Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

THE ranged monk.

Discussion in 'Monk' started by snurrfint, Mar 24, 2012. | Replies: 12 | Views: 5055

1. snurrfint

snurrfint IncGamers Member

THE ranged monk.

Ever since I saw the rune effects for Lashing Tail Kick I have've been playing around with the idea of an ranged monk.

For those who have not seen the rune effects, here they are. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8v7U8tVcCw
    As you can see, there is 2 ranged rune variants. Spinning Flame Kick and Hand of Yatar. The latter is a ranged AOE slow with desent dmg and the first one is a high dmg piercing AOE. Pretty sweet both of them.

The ranged monk is extreamly limited though. Essentially, the monk have one true ranged ability in Lashing Tail Kick(with runes) and one semi-ranged spirit generator in Long Reach.

So to counter the fact that the monk only have one true ranged skill (Lasing Tail Kick), we must make sure that we can use that one ranged ability as much as possible.

Here I ceated a build just for that purpose.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#bZRXjQ!bcd!YbbbbZ

A quick summary of what this build has to offer:

1. 6 spirit/second canstant generation! This is partly why this build will work at all. A combination of "Mantra of Healing -Circular Breathing" (3 spirit/s) + Chant of Resonance (2 spirit/s) and The Guardians Path (+25% spirit generation) we get a total of 6 spirit every second both in and out of combat. Thats 60 spirit in 10 seconds.

2. 200 max spirit with Exalted soul.

3. A chance to generate 20 spirit per attack with Long Reach. +6 spirit/attack +10 spirit/crit *1.25 (Guardians Path) = 20 spirit.

4. Inner Sanctuary - Consecration, allows you to keep meele enemies at bay for 8 seconds, allowing you to spam Long Reach for spirit generation, and pick off ranged unit with Spinning Flame Kick. Perfect if you are sorrounded. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFI4b6gYzoA

5. Templar + Mystic Ally for protection and CC. Mystic Ally also have 2% chance to generate 100 spirit with every attack.

Gameplay: Spam Spinning Flame Kick to pick off ranged units. Then try to let your Templar and Ally tank the melee units, then stand behind them hitting enemies with Long Reach. Finish them off with more Spinning Flame Kicks. If you are sorrounded, use Inner Sanctuary for protection. Refresh 15% dmg boost and heal upp once in a while with Breath of Heaven.

What do you guys think? Will it work? What are your ranged monk version?
  2. WhiteGiant

WhiteGiant IncGamers Member

Re: THE ranged monk.

hmm
    interresting ; though deadly reach isnt that long overall ; and only the 3 rd hit reaches up to 25 yards ; which is not even a full length of screen.

i guess 35-40 y are about a full screen. could work anyway dunno ^^ ; its nothing i could be bothered to go for for the first ~1-3 months.
    just like i wouldnt go for a melee demonhunter :p
  3. snurrfint

Hehe, well, it's about having fun isn't it. I'm pretty confident that most wacky builds in d3 will be viable, so why not have fun while farming?

Long reach is actually pretty far. If you use a weapon with cold dmg on it attacks also slow enemies down, so that you can kite them. The idea though, is to only use it when behind your templar/ally or when Inner Sanctuary is up, and only for building up enough spirit for Lashing Tail Kick.

I think it will work.

With 200 spirit you will be able to perform 6 Lashing tail kicks before using 180 spirit. By that time, your spirit regen will have generated aprox 30 spirit more so that you can perform another one to make it 7. With 240% dmg AOE and pierce, that's amazing.

Compare that to the 3 piercing arcane orbs with 175% dmg you can perform without running out of AP as a wizard.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  4. Valkemen

Valkemen IncGamers Member

5. snurrfint

It was a nice write-up and actually a pretty good translation.

I don't consider many of the abilities you mention as ranged though. I mean, they have range, but they cannot be used at range to be effective.

- Wave of light, really must be placed right infront of a pack of monsters to make up for the huge spirit cost.

- Crippeling wave is spammable but lacks range compared to long reach and is mostly effective when standing within a crowd of monsters.

What I like though is that last comment about dmg/spirit spent. That makes me look good for choosing Spinning Flame Kick. :) Someone should do this for all abilities. Of course, stuff like AOE factors in too, but it will give you a sense of how valuable a skill is.

