choosing a base Strength value.
    Dexterity: If you're wearing a shield, then have enough Dexterity to achieve maximum block percentage, 75% with holy shield
    Vitality: Put everything you can spare into Vitality. Paladins gain 3 Health Points per Stat Point spent in Vitality; more life means you die less often, which is something you'll find is a good goal to aim for. 
    Energy: There is no need for Energy in this build. beserk costs 2 Mana Points per attack. And although beserk doesnt leech, and small Zeal will fill that blue orb.

You have a lot more freedom than many other builds in terms of Skill Point layout, because the use of a item for a attack skill frees up at least 40 points which would normally be spent on a Combat Skills, prerequisite(s) and synrgs. You can thus finish your actual build at a much earlier level, closer to 75 or 80, compared to 90 or 95 from other builds.

Fanatism: 20 points. Extra ED%, IAS and AR, the only aura to be considered.
    Holy shield: 20 points. Adds a crapload of defence(which doesnt help when attacking) and also helps with blocking and blocking speed, so u dont need as much dex points.
    blessed aim: 20 points. Fanatism will be your active aura but this aura gives 5% AR per lvl invested in it.
    Zeal 4 points. This wil give 5 hit zeal, and with fanatism this will give semi decent ar/dmg and speed.
    The resist aura’s rest points. 2 points in the resist aura’s will give 1 to max resist to the res of the aura, lvl 10 lighting res aura will give +5% max resitance.

~SUGGESTED EQUIPMENT
    WEAPON:
    In my opinion, the best choices for 'Passion' are Phase Blade, Scourge, Cryptic Sword, Conquest Sword and Berserker Axe.

HELM:
    Guillaume's Face – This helm reigns king in terms of special damage sources. With a whopping +35% Crushing Blow and 15% Deadly Strike, e. For Non-Ladder players, I would suggest this as an endgame helm. Its low, low price is a very fun bonus for players who are not extremely rich, or who don't feel like investing much in their ‘Relinquisher’.
    Andariel's Visage – Arguably the most underrated helm in the game. While many players dismiss it as "noob trash," it provides mods that are extremely important for melee builds – a bonus to All Skills, IAS, Life Leech, and even Strength. But it looks crap
    Shako – If u need extra skill and already have ias, u can consider the standard headgear of 95% of b.net aka the cow scrotum aka the condom.

ARMOR:
    'Duress' – An extremely useful armor for a Crushing Blow build. Providing Crushing Blow, Resistances, FHR, and even some Damage mods, it's a well-balanced and relatively cheap option.
    'Chains of Honor' – Sweet chocolate Jesus. With +2 to All Skills, +65 to All Resistances, DR, Strenght the defence isnt really all that high, but since u will be zerking most of the time, it will be 0
    'Fortitude' – Ah yes, the unmistakable "it" RW of the new Ladder season. the usability between this and CoH is a toss-up for personal preference, it doesnt grant +skill, but the 300 ED really adds up :D
    'Stone' – The unmistakable king of Defensive capabilities. Massive Defense, FHR, and some resists make it a fun armor to mess around with, but since defence doesnt really help when attacking, its only the 60 fhr, res and the duel stats
    Shaftstop – very plain and simple, it looks cool and adds 30% DR and 60 life, if u need DR and got ias/fhr covered this is the way to go.
    Twitchthroe – Geez jordy what are u smoking, that armor can be found and normal, it must be sucky. WRONG, duel stats, 20 ias/blocking and fhr are quite nice.
    OTHER SUGGESTIONS: Skin of the Vipermagi, 'Smoke,' 'Lionheart,' Naj's Light Plate, pretty much anything with a combination of Skills/Resists/Defense.

SHIELD:
    Herald of Zakarum – 20 str/vit, nice blocking rate, 50 res and even 20% to AR, very nice if u play PVM or for PVP if u got ur DR covered.
    Alma Nagra – 75% to dmg/AR and nice block rate, often overlooked but very helpfull.
    Stormshield – The (almost) undisputed powerhouse of non-Paladin shields. However, it lacks in the Resistance department, and a socket with Um or a Perfect Diamond is suggested and it almost singlehanded solves ur DR% problem
    'Sanctuary' – An extremely viable option. This is the ideal choice if your resists are sagging. Prefrably made in a pala only shield if u need res make it in a res shield, and if u need ar/dmg make it in a ar/dmg shield :)
    'Phoenix' – Although this shield is very costly it isnt really all that good, sure it has massive ED and a free redemttion aura. But the ctc firestorm will stop your attack and the block ‘sucks’.
    OTHER SUGGESTIONS: Nothing in particular; just look for a high Block Rate, Defense, and Resists; FBR is always a good companion as well.

