Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

The ludicrous crafter

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Dawnmaster, Apr 16, 2013. | Replies: 18 | Views: 1420

1. Dawnmaster

Dawnmaster IncGamers Member

IF I have plenty of time before the reset, I'm seriously considering making a crafted character for fun.

- has to beat the game from normal den of evil to hell baal solo (or in cooperation with other craft only characters)
    - can only wear self crafted items (no charms, but potions and scrolls are allowed)
    - will be supplied with a full stash and inventory of jewels/perfect gems/runes (and a horadric cube + 10k gold)
    - has to self-find/gamble magic items (and later on jewels/gems/runes) to craft

So, what are your suggestions?
    What character(s) would you build?
    What skills would you use?
    What gear would you want to craft?
    Are there other ideas to further "sweeten" this challenge?
  2. Lexur

Lexur IncGamers Member

Great idea. I've had it myself a couple of times... ;)

My plan was to use only one type of crafts for a character. Like a Barbarian with only blood crafted items or a safety Amazon.
    Progress would probably be slow if you only used selffound craft material. Also I would not put a limit on gold so you can gamble the correct base items.
  3. Black Lotus

Black Lotus IncGamers Member

Crafted weapons? You never roll out decent one, which makes it impossible for non-casters.
  4. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

5. Dawnmaster

It's not necessarily about rolling the best crafts there are.

It's about using the crap (and occassional lucky roll) to beat the game, it's a challenge for a reason.

There have been challenges with naked chars or cracked items only, I can't imagine using crafted items being that bad :)

And you don't need godly stats on a weapon to beat the game, just enough to stay alive and make some progress.
  6. Kitteh

Kitteh IncGamers Site Pal

Load of crap.

Also, for those familiar with previous patches; Nice 99er

Blood Craftsman
    Safety Craftsman
  7. Dawnmaster

I'm currently thinking of the following:
    - Assassin => Tiger/Cobra Strike & Bootkick (since you can't craft claws...)
    - Paladin => mainly because you can craft scepters, +skills seem very hard to obtain in crafted gear
    - Druid => thinking about a melee werebear, but slightly concerned about physical imuuns and lack of speed?
    (I know the wolf is superior in many ways, but I think the bear is more stylish ^^)

Btw, has nobody ever proposed crafting class-only items to blizzard?
  8. pharphis

pharphis IncGamers Site Pal

^Isn't fire claws the perfect skill for PIs on a shifter? (I've never done it)
  9. Kitteh

10. Dawnmaster

Here's my prelimenary setup:

Werewolf - 1 [prereq]
    Lycanthrophy - 12 [enough to get +150% life and a 5 minute duration in Werebear]
    Werebear - 20 [attack form]
    Maul - 20 [primary attack with stun]
    Feral Rage - 1 [prereq]
    Fire Claws - 12 [enough to match the ar rating of Maul]
    Firestorm - 20 [Fire Claws synergie]
    Shockwave - 1 [group stun]

With all skill quests this should be finished at lvl76.
    The plan is to kill Baal when I reach this level, then the challenge is completed.
    I will use only selfcrafted gear, no charms, and no help from anybody :thumbsup:

Crafted gear:
    Hit Power club [+2 druid skills / +2 shapeshift skills]
    Hit Power shield [increased blocking]
    All other items: Blood [life leech / life / deadly strike / open wounds / crushing blow]

So, what do you think all?
  11. Lexur

Lexur IncGamers Member

It looks possible. Are you going to use a merc?

The only issue I see is IAS. Bears need lots of IAS on weapon.
    Safety crafts could be good in some slots. (boots,amulet)
  12. Dawnmaster

I have considered using a merc, but...
    ...should I go for an Aura merc, or something else (for style points)
    ...should the merc also wear crafted items (to be true to the concept)

About the safety crafts, the Amulet is actually a good idea, can't see how I missed that one! ^^
    But I'm still doubting about the boots?
    Would it be usefull at all to get 1 item with minimal damage reductions? I'd rather go with 3 life mods then?

EDIT: I know IAS is a problem, still not sure what to do here, gloves can get 20% ias, weapon can get 40% ias, is this enough, or should I try to solve my problem by socketing a crafted weapon with shael (this is balancing on the border qua keeping true to the concept imo), or perhaps equip my merc with something that has an aura with ias (if such exists? and is still true to the concept?)
  13. Kitteh

The merc would have to wear crafted items really. You would obviously benefit from the aura, but the barbarians bash attack would be useful too.
  14. Dawnmaster

Just a headsup on crafting: you can't craft swords or bows, infact, the only crafteable merc weapon is a safety spear.

I can use skills and "intelligence" to work my way through the world of diablo with medium-crap gear, a merc on the other hand will die so much, it's either go without in hell, or equip decent gear on him.
  15. Kitteh

16. Dawnmaster

You can craft different items on single player?
  17. Kitteh

18. Dawnmaster

Missa understand.

I've started the LudicrousCraft druid yesterday, played a few hours (and this morning half an hour before work ^^)
    At first glance it's hard, very very hard, I'm lvl8 now and still can't wear any items, half the items are not even available for crafting at my lvl, and those crafted (from lvl1) are minimum lvl14 and 20+
    I haven't died yet, but I foresee lots of it in the nearby future :p

The only way I'm getting any progress at all is because I'm using the FireClaw synergy Firestorm (I consider respeccing as cheating as I could easily surround myself with wolves and let them do the killing for me)
    Secondary problem is that although my merc raises the killing speed, I spend a lot of time keeping her alive with potions (crafting armor for her is pointless as it'll have lvl20+ anyway and by then I'll have an aura merc)

EDIT:
    He's lvl14 and finally made it into act2, Andariel went down suprisingly fast (compared to the regular creeps and bosses), got myself an act2 combat merc and equipped my first items: 2 crap rings and crap gloves ^^
    Also crafted items for my merc, but sofar it can't equip anything, so it's even more useless than the archer (anybody knows how to trigger the aura? it doesn't seem to come up)

My werebear killing speed is ridiculous (no weapon), but firestorm still works fine, however with no life/armor, I'm drinking so much potions I seem like an alcoholic :p
    And for some reason I keep encountering double or tripple packs with a resurrecter, or even 1 or 2 bosses (only real problem is when they move fast, or have a boss with elemental enchanted)
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  19. Dawnmaster

Appearantly self crafting is not an option upon start because I can't access the items until my level is high enough (at lvl20 I still couldn't gamble/buy/find the minimum armor needed), so for the moment I've halted my project, going to gather enough supplies and try again (thinking about buying the items with another character and letting a lvl1 mule craft them)

I think I'll have to come up with a new plan: allow respec (since I was only using firestorm which wasn't an attack, since bear was still not viable at lvl20 even while "cheating" a little by using the weapon I crafted for my merc) and with other skills to speed up progress I can start wearing crafted items?

This way I'll still only use crafted items, but atleast I'll be able to actually do something in the game.

What do you guys think?