6. kar

kar IncGamers Member

2 comments...

I think your build linked in the OP would make a good basis for a hardcore monk. The monk is already benefited by his healing and defensive skills, plus the natural 30% dmg reduction. When you add in the ranged attack, he is not going to take a lot of damage.

Hand of Ytar seems like a useful rune for PvP to fire when you want to close the gap or gang up on some poor wizard/demon hunter/witch doctor.
  7. sgtTenor

sgtTenor IncGamers Member

I was looking into something similar. I haven't done too much research on the monk as the WD will be the first I will play followed by the monk.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#beRifk!Ybd!bbbacb

I have this as a more mid-ranged monk in mind

Exalted soul - 200 spirit to help with using wave of light and sweeping wind, cyclone strike
    Transcendence will do wonders since the spirit spenders are pricey.
    Guardians path - %23 increase regeneration with deadly reach

Anyway something I thought of. Love the way different builds can be obtained. If only we could experience these builds before hell or inferno. Some runes are only available till 50+.
  8. snurrfint

That's true, forgot about that 30% increased dmg reduction. I think it could be a very good hardcore monk. It's more than possible to make a ranged barb aswell. I think both variants could be very popular in PVE later on.

9. Such Violent Storms

Such Violent Storms IncGamers Member

Here is my take! Spam LTK at range.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#bZgXdQ!Xcd!YbabbZ

I can find magic Knuckles in the beta with 1spirit/sec, so I think endgame gear + skills could easily generate 10 spirit per second.

Serenity is cheap, a good "oh sh*t" button, and breaks all CC which can be vital to maintaining range. It's also another heal!

Dashing Strike runed for only 10 spirit is an amazing kiting and movement skill, helping to maintain that range OR to dash in for Deadly Reach or a kill.

I chose Seize The Initiative because Monks will have a ton of Dexterity, and being this indomitable ranged Monk with Mantra of Healing means that staying alive and taking it slow is suited to the playstyle in some situations. The mega Armor boost from STI helps this.

Blazing Wrath is included in all the builds, it is pretty much a staple Monk skill. Easy easy across-the-board damage boost.

Whether or not to chose Hand of Ytar or Spinning Flame Kick as the rune depends on the situation. Since SFK can hit multiple enemies at once, it's suited to PvE, yet because it does 40% more damage, it is suited to PvP. The slow from HoY would help in PvP, but I might still use SFK over it.
  10. snurrfint

Yep, dual wielding those 1 spirit/sec weapons will be very very usefull for this kind of build.

I like your input though I dont agree with the changes you made. Dashing strike do not work very well as a defensive move since it requires a target to work properly. So unless you have a target behind you its a practicly useless abillity.

Also, I dont like that you swapped out Exalted soul. Seize the initiative is a good passive, but 100 more spirit means 3,3 more LTK in the beginning of every fight. With an insane regeneration, you better have an insane pool to back it up. Regeneration is useless when at full spirit, so its in your highest interest to make sure not to reach full spirit too quickly.

Serenity was however one skill I concidered to pick for this build over Inner sanctuary but I find the duration of serenity too low. But its definitly a valid choice.

11. Such Violent Storms

Yes, I just now remembered that Dashing Strike was updated to require a target to go anywhere far. Boy that ruins the fun D:

Monks default with 150 spirit, which is plenty in my opinion. STI is just way way too much Armor, on top of the armor you already have, to pass up.

12. snurrfint

Yeah, thats too bad it does not work without a target.

I donno, I just think that the armor boost would work best on a melee monk. The key with the ranged monk is that you want to avoid dmg rather than take. Toghether with Serenity the armor boost is useless too so whenever you pop serenity that passive is wasted.

Another passive I think could work good for a ranged monk is the 10% increased run speed. Seems like a good ability to be able to keep your distance to enemies, especially if you find some awesome boots with alot of +run speed on it.

13. Such Violent Storms

Staying alive is the goal of all players, really, and as a ranged Monk outlasting an opponent would help. Serenity is only 3 seconds, also. The 10% run speed passive might be cool if it could exceed the 25% cap from items. That would be awesome.