GLOVES:
    Bloodfist – 40 life, 30 fhr and often overlooked but very important for this char +5 min dmg.
    Laying of Hands – Providing an important 20% IAS as well as bonus Damage to Demons and Fire Resist, these are a great pair of gloves to have. Low defense but great overall usability.
    Lava Gout – With 20% IAS, decent Defense (the best of all the 20% IAS gloves), Fire Resist, and a highly underrated chance to cast Enchant (which will help your naturally low AR).
    Magnus’s skin – With 20% ias, fire res and some straigt added AR these arent the worst gloves of em all. However u should only wear these in conjuction with Guillaume's face since they are part of the same set and give 35 extra life.
    OTHER SUGGESTIONS: Rares, baby. Look for pairs with 20% IAS, Leech, Resists, Stat bonuses. Soul Drainer is great for Dual Leech but I'd look elsewhere for that, it's more of a toss-up between Life Tap and IAS as far as gloves go. DO NOT wear Steelrend – the damage increase is negligible while the Strength investment is too high. IK Gloves, coupled with the Belt, provide pretty nice bonuses as well – Strength, Dexterity, IAS, Resists, and nice Defense. Even sigons gloves + belt/boot is worth it – Life leech and 30 ias.

BELT:
    Verdungo's Hearty Cord – The obvious choice. With much-needed DR and a sizeable bonus to Vitality, in addition to great defense and other useful mods, this is by far one of (if not THE) best belt ever created for D2.
    Thundergod's Vigor – With a very nice boost to Strength and Dexterity, TGod's is a viable option but not the best. When fighting Souls, however, this might be a good option.
    String of Ears – The outdated but not useless favorite belt of 1.09. DR and Life Leech make it a good, cheap belt.

BOOTS:
    War Traveler – the added dmg really adds up, and the 10 str/vit are also helpfull.
    Gore Riders – Another obvious choice. The special damage mods on these will go a long way to help your damage.

AMULET:
    Highlord’s wrath - 20 ias and deadly strike and +1 skill, even if u dont need the ias this is the best amulet for a Relinquisher
    Angelic amulet – only to be considered if u use Angelic rings, for 75/10dex and a boat load of AR

RINGS:
    Raven Frost – An all-around favourite. With a huge AR bonus (which you may very well need), Dexterity, and most importantly Cannot be Frozen, at least one of these should be worn at all times.
    Bul-Kathos' Wedding Band – Some very useful mods can be found on this ring. Most important is the bonus to All Skills, but the Life Leech is definitely great. Can't overlook the life either. It's my suggested second ring slot.

CHARMS:

Annihilus: the +skill, res and the stats cant be beat, try to get this since it really really helps your char.
    Max/AR/Life: Any sizes, the extra dmg/ar and life are always helpfull.

My Relinquisher uses:
    Passion BA
    Coh wire fleece
    Bloodfist
    Wartravs
    Bk ring
    Ravenfrost
    Highlords
    HoZ
    Verdungo’s
    Shako

~STRATEGY
    - Since beserk doesnt leech, use a fast zeal if u red and blue orb are lacking.
    - Always keep holy shield on, u will need the fast block rate.
    - Although it isnt necery for PVM, having close to 50 DR is very helpfull, since u will get hit. And reducing the dmg by +/- 50 is very helpfull.

Any help, other then ‘OMG SM1TARS PWNZORZ Uh!!1one’
  2. dymi

dymi IncGamers Member

I am impressed :)
    Sth new and fresh :)
    In addition to DR take the holy freeze merc with reapers.
    Slowed, Decrep, monsters with 50 % DR is very very nice low damage to you
    Also try to load some FHR charms

And good luck
  3. batuchka

batuchka IncGamers Member

Hmm would you consider Spirit runeword in an elite pally shield with resists a viable end game shield as it would boost the berserk skill..and has massive FHR..some life? I actually have a smealot and he uses a Passion Cryptic and a Spirit sacred Targe on switch (Grief PB/HOZ on main) and since smite stuns and is ITD in PvM i find it kindda fun smiting PIs and zerking or just zerking OB Knights when i'm under Iron Maiden curse them hehe. Also would Kira's Guardian be an option for this build for resists/cbf in your opinion? Great guide and thanks for sharing :D
  4. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

assuming pvm, what merc would you suggest roaming around with? I guess HolyFreeze is good as always, since monsters wont hit you that often then.
    Might for some extra hard-bashing perhaps?
    At least its great to say that defiance isnt even a part of the discussion :D
  5. Tastychiken_europe

Tastychiken_europe IncGamers Member

Another Build on jordys Build can xD.
    just kidding, whats the stats on this pally (if u have one so asay :D ).
    + how do u think it would work in PvP?
    and last q, Is It Fun??? (most important one jordy :uhhuh: )
  6. JanusJones

JanusJones IncGamers Member

Sigh . . .

I had the Zeal Barb idea, and first I got flamed, then someone wrote a guide.

I had the Berzerking pally idea, and then someone wrote a guide.

Sigh . . .
  7. Fallen Creation

Fallen Creation IncGamers Member

Actually, I'm pretty sure Jordy wrote his Zealbarb guide before your join date. :thumbsup:
  8. KillJoyBob

KillJoyBob IncGamers Member

Nice guide.

1. How much damage is your guy doing with berserk? How much AR does he have?

2. Since good leech is not as easily achieved these days, Redemption might be another option for recouping life/mana. If you don't want to spend skill point, just find a scepter with +skills to Redemption (weapon switch).
  9. [exile]

[exile] IncGamers Member

|giggles| I was wondering when you would change the guide into this.

May I be nitpicky and complain about the grammar? :p

Awh, I was hoping to see myself in the credits section.

Take care!

Oh, one thing -- putting any extra points into Zeal might be unnecessary, since you get a bonus from Passion anyways. Unless you're counting on gear that majoritarily sacrifices +Skills.
  10. Tastychiken_europe

Tastychiken_europe IncGamers Member

Jordy 1 thing.. since ur on europe i would love to see your palla in work :D, not PvP wise :). Just for funs :D
  11. [exile]

[exile] IncGamers Member

:eek:

Sorry about being nitpicky.

Actually Jordy moved to East a couple months ago, so I think his Relinquisher is there.
  12. jordy666

:eek:

I switched back to europe, since east really lagged and u and rikstaker and other forumites were never online when i was. Damn the time difference.

And it isnt on Europe too, its on singleplayer :D

if anyone knows a host where to host a zip file, u can download and play with it, and tweak some with teh build and help with teh guide :clap:

-jordy :king:
  13. rikstaker

rikstaker IncGamers Member

Sigh...
    Another of your :cheesy: builds guide.Anyway good work.

What would happen in zealbarb vs zerkadin?

<==========New tar. :lol:

Rik
  14. KillJoyBob

I'll ask again,

How much damage is your guy doing with berserk? How much AR does he have?
  15. jordy666

linky

-jordy :king:
  16. batuchka

batuchka IncGamers Member

Hey i like your idea! Perhaps then we could make a Passion r/w in a cadacues ...hmm if it had more skills it'll rock :D Also for PvM maces/scepters get +50ed vs undead hehe

Jordy: Thanks for providing us with that link :p So in your experience what are the str/weaknesses of this build and any problematic areas in hell?
  17. JanusJones

Whoooooops! My bad! :bonk:
  18. KillJoyBob

Thanks. :thumbsup:
  19. JanusJones

Sorry about that! I'm a big fan of weird ones, and thought I'd come up with the zeal barb and zerking pally by myself - :drool: - what a doof!

But if you're in the mood for a weird build I just posted my very first guide - to a character that is in all liklihood a terrible idea, but what the hey. Check it out if you're interested!
  20. dkay

dkay IncGamers Member

very nice guide. though id recommen a barb for pvp zerking ;)

btw. link does work for me can you put it on photobucket or just tell me the stats? :)